3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In memory of Paul Schafer  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
In memory of Paul Schafer
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Today marks 20 years since Paul Schafer left this Earth. I did not know of him until maybe 10 years ago. I have read everything I could find and watched the videos here on this site many times. He seemed to be an amazing man. I'm really looking forward to the release of the book by Bob Windauer. But for now is there any Tradgangers that have some fond stories they would like to share? God speed Mr. Schafer.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: In memory of Paul Schafer
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
20 years,incredible. Thanks for remember such a giant of the sport.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
yeah, time sure does fly by...  I never met Paul but talked to him several times during the 80's and early 90's.  I still have some of his handwritten letters, brochures, and bow pictures (Kodak was the only thing in those days).  Sure wish he was still with us!  Great guy!

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Thanks for remembering. The fact it's been twenty years astounds me. Paul was one of my best friends. I've pretty much shared all my "Schaf stories" over the years via magazine articles, books, campfires and the internet. He was an amazing person. I recently spent the Christmas holidays in Montana with my daughter. As a stroke of pure luck I happened to bump into Paul's youngest sister, Peggy, in the grocery store. We had a nice visit and I was brought up to speed on some things that were both good and bad since I left Montana. I'm obviously not going to get into personal business here, but it made me realize I still don't understand why he was taken at such an early age when he had so many lives to influence. Time heals but I still miss the man and his friendship. BW

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
I never knew him but feel like I did through the stories about him. I'm glad he shared his great bow design with the world and Dave was there to carry it on.

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Per the stories, truly a specimen Human Being.  His legacy has influenced many of us and will likely only grow with time!

Thank you Barry and all the others who have written and shared your relationship with him with all of us.

I wished I could have met him as well.

Kris

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
Paul inspired me through the writing of the Wensel's. Because of folks like Paul, Gene and Barry, Ron la Clair, Charlie Lamb and a host of others, I continue my journey with a Traditional bow in my hand........    :notworthy:      :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
great post
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
I can still remember the shock of hearing he had passed away.  It is hard to believe it has been 20 years.

D.P.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
I'll also add, one of the reasons I own a Silvertip.....took me a while but I finally got one!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Paul sent me a bow on Friday, I called him the following Monday to thank him and tell him how pleased I was. I never reached him then  some time that week, Tim Golder from PA told me about the accident.
 A month later, I moved to NC.  Seems like yesterday
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
Paul sent me a bow on Friday, I called him the following Monday to thank him and tell him how pleased I was. I never reached him then  some time that week, Tim Golder from PA told me about the accident.
 A month later, I moved to NC.  Seems like yesterday
I hope you still have that bow.  If you don't, I bet you wish you did.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Recently picked up a Silvertip, that was one of the last bows Paul was working on when he had his accident. Bow was finished by Dave Windauer, bow is everything I had initially heard about them. It is an honor to be carring this bow on my hunting trips,and sorta feels like I have a sort of bond with the man through his bow.  :thumbsup:

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
For those of you experienced with both Paul's and Dave's work, are there any differences in the bows? just curious about the early models compared to the new ones.I know Paul's were not FF, anything else?
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
I would give anything to have met him ,just to talk hunting and be around him. I think those of you that got to, are better people for knowing him. I still cant find the videos with him in it.

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
The inscription on my Silvertip reads "Life is good, but hard". Told it was from Mr. Schafer's personal papers. From the accounts I have read of his life, he was a true adventurer. Rest in peace.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
I was able to get a custom made one with two sets of limbs a few months before he died. I had the pleasure of talking to him a few times on the phone but never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. I was shocked when I found out he had died. I still have the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
My bow burnt up in a house fire January 1996. I shot one dear with it and retired it. I wish I had it, had two sets of limbs, one net camo under glass, and the other snake skinned .
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Wanted to by a bow from him, talked several times on the phone but with two young boys, just couldn't afford one....but have one from Dave....

I still have the TBM magazine with him on the cover and the article from when he passed.....

Never saw one of Paul's bows in person...but I'm not sure how much better one could be from what Dave makes!

Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©