3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight changes in the last 15 years.  (Read 403 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight changes in the last 15 years.
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
As I scan the classified ads here on TG there are often bows that interest me but are often too light in draw weight for me. I am not a big guy, nor am I a young guy, but I am in good shape.  

What is going on? Is the traditional community just getting older or is it a matter of better bow dynamics in combination with carbon arrows and better broadheads? It used to be that a 40 to 45 pound bow was a woman's bow, but now that range is more common for men.  One ad caught my attention today but the draw weight is 42#.

Any thoughts?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight changes in the last 15 years.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Well most all the old bows I find and have are 50# or less.  Most of the old bows listed for sale here are 45-55#.  From what I can tell and remember not all that much has changed, but that is just me.  I also see some nice bows to low of draw weight, but a lot of them were for someone with a longer draw also.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
I went from 65, down to 60, 57, 52 . Now I shoot bows 46-48 lbs. My shoulder use to hurt like someone was sticking a knife in it . Two years ago, I broke my elbow and had it wired back together. Last year, I broke my right collar bone and 16 ribs but my shoulder pain went away. I changed my draw to a rotational draw ( that got me back into shooting.) I draw 29 inches so I can get by with a little more. The last big bodied deer I shot was with a 50-52lb recurve. The arrow went through the deer and in the ground about 6 inches.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Yes, recurves tend to be lighter than longbows overall, especially older recurves,  but not too long ago 55# was an average draw weight for a longbow.  I look  primarily for longbows to be at least 55# @ 28", and up to 60#.  Many bowyers I know have told me that draw weight has gone way down for men, with 43# being a common average for a longbow.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
I went from 65, down to 60, 57, 52 . Now I shoot bows 46-48 lbs. My shoulder use to hurt like someone was sticking a knife in it . Two years ago, I broke my elbow and had it wired back together. Last year, I broke my right collar bone and 16 ribs but my shoulder pain went away. I changed my draw to a rotational draw ( that got me back into shooting.) I draw 29 inches so I can get by with a little more. The last big bodied deer I shot was with a 50-52lb recurve. The arrow went through the deer and in the ground about 6 inches.
All good reasons to shoot lighter bows. And good for you for adapting.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
There was just a 7-8 page thread on this topic.  Also, there'a a poll running asking folks how old they are.  I believe 50% are 50 and older or maybe that's 40 and older.  Anyway, we are an older group compared to the general population.  That's true of the entire hunting community.

Injuries and age have caused a lot of folks to drop down in bow weight.  I used to shoot in the mid-60s, primarily longbows.  Now that I'm past the mid 60s in age, I shoot bows in the mid-50s.

Lots of folks are also discovering it doesn't take a real heavy bow to kill deer size critters.  I still consider 40-45# on the light side, though.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I still like mid 60s to lower 70s.  They just feel good to me.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Although I'm a dedicated hunting archer I go long periods without shooting.  Winter.

I've had 4 different shoulder surgeries and while I don't shoot the 75# Knight anymore, I do shoot my 63 and 69# longbows.  

What I think makes it easy is a dedicated program of shoulder therapy exercises plus some modest weightlifting.  

Hadn't shot in months and just tried the 63# with no problems.  It's all about continuing to work on the muscles to slow the atrophy of age.

Got my medicare card last month.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I used to shoot the occasional 75-85 pound bow back in the day. I consistently hunted with 60-65 pound bows. Several years ago I broke my left shoulder and collar bone in 2 separate motorcycle accidents. The shoulder healed up fine but where the collar bone attaches to the shoulder didn't. I just this week received my first 45 pound bow, a ******** Titan with Sebastion carbon limbs. I can draw and shoot with very little pain and by next season I will be able to kill anything in Ohio with it. BTW, this is a fine bow.

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I think we've all got older and the bows today are absolutely dynamite. My desired bow weight today is 43 - 44#, however, I can pull much heavier bows left handed.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:11:00 AM »
Maybe it just that the bows are performing better and better. Personally I like drawweights between the 45 and 50 lbs, though I can shoot 70.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Hunted with 63# for lots of years.Hunt with49# now,elbow problems.Did not get to shoot or hunt with a bow for 2 years with the bad elbow.Will not take a chance on it anymore.Doctor said never again but I proved him wrong.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
65# to 70# for me, use those weights for 3D, stumping, and hunting.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
A bad shoulder has me shooting lighter bows but I believe you should shoot as much weight as you can handle.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Lotech Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
I find that as my testosterone goes down, so does my draw weight. When I was 35, I could shoot a 100# Howard Hill longbow. Now, 30 years later, I'm getting a 40# recurve in the mail soon and I'm wondering if I'll be able to shoot it. Two back operations, one neck fusion and arthritis will take it out of you. They say you can kill a grizzly with a .22 if your placement is accurate. Not that I'll ever be hunting again, but I think greater accuracy will come with reduced draw weight. If you can still shoot the heavier draw weights, that awesome. I wish I could, but I can't.
Shoot with a friend, Lotech Joe

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
15 years ago I shot 60@28 and my draw length was 28". Gradually I went to bows of less draw weight as conditions mandated. I'm now shooting bows around 45@28 but my draw length has grown to 28.5 - 29". I consider this my "from now on" weight.

Arthritis played a role in this. I can still shoot higher weights but my shoulders ache later if I do so for very long. I find I can shoot less weight, for an extended period of time, and still feel fine afterward. As indicated by my increased draw length, it has helped my form and I'd say it has helped my accuracy too.

Not all of it is artritis, some is age. I know I'm not as strong as I was back then but back then I had more time to work on maintaining strength - and made it a higher priority too. Things change. I like my life but my lifestyle has been modified by necessity.

Lastly, I read quite frequently of archers undergoing shoulder surgery. That is something I wish to avoid. Can I say definitively that their issues were caused by shooting heavy bows? No sir. But, I'm sure it didn't help. Repetative motion, heavy weight and cold joints can cause injury.

I don't feel I'm alone in the above reasons. Probably a lot of folks out there like me. Besides, I bet I could still shoot higher weight better if I worked harder at it but bowhunting isn't my sole passion and time is precious.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
15 years ago I was shooting 643@27".  Now I am shooting 51 # @ 28".
I had always shoot in the mid 60's for years and years, then dropped to 57#, then eased on down to 51# over the last couple years. One shoulder with pain, then the other and an elbow bothering me also. Trying to avoid surgery if I can. I just turned 57 and hope I can stay at this weight for a long time. No problem with killing, as deer and bear have gone down quick.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Also,
I think that modern people,are coming to some of the same conclusions that ancient people came to,long ago and that is,that heavy draw weights are not as critical to get the job done,as modern people believe.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
I did not have a bow below 64# 15 years ago and now I do not have one over 53#.

Especially with the hill style bows I found that I can draw smoother,anchor better and get my back tension in play with a lighter bow.
I don't want to get injured and I want to shoot bows the rest of my life so I just made adjustments.
I was getting to where shooting a 20-30 target 3D course, eating a bite and then shooting it again just for fun was starting to tell on my shoulder.

Plus I found a 45# bow will shoot right through a deer.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
15 years ago my heavy bow was 96 pounds and my light bow was 64 pounds.  5 years ago 64 was my heavy bow and 55 was my light bow. 4 years ago 72 pounds left hand bow was my heavy bow, 64 pounds right hand was my right hand heavy bow and 51 pounds
was my new light weight bow. 2 years ago left hand 72, 51 and 45 left hand, 64, 58, 55, 52 right hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©