3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the advantage to a heavier Pull weight  (Read 495 times)

Offline TexasBaba

• Trad Bowhunter
What is the advantage to a heavier Pull weight
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
I am about to purchase another bow, and I was wondering what difference does the heavier pull weight make? Does it shoot faster arrows or hit harder?

Any advantages or disadvantages with the different weight bows?
How to determine the best pull weight for me?

I currently shoot a 40#...

Thank you
Indian Archery #273 Cochise AMO 60” 40#,

Offline TexasBaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the advantage to a heavier Pull weight
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Any thoughts are much appreiated...
Indian Archery #273 Cochise AMO 60” 40#,

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
I like to shoot arrows that are weigh around 10 grains per lb. of bow weight. So My 50 lb. bow would shoot a 500 gr. arrow at the same trajectory as a 60 lb. bow with a 600 gr. arrow in theory. The difference would be when hunting a 600 gr. arrow would penetrate better on a bad hit like a shoulder blade. If you want to try a heavier bow and you can shoot 40 lb. easily  45 lb. would not be too much of an increase. If you want to increase more than about 5 lb. I  would look for a used bow to practice with and build strength before I spent a lot of money on one that I couldn't shoot comfortably.
NFetscher

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
All other things being equal (including arrow weight), a heavier bow will hit harder, have flatter trajectory, etc. Many people get a better release from heavier bows. Some seem to get a better feeling of the shot on heavier bows. There's been a lot of threads about this in the last little while, I would do a search on 'heavy bows'.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
I like 60lbs because I feel I get a cleaner release. But remember archery is an individual sport. What I like you may not..so take these post with a grain of salt.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
I like my 64#-70# bows due to the momentum I get.  Due to arrow weight, I don't shoot that much faster than the guy shooting 50.  Say both might be shooting 185fps.  The difference is that I can shoot a 700gr arrow at 185 and the next guy can shoot a 500 gr arrow at 185.

Its like getting hit with a tennis ball at 60mph or a brick at 60mph, which will be more devastating?
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
40# is an ideal weight for a target or 3D bow. It is light enough to hold steady and not get tired after shooting the many shots that are required in a tournament.  Likewise, it would be fine for small game.

For larger game, the heaviest bow you can learn to shoot accurately under your hunting conditions (cold, cramped, awkward shooting positions?) is the best choice.  You don't need to be able to shoot more than one accurate shot without resting, or two at the most.

I wouldn't jump up too much at a time. 45# is plenty to hunt a lot of game, and you wouldn't be overbowing yourself if you're comfortable with 40#.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
I enjoy shooting heavier weight bows along with the heavy arrows that go along with them. One advantage I have found aside from the ones already mentioned is that I tend to shoot more in order to maintain the ability to shoot the heavier weights. For myself at least this has translated to better accuracy and confidence.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
I am a bit different when it comes to 3D.  I shoot my hunting bows for everything.  If I am going to practice and become extremely proficient with a bow, I want it to be the one I will be holding when the good buck shows up.  When you shoot hunting weight bows all the time, you don't fatigue any more than the guy shooting 40#.  It just becomes the bow you shoot, nothing more.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
More kinetic energy to transfer to the arrow as long as the arrow is properly tuned for that setup.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Cleaner release, better bow anchor, longer effective range. Shoot what works best for you.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I have an ILF riser with two sets of limbs that are identical in build, but one is 55# and the other set is 65#. Shooting 10gpp from the heavier set, the arrow leaves the bow at 180fps, to get that kind of speed from the lighter set, I had to drop the arrow weight to about 9gpp.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
They put the arrow in the ground farther after a pass through.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
there is no advantage at all to a heavier pull weight if another bow will move the same weight arrow at a lighter pull weight. Heavy pull weight simply is needed only when a highly effiecient bow does not move the arrow mass fast enough to do the job you are requiring of it. So If I am going to go bison hunting and my bow is a very highly efficient bow but will not move the arrow weight I feel is needed to penetrate a bisons rib cage I may feel the urge to get another highly efficient bow that is heavy enough to move the arrow mass I want to move at a speed and with the kinetic energy I feel is needed to do the work I want it to do.

God bless you, Steve

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Getting to the heavier weight will be easier if you find some form of exercise (Thera-bands or pulley weights) that will build your strength before you shoot the heavier bow.  If you're overbowed you have a good chance of developing bad habits.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
The heavier bow(if both bows are the same model/style) will throw the same arrow faster.I like to shoot longbows from 60-80#. They throw a nice heavy arrow pretty fast. The release is nice and clean for me and they just feel "right" to shoot.When I shoot bows under 50,they feel like a wet noodle. The whole draw from begining to anchor just feels spongy.
"Heavy" is a relative term. What's heavy to one guy maybe very easy to another. Some guys are just stronger than others. Wether the bow is light or heavy depends on who's drawing it.
Shoot whatever you're comfortable with.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:

"Heavy" is a relative term. What's heavy to one guy maybe very easy to another.  
That is true.  I don't consider my 64#-70# bow heavy, just a good hunting weight.  Now these cats that shoot these triple digit bows...now that is a heavy bow.  Unreal!

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
The main advantage I see is more confidence when something goes wrong. With 70 pounds of KE there isn't too much a deer can do to stop the arrow. If he shows me a shoulder at the last second I'll just blow through that too. Shot placement is key, but the extra horse power can not hurt your efforts to put meat on the ground either.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by bornagainbowhunter:
I am a bit different when it comes to 3D.  I shoot my hunting bows for everything.  If I am going to practice and become extremely proficient with a bow, I want it to be the one I will be holding when the good buck shows up.  When you shoot hunting weight bows all the time, you don't fatigue any more than the guy shooting 40#.  It just becomes the bow you shoot, nothing more.
I agree 100%
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
3D shoots for me are for training too hunt, so I shoot my regular weights (63-72 pounds). Everyone has given you good reasons for using a heavier bow, so I would like to offer you some advise: do some type of regular work out routine to maintain your strength and prevent shoulder injuries. Good training routines can be found at :

www.Tnation.com
 www.crossfit.com
 www.sealfit.com
 www.bodybuilding.com  ( the workout section, not the online store)
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©