3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late Season Squirrels  (Read 293 times)

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Late Season Squirrels
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Well been awhile since Ive posted or even been on the site. Haven't been hunting much either. Didn't hunt hardly at all after the gun seasons came and went. Dunno if it was work or what but I just quit shooting my bow and didn't hunt. About a week ago I knew something wasn't right. All stressed out at work and at home. I got to thinking about shooting my bow and realized it had been almost 5 weeks since I had loosed an arrow.
 Archery is my golf. Its my Saturday night HBO fight nights. Its my Sunday afternoon football games. Ive tried and enjoyed just about all typical guy stuff and a few non typical hobbies but archery has taked root. Its not just a hobby for me its a spiritual connection with a power greater than myself. SO when I say I hadn't loosed an arrow in 5 weeks thats saying something for me. I'm sure itd being saying something for most on this site.
 So with stress levels starting to manifest into physical aliments I decided some back yard arrows were just what the doctor ordered. Literally. When your blessed to have a good friend in the medical field and their advice tells you to get your bow back in your hands and relieve some stress.... you gotta do what the doc says. (Thanks Mike)
 After a 5 week break I stepped out in the drive way picked a spot on my black bear target and next thing I know my arrow is sticking out of that exact spot. Only a traditional man knows what that does for your soul. I shot quite a bit more that afternoon and all my shots felt oh so good.
 Work kept me away from the woods for a few days but it wasn't long before I found myself perched atop one of my favorite hides. First afternoon out was one of the best hunts I had all year. Within an hour of being on stand I had a nice large bobcat stalk around my tree. Wishing all the while it was legal to take one in IL all I could do is tip my hat to the other predator of the field that day and watch him walk on by.

All I had was my camera on my phone. Awesome animals. His coat blends in so well with the woods.
 Not long after my feline friends departure I had a nice lone mature doe come in from the upwind side. She worked her way behind me to the field edge. Stopped perfectly broadside at 25 yards. I dres anchored and released all before I actually knew what happened. My arrow sailed harmlessly over her back perfectly inline with her lungs and heart. As soon as I released I felt something in my follow thru that didn't feel normal. The top limb of my bow had hit an unforseen branch. Dang the bad luck. Either way it was an awesome hunt.
 The next morning found me in the same hide. It was cold and I didn't see any deer but did have a couple of grey squirrels come in for a shot. I would probably kill more deer if I could resist dropping the string on these critters but man they make fine targets.

Tonight was it. The last day of a long season. At least for whitetail. I had an exceptional season early. I took 5 whitetail total. Plenty of meat in the freezer. I have said many prayer of thanks for the harvest and the opportunity to enjoy Gods great outdoors. I grabbed my bow after work and headed to the woods. On my way in a grey squirrel was cutting a nut on a limb about 20 feet up a white oak and didn't seem to pay me much mind. I stalked within about 15 yards of the tree and loosed an arrow.
 I heard a very familiar thump and he fell from his perch. I thought that the squirrel fell dead but by time I got over there it had made it into a dead log. I peered into the log and seen only the tail. I poked the squirrel with an arrow and it retreated deeper into the log. I gave it up to a lost cause and went on to my tree.
 I hunted for a couple of hours and had 4 more shots on squirrels.....no deer. After emptying my quiver and having no meat to show for it I decided to get down. I was only able to recover 2 of the 4 arrows. Have to go back later with pliers to get the broadheads out of those tree trunks!   :banghead:  
 As I headed back to the truck after a small stalk around the property the squirrel in the log just wouldn't leave my mind. So I headed that way. I got back to the log and shined my flash light inside. I could see the tail in there and figured the squirrel for dead. I started working on that old half rotten log like a black bear on a bait barrel. Id roll it one direction and then try and stand it up. Id pick it up as high as I could and drop it. Eventually I saw a small crack in the log and started stomping/ jumping up and down on each side of the crack. Eventually the rotten old log gave way and my prize was awaiting me...

No hero shots of this guy and me but man I was proud. Glad I made it back out to enjoy the end of a great season. I froze this squirrel whole and plan on taking him to the taxidermist. Had a beautiful red color to his grey coat.
Happy Hunting my Friends,
SheltonCreeker
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late Season Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Great pics and story, I need to get back out there too...   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Looks like you got your soul reset and are good to go again!  Thanks for the laugh, I enjoyed the imagery of you goin' after that log  :laughing:     :deadhorse:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Way to get back at it..nicejob on them treerats
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
Great pics. That's a beautiful cat.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
David,
"I started working on that old half rotten log like a black bear on a bait barrel."

I like that....and with the winter coat you grew on your face I can picture it too!!!  Five weeks is a long time without your bow in your hand.  Nice come back!

Joe

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
When I think of bowhunting, squirrels are part of it. I just loved your story. I'm pumped.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
Joe I think I was even growling while I was rolling that log around!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
David good job. I shoot at sq's but kill few.You look different with that beard.Take care Kip  :wavey:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Good story Dave! Glad you are out amungst 'em again. We got 8 days left to get a hunt in together and I got the perfect place for some bushy tail action  :)  

You are right about the "therapy". We need it. It is my refuge as well...man wish I could grow a beard like that. Is that called beard envy?   :biglaugh:
Mike Davenport

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by SheltonCreeker:
Joe I think I was even growling while I was rolling that log around!
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Good story. Lovem late season when they hit the ground. Congrats

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Mike- Beard Envy? I'm not sure. All I can say of my winter coat is I am blessed to have a very tolerating wife. Although she has made me keep my mustache trimmed up this winter. It usually goes wild like the rest...hahaha. Also with all the doping going on in the world today in pro sports I just want to say this beard is 100% all natural no HGH blood doping or steriods!!!  :bigsmyl:

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Nice pictures and story! Thanks for posting them up!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Pretty neat stuff!  Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Great story dave maybe one day well be able to shoot a bobtail with our bows. I cant wait til next year already.   Also man i miss my beard bad

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
I hear ya brock. Can't believe you shaved it down in JAN!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
David, That's cool bud...late season squirrels can be a tough hunt...congrats!   :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Thanks curt! Looking forward to getting out after them bushy tails before seasons out!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©