3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Scale Rack ideas?  (Read 411 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow Scale Rack ideas?
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
I bought a spring scale and want to make a verticle bow rack with pulley(s) to draw the bow to exact draw lengths; something not mounted (permanent) but rather something I could bungee to a 4x4 porch post and tuck away when not in use.

Any pics of your portable setup?

Also, when drawing, to let's say 28", with three fingers and then drawing a bow with a scale with only one small hook of maybe 1/4" wide as a contact point, what variances might I see with the one small point vs. a contact point that mimics a three finger draw?

Any pics of your drawing setup if made to mimic three finger draw?

Thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Scale Rack ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Something like this but would like to see more pics or various designs:

From November 2012-

Originally posted by virgil.v:
Pelouze Digital Hanging Scale (100 lb), for me.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
It didn't make sense   :rolleyes:   ... Look bellow!!

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
You could use a hand crank from a patio umbrella to draw the bow, or a small boat trailer hand crank. As for the finger part a piece of string tied into a 3" loop and wrapped over the string and put on a hook would allow for an arrow to be nocked.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
I like the design above and have heavy leather and a grommet setting set. I might reinforce the blocks a bit with a 30/60/90 cut block of wood wedge as I would hate to have the glue/screws on the blocks shown above to turn loose and create havoc.  A handle crank might be nice but also might be overengineering the need for a simple but effective tool. Maybe a block and tackle for easily drawing the weight with a rope pull.

I like the tape measure use on this one as bows vary in thickness back to belly and this needs to be adjustable.

Anyone else with ideas? Pics?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Nice idea Bud.  I will be watching this one.  I keep saying I'm going to build a self bow, and this would be a nice addition.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I use this luggage scale from the local box store.

Since the scale marks the high point, you can focus on drawing the bow to the length desired.  Also makes it easy to put together an FD chart.

Had not thought of the diff possible between fingers and hook on the string.  Might make an adaptor and take a look at the diff.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
As for the 3 fingers vs the hook, Steve at Northern Mist, says that he use a small block of wood to mimic the fingers on the string, ad that his bows read a bit lighter that when you use just the hook.
I have a Classic 60#28, and on my scale with just the hook, it read 62#28...
That is strange.... i use a block shaped in the same configuration as fingers and they always measure heavier than just using a hook. it puts more pressure on the limbs with a wider hook.    :dunno:  

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Originally posted by David Yukon:
As for the 3 fingers vs the hook, Steve at Northern Mist, says that he use a small block of wood to mimic the fingers on the string, ad that his bows read a bit lighter that when you use just the hook.
I have a Classic 60#28, and on my scale with just the hook, it read 62#28...
That is strange.... i use a block shaped in the same configuration as fingers and they always measure heavier than just using a hook. it puts more pressure on the limbs with a wider hook.    :dunno:  

[/b]
I too thought that a wider contact point would cause more bend and therefore a higher reading.

Keep it coming guys and gals.

Anyone ever worry about the bow slipping and turning on its end when drawing with one of these?

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Kirk, how do you secure the bow at the top, also when attaching the device to the string do you put it at your nocking point or center the string to grip on handle, thanks
John 3:16

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Same plans as an archery draw board - real easy, hand winch (boat winch) and a post mounted to a board to hold the handle of the bow. Some say that gravity plays a role and horizontal is better than verticle. Google it

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Kirk, maybe I got it wrong?!?! I would need to check back on that... If only Steve would reply to my emails....

I need to look it up again... But for some reason I trust what you say. I you know your Stuff!!

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Kirk, you are right as is Steve....
As far as the draw weight on my longbows, I scale them a little differently. I have a small block on the scale hook with a groove in the top for the string to ride in. The block is about the same width as three fingers. If I scale the longbow with just the  bare hook, it will read about three pounds lighter. Since nobody draws a longbow with one finger I feel that by scaling the longbow with the block you get a truer representation of what the bow is actually pulling.
Thanks David
Steve

So I need to check my scale.....
Cheers
David

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
David, Steve is swamped with getting ready for the Kalamazoo show. I am sure he will catch up with you soon.
He said his bows will read a tad lighter when using just the hook.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by rraming:
Same plans as an archery draw board - real easy, hand winch (boat winch) and a post mounted to a board to hold the handle of the bow. Some say that gravity plays a role and horizontal is better than verticle. Google it
I have also read and heard that scaling a bow horizontally with a spring scale causes false readings.

Anyone with experience on this? Spring scales are made to be used vertically, from what I gather, and gravity is the drawing force depending on the weight.

Or does it really matter one way or the other??

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
While I don't have pictures to share, I will do best to describe what I use:

I have a piece of 2" x 4" screwed perpendicular to a wall stud.  The top of this 2" x 4" is shaped to an inverted V shape so that it fits into the deepest portion of the grip and has a piece of leather glued on it to protect the grip. This way I am measuring draw per industry standards regardless of grip type.  Also, the V-block has a thin wooden cap mounted on the end facing you to prevent the bow from accidently slipping off of it.  

I shoot split finger, some shoot 3 under and others use a release so my string attachment from the electronic scale is shaped according to the individual shooting style.  I use a hook for a release shooter, a solid (3 finger wide strap) of leather for 3 under, or a split (3 finger plus nock width) leather for myself.  If I measure the same bow and only vary the string attachment, I will get 3 different poundage readings.  It will usually vary by about 1.5 pounds.  Does this make a big difference, not usually except to those that shoot on the edge of the arrows designated spine limits.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:

Originally posted by rraming:
I have also read and heard that scaling a bow horizontally with a spring scale causes false readings.

Anyone with experience on this? Spring scales are made to be used vertically, from what I gather, and gravity is the drawing force depending on the weight.

Or does it really matter one way or the other?? [/b]
Your adding the weight of whatever is hanging below the bow, that's the theory anyway. No way to know if a bow draws the same vertical and horizontal. Maybe of you had the scale above the bow, rather than below it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I think I am going to mount it above the bow. Pulley on top. Then the scale. Bow handle connection point will be low at waist level or near floor level. String drawn upward.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Interesting thread Bud.     :thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keith Langford:
Kirk, how do you secure the bow at the top, also when attaching the device to the string do you put it at your nocking point or center the string to grip on handle, thanks
I have a couple blocks mounted on the wall allowing me to use square riser block or shaped grip with a padded dowel.

Here is a little video showing my PPI reader i came up with a few years back for getting accurate DFC charts. I've got a much better set up in progress if can ever find time to get it put together.

with a digital scale you zero it out after the hook is placed on the string.  whit a Spring scale you zero it out after it's hanging. The hay scale that i have weighs a couple pounds. they are designed to use vertically.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©