3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help with selecting proper spining for cedars  (Read 402 times)

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with selecting proper spining for cedars
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
I'm thinking of trying some cedar arrows. I shoot several longbows all have draw weights between 52- 55#. I draw to 28" and would probably shoot a 28 3/4" arrow with 125gn head. Are 55/60's what I'm looking for or should arrows be spined heavier? Thanks for the help.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with selecting proper spining for cedars
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
I'd go up at least 5 pounds, maybe 10.  Some experts will chime in.  55 spine is for 55 at 28" with 125.  Add 5 for each inch of length.  Lot easier to change a point for your lighter bows if need be.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
If your longbows are not centershot then I would advise 50-55 shafrs. I made custom woods for a long time and that is what I would send you unless you specified something else.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
What are you shooting now?  If it is a carbon ar aluminum that you are happy with the flight this will give us another piece of info to help you.

Kevin

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
I am shooting 2117 XX75 cut to 29 1/2" Although some charts show these to be a bit stiff for my draw weight, they seem to fly well with only slight nock right at 20 yds. Perhaps because the arrows are a little long for my 28" draw...( may weaken spine?) I am thinking of going to 2016's @ 28 3/4" but while I'm at it I thought I'd give cedars a try also. Sorry if I seem to be all over he place but I like to experiment and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. Question for Bill Carlsen: can you explain how a longbow cut to centershot affects arrow spining?

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
I agree with Bill Carlsen about the 50-55 if it's not center shot. It would also help if you posted what kind of bow(i.e R/D Hill style, etc..) and what kind of string material( B50/Fast flight, etc..).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »
If the bow is not center shot then the arrow has to go through more paradox. ie need lighter spine to get good arrow flight. need to know the kind of bow, string etc as stated above to give you a better idea.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
OK, Black Widow PL, Hornes Brush Bow, Hornes combo hunter and Ancient Spirits Sequoia. All have FF+ or D97 strings. These are obviousy not Hill style bows... all pretty much center shot R/D bows. Does this suggest stiffer spining?

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »
Ok, here is the way I do it for wood arrows and it has never failed me yet. For a 55# bow,and all of your bows are center shot or past center,except the Black Widow, I do not know about that one. So for a 55# bow add 5# for center shot,add 5# for modern string,add 5# for every inch over 28",go up one spine weight from the git go, ie 60#. so 60+5=65+5=70+5=75. So an arrow spined at 75# would be about right. I know it sounds weird but trust me it works. Ask Shawn Leanord, he does it very similar. Now this is for using points up to 145gr. If you go above that you might need a stiffer arrow.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Right on the money Danny!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Danny's right, the bows you are shooting and strings that you're using will require at least 75# spined cedars.    :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
Well said Danny well said.bd

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Hey Danny and the rest of you guys.. Thanks a lot, this was very helful! I was way off the mark and would probably have spent a bunch of $'s getting it right. Stay well all! No offense to the rest of you guys, but I also got to hear it validated from a bow guru, Mr. LaClar. This site is an incredible resource!!!! Thanks again!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©