3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH Bighorn Sheep?  (Read 320 times)

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
HH Bighorn Sheep?
« on: January 19, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
I've been semi-obsessed with Hill-style longbows since I started shooting.  I finally had the opportunity a while back to shoot a Big Five, and now I'm looking to order a Hill after I sell a bow to help fund it.  It will be my first custom, and I'm rather excited about it!

There are a lot of choices for various models, but the one that really catches my eye is the Bighorn Sheep, with red elm lams.  However, for the life of me, I can't find a picture of one ANYWHERE.  All these Hill threads I've combed through, and I've never seen a Bighorn Sheep.  I've seen a Ruffed Grouse or two (red elm/bamboo) though.

I know Hills are traditionally bamboo, but you see quite a few yew and osage models floating around.

Does anyone have a Bighorn Sheep?  Know anyone that does?  Have a picture of one?  Do they exist?

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH Bighorn Sheep?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »

I hope someone has a good picture of the bow for you to see.

I have never seen one and this is the only picture I could find on the internet.

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks for looking, but that's not it.  Might be a Ruffed Grouse with two inner bamboo lams and two outer red elm.  The Bighorn Sheep has four lams of red elm, so will be consistent throughout.

Online Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
I've never found a photo of the Bighorn either, but I'd love to see one!

The photo above looks just like my Half Breed.

Online Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
I've never found a photo of the Bighorn either, but I'd love to see one!

The photo above looks just like my Half Breed.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
It wouldn't help you out I guess, but I have a JD Berry Vixen which is a "Hill Style" straight limbed longbow all red elm.  I have brown glass on the back. Red Elm is my favorite limb wood and If i were to order one from HHA it would be a Bighorn
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »

this is the red elm Vixen

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »

Again not the Bighorn sheep BUT this is what you could expect it to look like.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Contact Craig Eakin at Howard Hill Archery. Great guy who will provide pictures of anything he makes. Also, it is well worth talking to Craig before ordering one of his bows. Good luck and good hunting.  :thumbsup:

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Red elm is a great limb wood.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Just remember Craig will do whatever you want.  He charges by the number of laminations so the price is the same.  For example I ordered an all Bacote bow earlier in the year.  He called it a Wapiti model.  It has a Bacote riser and veneers under clear glass with 2 cores of carmalized boo.  It's a gorgeous bow.  It was $575.  Same as other 4 lam bows.  Point is you are not stuck to his many models.  You can come up with your own ideas if you want.

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
ArrowPlane, I have a custom made Hill style bow from a bowyer in Montana. Her limbs sports 5 lams of red elm with bogota  veneer on the back. Purple Heart riser with Purple Heart tips. A great shooting bow. You will be very happy with a HH bighorn sheep from Craig    :thumbsup:

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
My favorite bow at the moment is a Martin Vision R/D longbow, which is red elm under clear glass.  I love it, which is part of the reason I'm looking to go that route, but the main curiosity of it is... For all the Hills floating around here, nobody has ever gotten a Bighorn Sheep.  It's about time!

I intend on ordering one, but I've got to move a bow to fund it first.  Besides, I made a rack with six pegs, so I wouldn't have more than six bows at any given time.  It's full, gotta make room!  Yeah, I know the six bow limit won't last, but a guy has to dream for a while, right?

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
I have a Northern Mist Whisper with all red elm limbs and it a great shooting bow.
  Frank X.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©