3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In memory of Paul Schafer  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In memory of Paul Schafer
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Some of my favorite Paul Schafer pics:

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Paul was a bowhunting icon for me back in the day. I remember reading on of Barry's stories in Bowhunter magazine back in the 80's and then seeing one of his bows when Gene was carting them around during his Whitetail seminars with Dick Idol. At that point, I started thinking about going back to traditional. It was a sad day when I  happened to glance at a magazine rack when Traditional Bowhunter had him on the cover after he died, the first I had heard about his death. That was the first issue I bought of TB.  A few months later my son was born and I named him Schafer. In '99 I was able to buy a Schafer bow from Dave and 3 years ago I handed it down to my son. I miss Paul as much as i miss Fred Bear
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
VT'er:

It was Barry Wensel who influenced me to get into traditional archery as well....from the classic video "Bowhunting October Whitetails".  At the end of the video the credits mentioned Schafer Silvertip bows, what Barry shot at the time...which is when after shooting a Bear Kodiak for a while...I called Paul to talk about a 'Tip...so, Barry, if you read this.....a big thanks to you....!

The TBM cover from 1993

\\
Lee Vivian

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
I wasn't into archery until after his passing.  I read everything I can on the history of this lifestyle, and he has been one of my heroes for a long time.  So much so, that when my wife and I welcomed our first son into the world last summer, we named him Schafer Curtis.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
I ordered a "tip" from Paul and later acquired the prototype of the Silver Ghost or something like that made by Paul for Martin to produce, I think. I didn't realize it until  He called one night wanting the serial number for "accounting"  purposes. I used the Silvertip he made to kill a gator back around 1990, which may have been the first legal gator killed by a trad bow in modern times, maybe. Paul was excited when I called and had me send him a pic of the gator. Who knows maybe it's floating around somewhere. The handle eventually broke on that bow, and a few years after the handle was replaced a limb broke. My original Schafer is now an original Windauer, one of the first I might add. I still have the original limbs, broken as they may be, as I can't seem to part with them. Perhaps I'll sacrifice them to a good fire with good friends around who can remember the man.
DonD

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
That would be such a great thing to have met him. A great  way  to honor Paul is to take animals with the bow he is responsible for creating! My Schafer is one heck of a  fantastic bow. Lets see some hero shots with some Schafer's fellas

Here's to you Paul, God speed...

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
R.I.P Paul. Thanks for all you did, to make this great sport part of what it is. One of the true icons.  God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
I couldn't be more proud to be named after him. Thanks Dad.

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Ive hung onto the TBM magazine with Paul on the cover and put it in a plastic sleeve. Looking forward to the book. Two decades have passed, he is not forgotten.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lee Viv:
Some of my favorite Paul Schafer pics:

Without trying to hijack this thread, it should be noted that though Paul is the man shown on the left side of the photo, the archer that killed this bear is Bart Schleyer, shown on the right side of this photo.  For those that don't know, Bart's story is every bit as much intriguing as Paul's.  see:  
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/mark-t-sullivan/2007/09/last-wild-man     and     http://www.heartlandoutdoorsman.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6895

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
I shoot a Silvertip that was made by Paul. The bow was not built for me, I acquired from the original owner. I always tell the younger generation of bowhunters to check out Paul Schafer online, read about what a true outdoorsman and hunter was really like, none of the commercialization or hype surrounding some of today's "hunting experts" RIP Paul Schafer! Thanks for the bow and the memories!

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Creekwood, you are correct...Bart shot the bear while Paul filmed it....the video is amazing!  Bart's story is poignant as well.  In fact, three of those four in the picture are no longer with us due to tragic accidents/encounters.

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
I would have Loved to share a after the Hunt ,Beer with that Man!So Young,So sad an ending!
Barry, Can you post a Pic, of Paul's Bow/Bow's,that you have?Sort of like looking at the Holly Grail of Trad Hunting.
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Awesome post Gentlemen.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by duncan idaho:
For those of you experienced with both Paul's and Dave's work, are there any differences in the bows? just curious about the early models compared to the new ones.I know Paul's were not FF, anything else?
Dave learned from Paul, and kept the bow evolving just as Paul would have. I've owned/own quite a few. Made by both.
Paul taught Dave well, and Dave kept going.
I had the #10 serial# Silvertip. It was made by Paul for Paul Brunner before they had their differences. The inscription read" May the wind always be to your BACK!". It was named the Running Ram for a hunt they had between them. It was a whopping 86# @ 27".
When Paul passed, I gave the bow to Dave W.
Years later, my friend's husband was fighting cancer and they were broke. Dave and Beth auctioned the bow and gave the money to the family in need. I'll never forget that.

David M. Conroy

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
My favorite and go to bows. Wish I could get one made by Paul but my two made by Dave are top notch.

"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Nice Bows Gentelman! But Danny ,,--That is a SHOW STOPPER!I bet you will never let that bow, breath the Mountain Air?(LOL)I know I could not hunt with it,like you!
I dont believe that I would want something that ornate,for fear of Scratching it!Awesome Gentleman! Keep them coming guy's,it wont get Old!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Who own's Paul's personal Bow? Wife/Son/Dave?

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Sorry to say I've only got two of Paul's bows left. I lost a total of six he made for me in a fire I had in '99. The two I have left I've pretty much retired. I don't know how to post pictures and I don't have any handy around here anyway. The one bow is a 60" takedown that I took on a flight to a hunt in Texas. When I arrived my bow case had tire tracks going across it compliments of Delta Airlines. Belief it or not the limbs both made it but the riser cracked under the pressure. It's not a really bad crack and I could probably still shoot the bow but I don't dare. I have two sets of limbs for it. The one is numbered #957 and 70 lbs. @ 28" with rattlesnake skins on the front of the limbs and green universal camo cloth under clear glass on the back. The other set of limbs is marked #1014 and #71 lbs. @ 28". It's the same both back and front with brown camo cloth/netting under clear glass. The inscription reads " 60" Silvertip T.D. by Schafer Custom made for a special friend Barry Wensel. Thanks for all your support. May your arrows fly true". I hunted with it for years and I killed a pile of stuff with it. It was always one of my favorite bows he made for me. The other one is really special. I won't get into it as it's a really long story which I believe I already wrote about on TG several years ago. Maybe someone can find it in the archives but I don't even remember what the thread was titled. I also wrote an entire article on the bow for PBS magazine several years ago. Paul made the bow for himself as a personal "camp bow" as a back-up in case someone needed one in camp. He made it at "only" 70 lbs. at 28" so "anyone" could use it. I had to laugh at that which was pure Schafer. The funny part is everyone who pulls the thing seems to think it's a lot more than 70 lbs. I've never tested it but I'm sure it's more like #76 or #78 lbs. It's pretty stout. I won't get into the details here but the gentlemen who happened to have the bow at the time was mass murdered in the middle of the night along with his wife and daughters by his own son. The son was convicted and now doing life without parole. Through a stroke of pure luck I was given the bow by a mutual friend of mine and Paul's named Rosie Roseland. I hunted with the bow and killed several animals with it since. The last was a 160" 5x5 whitetail on 11/16/08. Right after that I decided to retire the bow although it was still good to go. It is one of my most prized possessions. BW

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©