3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Horse stall mat from TSC for backstop  (Read 494 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horse stall mat from TSC for backstop
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
I thought about a truck bed mat, but didn't know how they would work, and never thought about a salvage yard to get one.  Should be able to get them about 4'x6' or 4'x8'.  Should work.  Maybe for the next one. Bed bat should be lighter also.  Maybe I will move the stall mat outdoors in the spring and look for a bed mat for the indoor range for something a little lighter to move around.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Well I got my mat all hung in the barn yesterday.  Works great!  I did some intentional shooting of the mat.  So far I have shoot up to 55# draw weight bow with about 600 gr. field tip arrow at as little as 5 yd.  They stick in but only a little past the shoulder of the tip point.  Not even showing on the backside.  I can't see getting penetration through with field points unless I pound on it a lot.  May try a broadhead just for fun.  I think you could hang a paper target on one of these and just shoot it for a long time.  Still have to try a kid’s bow on it to see if they bounce back. This could be a good option for a  broadhead target with a dull head.  

I did find that they had two different mat’s there.  The one I got was 4x6 and about ¾” thick. They also had ones that were 4x4, but not as thick and with a diamond plate type top surface.  Could be different people are using different ones. The one I got I can’t see shooting through with anything I will ever shoot for bow and arrow weight.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Mine are hung from the rafters of my basement ceiling and are loose on the bottom.  There is some free space behind all of them.  (I have them mounted on all 3 sides of the target area.) I have never had one stick into the mat even when I tried-to intentionally for a safety test.  The density of the material combined with the "give" by not securing the bottom is why I think they do not penetrate.  I have had friends with 70+ pound bows hit them from 10 yards away and still not get any penetration with target points.  Broadheads are another story as they will get caught in the mat.  Arrow rebound from an arrow striking a mat has never exceed 2 yards regardless of  the bow's poundage.  In my experience, this is the safest setup that I know of.

I got my current mats from our local high school wrestling program when they replaced their old ones.  They were going to have to pay someone to take the old ones away.  I got them free for the hauling so several of my friends are now well equipped.  But I know others that just use the old cow milking stall mats (as I do live in the Dairy state) from farmers.

Offline HenrikBP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Q73; You can try tractor supply - they have the stall mats on their site:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003
Morrison 17" ILF riser w/ "long" foam core recurve limbs. 47# @ 28"
Morrison 15" metal riser w/ "Short" Max1 limbs. 45# @ 27"
Toelke Whip HS TD 58", 47# @ 28"
Martin Hatfield TD. 55# @ 28"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
I have the TSC stall mat in back of my Rinehart deer. Saves a lot of arrow looking time especially with guests and grandkids. I bought the one about 1/2" thick and like you nailed a board across the top and hung it with a chain suspended between two trees. I also hung a section of carpet in front of it to dampen the shots. The kids bows will penetrate the carpeting but barely stick into the mat. My bows will penetrate about 3" or less.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
What is TSC ?.trying to figure out where you guys buy them.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by champ38:
What is TSC ?
"Try Stopping Carbons"  :D   Just kidding,it's Tractor Supply Company.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Tractor supply, but probably at about any larger farm supply store.

Click the link up a few posts by HenrikBP.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
xtrema...most arrows just bounce out. Broadheads have yet to poke thru.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©