3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Horse stall mat from TSC for backstop  (Read 493 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Horse stall mat from TSC for backstop
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
I have read a few post about using rubber horse mat for a backstop.  I have something that works okay in my barn for winter shooting, but it is low to the ground.  I really need to get level to do some form work this winter.  I was going to get one of these mats to hang from my roof trusses and hang a bag in front.  

There are a couple things of concern with this system.  I have not read much on penetration or rebound with these. Will a mid weight bow and arrow set-up shot at 10 yd. penetrate the mat?  If so how much?  I want to make sure I have sufficient space being the mat if this is an issue.  Second concern is will arrows bounce off the mat?  Some arrows I shot have 200 gr. points and those don’t penetrate the best on some materials.  I don’t want to be dodging arrow on closer shots blind or blank bale practice shooting.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horse stall mat from TSC for backstop
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
I have one mounted on a frame I made for shooting in my basement so I don't hit the concrete wall. I shoot 55# and have not had a pass thru. It's so good I might make another to put behind my outdoor bales of excelsior.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Bill how much penetration do you get on average? How far from your wall do you have it?  Do you get any rebounds?
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I mounted my TSC mat on a frame made out of 2x2s to stop any errant shots behind my 3D target.  I've found that with my setups a deflected arrow will bounce off the mat a couple of feet (not very much return energy), I can get penetration on direct shots but I'd say half of the time they bounce off as well.

All my bows draw 45-50# at my 30" DL and my arrows weigh in anywhere from 450-600 grains.  I found that mounting the mat so it has a little "give" in the center absorbs some extra enegery on direct hit.  I also positioned the mat so the bottom "ridged" section faces the shooter and I like to think that the lack of a uniform surface aids in shock absorbtion as well.

I have yet to have an arrow penetrate more than a couple of inches on my mat and I'm confident in saying that your proposed setup should work well for your purposes.

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
I shoot a 50# bow and have had no more than 4" of penetration.  I zip tied a large piece of cardboard to when i got my daughter a bow so her arrows wouldn't bounce back at us.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I have the same TSC stall matt set up behind a bag in my backyard - up against the garage.  I shoot up to 750 grain arrows and 60#s and never had a pass thru.  I even shot a dull two blade broadhead into it and didn't get a pass thru - the tip went through but that was all.  Don't get bounce out arrows either.  Just hang the matt from the top and let the bottom swing.  If you are still concerned hang some carpeting in front of the matt.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
pete nailed it-that's how mine are done.  I have conveyor belts in some places too, they work great if you can find them
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Yep, leave the bottom loose and it'll help limit bounce backs and penetration.

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Pretty much the same here. My arrows hit and just fall to the ground. I've never had to avoid being hit by a bounce back.

My brother to test it out shot my back stop from 10 ft with an 80# compound with a broadhead on the arrow. There was only about 6 inches of penetration. So as long as you let the bottom hang loose I really think you'll be ok.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
When I was a kid my Dad would bring me hay bales from the dairy to use.  I shot so much they wore out pretty quick, one day he brought home this mat. It was probably 4x6 feet 1 inch thick hard rubber. We put it behind the bales and it worked great.
Whatever it was it was tough, shot a Bear stainless razorhead into it and it curled all the way up the ferrule.
Now that I think about it, its probably still leaning up against the fence at the old house....

Eric

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  Just got back from picking one up.  They are on sale! You got to love it when that works out.  I don’t see where I will be shooting through one.  So as long as I don’t get them bounding back, this thing will be great, all but the smell anyway.  

Should have done this a long time ago. I would have a lot fewer holes in my work bench, tool box…I may even get another for an outdoor range backer.  I have a dirt pile, but these would be better yet and not much of an investment.

Getting ready to put a board on the top edge, put on some small chain I have and hoist it up in the barn to hang.  Not a very light or easy to handle item, but I got a tractor with a loader to make short work of it.  A tie down strap is a good thing to have along when you get one so you can roll it up and keep it rolled to better lift and load it.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
What was the cost?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
$35 for a 4'x6'. About .50 a pound.   :D

Offline HenrikBP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
That's a good price for the mat.

I have a frame-mounted mat as my outdoor backstop and a free-hanging mat as backstop in the barn. I'd hoped I would be able to hoist up the barn one with rope and pulleys, but it's quite heavy and not as easy as I'd wanted.

As for arrow hits; 45# draw weight with ~600 grain arrows. Direct hit from ~10' has just the 125 grain point barely poking out the back. A bit of a struggle to pull out, but better than the alternative   :)
Morrison 17" ILF riser w/ "long" foam core recurve limbs. 47# @ 28"
Morrison 15" metal riser w/ "Short" Max1 limbs. 45# @ 27"
Toelke Whip HS TD 58", 47# @ 28"
Martin Hatfield TD. 55# @ 28"

Offline Q73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
I think I need one of these mats. Any New Mexico guys no where I can buy one?
Turkey Creek Extreme - 57#@28"
Black Creek Banshee - 41#@28"
Yellowstone Express - 53#@27"

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I used to use a horse mat,but switched to  used conveyor belt from a local quarry.
My arrows would pass anywhere from a couple inches to almost complete pass throughs with the stall mat.(55-80# longbows with heavy wood arrows) It would leave a rubber burn down the side of the wood arrow.The conveyor belt has steel belting in it and the arrows don't even go past the field points now.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Me too goshawkin. Mine came from a coal mining operation. field points just bounce off. And it was free.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Go to a local auto salvage yard and pick up old rubber truck bed mats, $10-$15, close to 3/8" thick. I use a bale press which limits penetration but still get some of the shaft through the bale. I cut the mat in half, hang it from the top, and leave the bottom loose. Gives me 3/4" of protection. Even my compound won't pass thru...
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I was given two rubber truck bed liners. I have them hanging in my roof covered bag target frame. They are hanging on behind the other on a 2x6 one on one side and one on the otherside. So there's a 1 1/2" space between the two and only penetrates the first but not the second.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
They are a great backstop. I'll be buying one or two more for various 3d targets

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©