3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How often do you hunt, on average, before getting a shot?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How often do you hunt, on average, before getting a shot?
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve in Canton:
I never understood why people would not hunt different land if they are not seeing deer.  I would rather not hunt than hunt land with no deer.  

I average passing up between 30 and 40 bucks a year inside of 25 yards in Ohio.  I expect to have deer within 25 yards on every sit, sometimes that does not happen but I did at least see deer every day that I hunted this year which was 46  different hunts.
Sometimes its not as easy as it seems.  Some guys do not know how lucky they are to have areas with good game numbers.  I know of people that hunt in areas where they are fortunate to see one or two deer a year, that does not include in bow range.

Uprooting a family and a home for the sole purpose of pursuing whitetails is not always an option.  Neither is not being able to hunt, therefore some guys make the best of what they have, and not take things for granted.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I never understood why people would not hunt different land if they are not seeing deer.  I would rather not hunt than hunt land with no deer.  

I average passing up between 30 and 40 bucks a year inside of 25 yards in Ohio.  I expect to have deer within 25 yards on every sit, sometimes that does not happen but I did at least see deer every day that I hunted this year which was 46  different hunts.
I live in the house I grew up in and own the ground it sits on, nothing more. I rely on public land or the invites of friends who have a bit of huntable land. The deer herd has been terribly shot off due to misguided people in control of such things. I have quickie hunts after work and Saturdays (no Sunday hunting in PA). So, basically, I hunt where and when I can. There's just not a whole heck of a lot I can do about it. I'm not made of money and can't buy a place to grow a deer herd.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I have been in the same situation of hunting areas that had few deer, I then started knocking on doors and getting permission to hunt better areas.  Anyone who live in the eastern US is probably within 50 miles of good deer hunting if they are willing to knock on doors and ask.  I own no land, never had but have access in a state that is heavily leased to over 1000 acres of private land just by asking for permission, it can be done.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
After reading many of these posts, I feel fortunate!  I see deer almost every time I go out.  I have not kept track, but would guess a shot opportunity about 50% of the time.  In a typical year I will hunt for a mature buck until last week in Dec. then try to take a doe or two the last week during my Christmas break.  This year ehd hit and numbers were down - still saw deer.  Did not shoot a buck, but shot a doe the last week.  Last year a nice buck in late Oct. - two does late season.  Can not remember the last season I did not shoot a deer.

Now if we only had elk!    :D
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
It varies from year to year and on the property I am hunting. I had one season it took 27 hunts to get a shot. This year it took 6. This year I killed two does on the sixth hunt. I passed on 19 shot opportunities this season, shot 5 times, 4 perfect hits and one miss I can only explain as being excited on what would have been my biggest buck.

I do feel fortunate to have plenty of deer to hunt both public and private land. While big bucks are very hard to come by I still hold out. Can't kill a big one if they die young. I don't have a problem with a guy shooting whatever is legal but we have 6 deer tags and plenty of deer so I just shoot some nice eating does and let the bucks walk unless they are pretty nice. As a result I haven't killed a buck in 7 years. I get as much meat from a adult doe as a little buck and our lease has an 8-1 doe to buck ratio which is average for our area.

Chris

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »
About 80 man hrs. if I'm meat hunting. If it's for horns it could be all season or never even happen. We don't have a high population of deer where I hunt. Come on turkey season!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
It can vary greatly depending on the year, weather, species, unit, and if I can have more than one day in a row to hunt. Mule deer on a good year could be everyday on young bucks and on a bad year it maybe 20 days or more. Elk on a good spike/cow unit it may take 10 days on a good year and never see one on a bad year. On the any bull unit that I hunt you can be a good hunter and know the unit well and may never get a shot. On my Mt. goat hunt this year I had the whole hunt off and tag out opening day.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
20 years ago I would say 1 out of 4 hunts I would have a shot opp. Now prob 1 out of 10 at best. I would see more deer in a weekend then than I see a whole season now. Same area just less deer.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
In North West New Jersey, I expect to get a shot oppritunity everytime out,shoot a couple bucks and does this season. As I get older rather watch them then shoot them.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I have said this before on other posts, first shot I had was in 1971 with my recurve [I missed]. Killed a deer with my compound in 1993, Have not had a shot with my recurve or long bow since. Spend about 60-100 hours each year. Saw more deer this year than I have in a long time 19, 6 of them bucks....no shots!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »

I used to live in Massillon, and hunted in Navarre and Beach City.  I thought that hunting in IL would be similar, but it is not.  I saw more deer in a week in Navarre (the first week I ever hunted whitetails in my life), than I have seen in 9 years hunting in this part of Illinois.  

