3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stumpin' Points  (Read 547 times)

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stumpin' Points
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
I take a t nut and drill out the shaft. I then take a 125gr blunt and put the t nut behind the blunt. The t nut have prongs and act just like a judo. Similar to a previous post about fender washers.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Judos for me too
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Judos or a Martin adder behind a field point.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline BigJ1632

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback fellas!  I truely appreciate it!
HH Wesley Special 58@31
Martin ML14 50@28
Bear Hunter T/D 50@28

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
I use hex and hammer heads from 3 rivers. work good

just got done setting up some hunting/stumping arrows. cant wait to get out there after the squirrels
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by hardwaymike:
Stumpkiller, what is the head, that is second from the right in your pic, called?
Second from the right is a Magnus Blunt.  It used the Magnus bleeder inserts.  Great for squirrels but the blade is delicate.

Third in from the right is a TigerClaw.  Absolutely devistating on squirrel and rabbits but getting it back out can be nasty.

Third in from the left is my facorite squirrel and bunny point.  It's called a GameNabber
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 04:44:00 AM »
Judos here
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
Another for judos
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Tallhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Judo heads. Always regret it when I don't.
The way that you wander is the way that you choose.
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I like the Ace Hex.  It's indestructible but doesn't slide under the grass like a field pt or plain blunt.  Judos are great too, but I've busted a few and they are pricey.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Im with Fletcher on this one.Good ol Ace Hex blunts for stump shooting,however I love the Judo for grouse,especially the Condor.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
I always liked judo's,  still do,  tried some Ace blunts, so far,these things work great. Been shooting in the yard here lately, which BTW is frozen tundra, they stop on a dime, even on ice, while the judo's and G5's keep sailing.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Judos most of the time but I have started to use the rubber slip on blunts also with great success.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I like Judos a lot though recently I have started carrying the small game points by VPA i really like them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
The nice thing about the Ace Hex blunts is that its diameter is slightly larger than the diameter of my carbons, making it easier to pull out of the occasional hard stump.
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
I like the judo, Ace hex, hammer, and the VPA SGT.  I use them all for stumping and small game at times depending on where and what I am shooting.

In the yard in the thick grass or field grass I like the judo because it grabs on well. The only issue is that they have very limited weights.   A lot of times they don’t fit my set-up.

For small game, I like the hex heads especially for squirrels from a tree stand.  They have a little better penetration than some due to smaller frontal area and still do okay keeping from burying too bad. I also like them for shooting hay bales. They are a good value. They don’t have quite as wide a weight range as some, but mostly they cover what you need. I don’t use them just playing around shooting in thick grass. I have lost a few doing that.

I like the claw things under field points for small game.  A 175 field point with one of those claws under it gives me good penetration on a squirrel for kills, but helps on the misses to keep them from burying too deep in cover.  They are a real cheap option. I don’t like them for actually shooting stumps unless you put them under a blunt.

The hammer is a great all around for small game and stumping.  Very durable and grabs better than a lot of other blunts on the grass.  They have a real wide range of weights.  I like them a lot and use them a lot.  

I love the SGT!  Wide range of weights, really grab on to stuff, and super durable. I don’t know how you could make a better stumping head.  They may not be my top choice for squirrels because I like something that will get more consistent and better  penetration on those tough skinned little guys.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
I have increased the weight of judos buy going to the glue on ones. I used a 75 gr. steel broadhead adapter and glued a 125 gr. judo with J-B weld and wham 200 grs. up front! With a footed carbon it's darn tough   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline markliep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Forest around here is pretty open & if you choose rotten birch stumps (there are lots) you can get away with field points on wood or bamboo & duplex nails in the bamboo - M.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
RFA Talon Blunts/Small Game Points as well as Judo points.  Both can be used for the occasional squirrel or rabbit that pops up within range.

Judo points make loosing arrows MUCH more difficult and can make removing arrows a bit easier at times.

RFA Talons can handle harder stumps better without breaking or skip off a rock better.

I like to keep Talons on my regular fletched arrows and Judo points on my Flu-Flu arrows.  Any shot under 15-20 yards gets a flu-flu.  Any shot at eye-level or higher gets a flu-flu.  Almost all shots above 15-20 yards gets a regular arrow.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Bob4st

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
...judos and saunder blunts...
NY Bowhunters, Inc.
Traditional Bowhunters of NY
Traditional Archery Society
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic: