3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who hunts with Kodiak Hunters? Setup?  (Read 386 times)

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Who hunts with Kodiak Hunters? Setup?
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
I have 2 60" green futurewood Kodiak Hunters. One is about 46@ my 29.5 inch draw the other is about 43. I am thinking of useing the 46 pounder with 30" 2016 and Bear Razorheads with bleeders installed this coming bow season. Thinking of useing the other with the same arrows as a backup. Does anyone hunt deer with the Kodiak Hunters as their primary bow? If you do, what is your setup? What do you use for quiver, arrows heads etc?

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who hunts with Kodiak Hunters? Setup?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Quiver :  back quiver
Arrows:  wood, some bought and some made
Bow: 1968 Kodiak Hunter, 45# @28"

The bow was given to me by my dad in 1969 when I got home from the Marines.  It was brand new then and he kept it out of his stock when he closed his archeryshop down in 1968.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
I've shot a Kodiak Hunter 58 AMO - 46@28. My draw is 27.5. The bow really liked 2016's cut to 29.5 with 125 tips. Everyone seem to think the 2016's were to stiff but the KH loved them. Really zipped them. 3 4" parabolic feathers. Also consider using a Bear Weather Rest.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
I have 3 green futurewood Kodiak Hunters in weights of 50,53, and 55. I carried them several times this past season. I didn't set up the 55 this year because I bought it late Octoberish. I draw about 29.5"

55-60 POC shafts
Bear Razorheads
Kanati quiver John made in green to match to the bows.  Both bows shoot the same arrows just fine. They also shoot a 2117 great. I really like the Hunters and shoot them as well as any of my customs.

Here is the 53# during the late season. The solid green shaft is a 2117 with a blunt.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Not my primary bow but I have a 67" Hunter, 43# @ 28, bow is 58". I draw just a shade over 29". Cedar shafts with 125 gr Bear or Eskimos. I take it out a few times each year to hunt.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Anyone else use these bows? Would love to hear from you.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Used to! Then life happened and I sold it.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline evilfirbolg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
I have one I have had it for over 25 years. It is my "go to" bow, always been my most reliable, easiest to tune and most accurate. I have only ever shot woodies though. It came with a flipper rest and I left it on there. No complaints.

Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 55#@28"
Black Widow MAII   62" 63#@28"
Ben Pearson Equalizer 48" 50@28"
Samick Sage 62" 35@28"(wife's bow)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Killed this buck this year with a Kodiak Hunter. 45 @ 28. CX 150 with 50 grain brass inserts and a green bear razorhead without the bleeders. They are great hunting bows, and you definitely cant go wrong with the bows you have. Not sure why bear ever discontinued them?

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeyebowhunter:
Killed this buck this year with a Kodiak Hunter. 45 @ 28. CX 150 with 50 grain brass inserts and a green bear razorhead without the bleeders. They are great hunting bows, and you definitely cant go wrong with the bows you have. Not sure why bear ever discontinued them?

Bearpaw Germany makes the Kodiak Hunter now under the Bodnik brand.  It's largely the same bow but with slightly narrower and more refined limbs. From what I heard they shoot great.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
My best bud hunts with one. He doesnt know it but I just bought another for him and I'm backing it with green rat snake cuz hes one hell of a good guy.
Its a 68, it was beat and I fixed her up real pretty.
He shoots XX75's and zwickey eskimo 125's. Home made backquiver he made out of one of his deer hides.
David M. Conroy

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
David, if you need any new buddies, let me know! Lol. What does a green rat snake look like on a bow?
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I have not hunted with Mine but.....

I have a 67 K Hunter that shoots great. 48@28  I would have no issues hunting with it.  It shoots a 50-55 or 55-60 Cedar arrows at 31 and 30 inches respectively with a 125 grain B Head up front incredibly well.    

I draw 29 inches so I am shooting about 51 lbs.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
I will be hitting the woods soon with the only bow that I personally own. It is a 1975 "Grayling Green" Bear Kodiak Hunter 50# @ 28". It is equipped with Bow Hush, Hush Puppies, and a strap on Thunderhorn BOA leather top quiver. I have 6 Gold Tip Trad 500's fletched with green and white feathers to match the bow. The arrows are loaded with 75 grain steel adapters and 125 Zwickey's that are filed sharp. I think it is a nice looking outfit. I will be hunting elk, deer, and pigs here shortly.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkhunter45:
I will be hitting the woods soon with the only bow that I personally own. It is a 1975 "Grayling Green" Bear Kodiak Hunter 50# @ 28". It is equipped with Bow Hush, Hush Puppies, and a strap on Thunderhorn BOA leather top quiver. I have 6 Gold Tip Trad 500's fletched with green and white feathers to match the bow. The arrows are loaded with 75 grain steel adapters and 125 Zwickey's that are filed sharp. I think it is a nice looking outfit. I will be hunting elk, deer, and pigs here shortly.
Enjoy it, you have a great bow that is very underrated.  

I picked up another at Denton Hill from Don at EFA this year    ;)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
I have an old Kodiak Hunter that I really like.  I don't hunt with it as much since I started making bows a few years ago but it has taken a lot of game and I still shoot and hunt it some.  I found an old Bear snap on quiver that I really like with it.  It's pretty much auto pilot.  I can pick it up after months off and be right on with it.  Good old bows.
Silence is golden.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
Gave my only one to an elk hunting buddy, great shooter. Everyone who shot it while I had it was accurate pretty quickly.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Well I did hunt with one last year and was going to until I took a slice out of the bottom limb tip. I need to get it checked out. It might still be shootable but I want to make sure. My set up was a 67 kodiak hunter 43@28 at my draw it was a bit over 45# I shot xx75 aluminum 500 spine full length with a125 grain head. Was shooting wensel woodsmans this year. Last year Magnus stingers.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
I have one but have not yet hunted with it.
Aim small,miss small

Offline bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
A 52# and a 60# KH are in my collection of bows. The 60# hasn't been hunting with me yet as I've only had it a couple of months. The 52# is my #1 hunting bow. Cedar arrows with Bear Greenies are what is shot out of both of them.
Revelation 3:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©