3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads - Glue on or screw in  (Read 430 times)

Offline TexasBaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads - Glue on or screw in
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Just wondering what you guys prefer and why, are glue on or screw in broadheads prefered and the reasons behind your choice.

Thank you for you thoughts.
Indian Archery #273 Cochise AMO 60” 40#,

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads - Glue on or screw in
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I shoot wood and you use glue on for wood.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
I like screw in best simply because the manufacturers can do a better job of attaching the broadhead to a screw in adapter. Mine don't spin as true sometimes.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
It really depends on the weight I want to achieve. I find more options with a combo of glue on heads and broadhead adapters. The glue ons also cost less for some brands and have never had heads that wouldn't spin true thanks to a Dixon broadhead aligner.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Generally speaking, glue on heads are much stronger than their screw in cousins.  And being able to pick your adapter is a huge plus IMO.

But there are a lot of really good screw ins available these days too.  Pick yer poison and go hunt!  :archer2:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Glue-on.  Have not seen screw-in that use wood screws that could attach to my fir or cedar arrows.    :dunno:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Agree with Braveheart!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TexasBaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Ohh so I guess that it depends on my arrow choice more than anything else?

I have some woods, but I am thinking about trying out some carbon because I have read many good things about them.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
With the crappy broadhead adapters that are being made today, the broadhead strength is not the weak link. For wood arrows, definitely use glue-on heads. For carbon or aluminum arrows, you are probably better off with screw-in heads than a glue-on with an adapter. I sure wish someone would start making good quality, heat treated adapters again. Perhaps the best dangerous game broadhead made is the Tuffhead glue-on, but the commercially available steel  broadhead adapters bend too easily and the very expensive titanium adapters are too light. There are ANSI spec steel bolts at the hardware store for a reasonable cost, so there is no reason adapters couldn't be made that way. There have been high quality steel broadhead adapters manufactured to similar specs in the past, but no one seems to be making them today, probably due to the low demand volume and the high tooling costs. If you want high strength in a broadhead that eliminates the need for a crappy adapter and never seems to fail, look at VPA. For deer, just about anything is strong enough.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Agree with braveheart x2
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline TexasBaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, you huy are really helpful.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
You are right on about broadhead adapters, Amar911.  I can't ever remember an aluminum broadhead adapter bend or break until the last couple of years.  It seemed that if I didn't get a passthru with the carbon arrows I was using, the arrow would be broken just behind the insert and/or the broadhead adapter would be bent or broken.  This was on deer, too!  I've gone back to wood and from what I've seen, Douglas Fir with a glue-on broadhead is a heck of a lot tuffer!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Braveheart Archery:
Generally speaking, glue on heads are much stronger than their screw in cousins.  And being able to pick your adapter is a huge plus IMO.

But there are a lot of really good screw ins available these days too.  Pick yer poison and go hunt!   :archer2:  
That is what I do. All of my heads are glue on, and I use 100 gr steel adapters
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I'm going to try out glue on heads first out of my carbons. I figure if they do not work out it gives me an excuse to switch to wood in the future. 135 tigersharks 100 grain brass adapter. If brass doesn't cut it switch to steal.

Craig

Offline Countcoup43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Has to be glue on for me. Have tried some screw in heads over the years but its just hard to beat the needed tuning sometimes and that's where the glue on heads shine.

Especially with wood shafts  as it can help over come slight balance issues.

With aluminum either swaged or glue in glue on adapters and you have the same setup but your usually not trying to overcome a balance issue there ,it's more of turning head to  a preference  location relative to shooting style.

Lastly glue on heads are usually cheaper which is something to consider  as we tend to try different heads till we find our keepers! And when you lose one ,which we all do its a little easier to take!
"HUNT LIKE YOUR HUNGRY "

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
x 3 what Allan said.  The strength of the current broadhead adapters is ridiculous.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Since I like all my broadheads indexed the same, I prefer glue on.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Double post...sorry
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
I use wood so glue on. The one thing that makes me wish I used screw ins and aluminums is the fact that  if you hit a tree you can unscrew the head and use this:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=110;t=002715#000000

to get it out. Best thing I can do with the woodies is break the shaft off behind the head and come back later with a hatchet.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
I don't agree that glue-ons are stronger. You still have a glue point using both and screw-ins have the capability of different weight inserts as well with aluminum or carbon arrows. What I like about the screw-ins is they always spin true for me and with my glue-ons it is hit or miss. I think getting a true spin is much easier with glueing an insert in a shaft over glueing an adapter onto a broadhead. The shaft keeps everything aligned better.

No problem tuning a screw it head. Simply heat and turn the insert in the shaft just as you do the glue on head.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©