3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In memory of Paul Schafer  (Read 1419 times)

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In memory of Paul Schafer
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
"He made it,at "only" 70#" so anyone could use it"LOL,Yea Right! Was Paul a proponent of high poundage Barry? Seem's fitting, that a Legend,lived a legacy  with a pair of Legends!Thanks Barry!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by T Mowery:
"He made it,at "only" 70#" so anyone could use it"LOL,Yea Right! Was Paul a proponent of high poundage Barry? Seem's fitting, that a Legend,lived a legacy  with a pair of Legends!Thanks Barry!
From what I have read about Paul, he was as strong as a bull  :readit:  , not only that but the nicest guy you would want to meet
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
My post was not questioning Paul's strength, only the Shaffer Humor of him thinking that 70+ # would fit everyone! Sorry ,if my question was challanging the notion> I understand his sense of Humor! Thank's!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by T Mowery:
My post was not questioning Paul's strength, only the Shaffer Humor of him thinking that 70+ # would fit everyone! Sorry ,if my question was challanging the notion> I understand his sense of Humor! Thank's!
No problem, didn't take it either way bud. My reply was just a "add on", to what you were saying  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
I have a awesome print by Andrew Warrington  as a main peace in my trophy room.  It is sketches of 6 awesome pics of Paul with
Animals he shot.
  I also was lucky enough to have my first buck displayed in the Traditional Bowhunter issue that Paul displayed the cover of.  I just sure wish that that issue was just a cool picture and not in memory of his life.  So sad to lose him so young.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
:pray:
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
If you want to read more about Paul as well as his close friend Bart Schleyer, we have tribute articles about both men on the Brothers of the Bow website. (sponsor)

Offline Stryder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Really enjoyed the articles.  Thank you.
R.C. Chandler
[email protected]

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Although I did not get to meet Paul in person I did get to talk on the phone a number of times throughout the course of ordering 2 bows he made for me 1st one was a TD and the 2nd a One-Piece.I picked his brain a bit about his shooting and I quote " He said he practiced out to 80 yards that way there closer shots seemed easy" and he shot off an elevated rest and used vanes on his arrows.Dam shame he left us so early !!!!!!!!!
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
never met him but wrote him a letter back in the day asking for a brochure. he wrote back and sent a brochure with his letter. the letter was very informative and educational,especially in terms of  being a beginning bow Hunter and philosophy, ethics, etc (I had asked him a few questions in my letter)

anyway, being a broke teenager I never was able order one from him and it's a regret of mine. I have several of Dave's and have been fortunate to acquire 4 of Paul's over the years, 3 t/d's and a 1pc. I shot his bow the other day in his memory..

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Just a side note to Paul Schafers brochure and a curious one at that. I asked Paul to send me some info on his bows and he sent me a short note and a brochure. On the inside flap were some hero shots of different people with kills taken with the Silvertips. In one corner was a picture of Paul Brunner and in red ink over the photo he had a big ZERO with a slash thru it! Who knows what it meant exactly but I often wonder if alot of his brochures went out that way? Anyone else remember that? I also wish I had ordered an original Silvertip...

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Does anyone know if the Great Falls airport still have the Paul Schafer display?
DonD

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I've always been intrigued by the stories of Paul Schafer, and once I made the switch to totally traditional, I made it a goal to try to find an original Silvertip by Paul.

I bought one made by Dave Windauer early last year, and took two does with it last fall, and by total luck (searched Craigslist one Friday), I found one in Texas that was listed.  Called and talked to a gentleman that had purchased two original Silvertips years before, had hunted with them (took a mountain grizzly, moose and mountain lion with it).  He had misplaced one of the risers, but sold me the other riser and two sets of limbs for a ridiculously low price, as he wanted someone that would appreciate the history to own it.  I've been practicing with it, but as it draws at a full 73# with the heavy set of limbs, it will be this fall before I hunt with it...  :)

I'll scan the pics of the lion/grizzly/moose and post if I get a chance.

RIP Paul - and thanks to everyone for sharing the stories.
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Yes his heads are still at the air port as of sept 2012 great to see the display THnaks Shane

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
True legend of bowhunting.One of my goals is to own  a bow made by Paul.With classic camo limbs of course.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Gene Wensel was kind enough to email me a picture of Paul he had, and gave me permission to post it.

Paul was an outstanding athlete, and in the Montana State HOF.

Thanks, Gene!

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
TTT

Rest in peace brother hunter.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I was not shooting recurves when Mr. Schafer died but I remember it. Probably from the writings of some here. It was obvious he was a bowhunter's bowhunter.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
R.I.P. Paul.   :notworthy:

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
I started shooting recurves in 1982 at 16.  I remember Paul was one of my first Idols.  Along with the Wensels.  It was cool because the Wensels were from near my area and my brother and I are twins.  Reading about those guys were a big part of my childhood.  RIP Paul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©