I have found that landowners are usually not interested in allowing strangers to hunt their land, and the only place I can hunt, the deer population is very thin.  With my community involvement, I know an unusually large number of people around here, but still have only one place to hunt.  

Why do I still go?  I like to get out, and that's the only place I have.  I focus on deer, but keep one eye out for anything else that's in season.  Shoot lots of stumps, too.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by ddauler:
20 years ago I would say 1 out of 4 hunts I would have a shot opp. Now prob 1 out of 10 at best. I would see more deer in a weekend then than I see a whole season now. Same area just less deer.
Everybody in Ga is saying the same thing.  That's what a ten doe limit will do over several years, particularly on public land.    :knothead:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I sure feel for some of you fellows.

Way back in 1970-1974 when I started bowhunting in Indiana as a 16-year old, one bow range opportunity per year was my experience. I killed a deer every three years for the first 9 years I hunted. I had to travel 120 miles one way and hunted nearly every weekend through 1977 -- even when attending Purdue. I never quit hunting just to go to college.

I have a buddy I hunt with in Indiana these days (but not enough). When I hunt with him I have multiple deer in bow range nearly every time I hunt (beans and corn surrounded by forest). I've passed many nice bucks in easy bow range on that farm over the years but have only taken one shot (killed the buck). That tag costs $150 for a NR like me. I was never willing to fill the tag on anything less than PY potential.

He usually sees dozens every time he hunts. The farm was just bought for $1.5 million by someone from Chicago.  Looks we're done hunting there.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
With a six week bow season, I get out on the average 6 Mondays, 6 Saturdays, and maybe 3-4 evening hunts. If I'm lucky I may have 1-3 shot optunities during that time period and if very lucky harvest one. Once opening day of shotgun season is over you may only have 1 chance of harvesting a deer during the 5 weeks of shotgun/ML seasons. During the gun seasons the deer tend to go in the nastiest spots or backyards. I have two buck tags and usually two anterless tags per year. There is no Sunday hunting in this state. I'd be thrilled if I could see animals every 2-3 sitting in the woods. I have managed to fill one tag per year somehow.

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by ddauler:
Same thing here in Wis. Unlimited doe tags makes public hunting tough. About 8 years ago I went 16 times in a row without seeing a deer.  :dunno:
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
regardless of weapon I normally fill my tag the first week whether deer or about 70% of the time. Then probably 20% the last week of the season and the rest in the middle.  My seasons depending on area and weapon vary from 4 days to almost 3 months. Overall throughout my hunting career I'm at about a 90% success rate for deer and 70% for elk but again that's combining trad archery, modern archery, rifle and handgun kills.  I normally decide what I feel like hunting with at the beginning of the year and go from there since we pretty much can only take one deer and one elk.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
I see deer probably 1/3 of the times I climb.On years when things go good I get shots about every 5 climbs if I want them. On not so good years1 in 10.
  About 15 years ago I killed either a deer or a hog every week of the season. Thats from around Sept 15- January 10 back then.Exceptional times.Year before last I had 14 shots. Killed 11 deer and two pigs.This year 6 shots ,killed 3 deer and two pigs. I hunted better sign this year than I ever have. Can`t explain it...even took more baths..lol. I think I climbed maybe 28-35 times this year.RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
I forgot to add.....Cory said a mouthfull about scouting. Some people sit the same spots time after time and year after year and complain. You got to be more aggressive. I refuse to climb a tree unless I know a deer is gonna come by. They don`t always do it but Iv`e scouted enough I`m that confident.If your not that confident you got no business sitting you should be covering ground looking for a good spot.
  I know guys that go out and hang public land stands early season and sit them all year.Our food changes so often down here there is no way you can hope for success like that.A quick read of Mr. Warren Womacks hunting tips would benifit most folks. Learning to find and hunt feed trees for a meat hunter in the south is the key to success.I hunt 90% public land.RC

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Almost impossible to pattern. I pass up so many more deer than I used to. I could probably shoot at a deer every 4 or 5 sits. Sometimes more than one op per sit. Never shot last year. Could have had 6 or 8 decent shots in about 30 or so sit's.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
I have a shot every time I go out!I can't believe all you guys are such lousy hunters.    :biglaugh:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©