3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Enjoying the fruits of our labours!  (Read 319 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Enjoying the fruits of our labours!
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
I posted recently about how many times I went hunting before getting a shot. The wife and I really depend on our venison, every year and enjoy it all year, it is a staple in our diet, not to mention a economical consideration.She and I usually get 4-6 deer total a year, and some hunters will give me one or two because they will not eat them We also grow and double an triple crop a garden, and can a lot of wild berry jams and jellies.
    Took 1/2 of a deer backstrap out of the freezer, thawed it, and covered it in  my dry rub I mix up, roasted for 2 1/2 hours on 350 in a roaster, then let sit and rest, sliced it thin, then into strips, stir fryed green peppers and onions from my garden out of the freezer, with some rice and chili powder. When this was done, stirred in the deer steak strips, then loaded this onto a layer of fresh mex blend soft cheese wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla. Topped of with some  canned green chili sauce and sour cream. Two of these bad boys and I am full. Everything but the cheese and tortillas came off the farm here, dirt cheap supper fer me and the wife, and dang it is some kind of good, even if I did fix it! There is a satisfaction eating good wholesome food ,made from game you killed in the woods or from your garden and your own hard work, that is hard to explain to some folks. AGain, I get so tired of folks thinking deer meat is just good for jerky and such. The wife and I process our own deer, grind it, steaks and stew meat, and can a lot of it. As I sit here stuffed to the gills, I am just plain grateful we live in a country, for now anyway, where we can continue this lifestyle, and hopefully pass it on.
   I had two deer, bucks given to me this fall by other hunters, I kept a small portion, and divided the rest of the processed meat with some local retirees, 3 couples on a fixed income, who had told me they could not often afford meat. They were all very appreciative, and the feeling you get from helping others out is a great reward. I had one of my 4H kids I coach,who hunts with me help me do this, and hopefully he will pay it forward in his future.  Just thought I would share.
samuel koger

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Enjoying the fruits of our labours!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Boy that sounds mighty good. Great job in helping others as well.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Koger,

Thats super interesting and I have major respect for people like yourself, who dowhat they do!

I'm curious, how did you come about making your rubs? That sounds interesting and would like to take a stab at it myself.

I'm probably the worst cook on this forum, but I still love experimenting with my meals, especially if its something I can make!
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Your going to go thru all of that and not post any pics?  That sounds awesome.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline robhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Making me hungry!

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
Sam you just make sure you bring some of that meat to the KY tradefest and me and you will still be good friends..lololol  Just kiddin ol buddy I guess I'll be friends with ya anyway..lol  Good to hear of you helping people.  I wouldn't expect anything less from ya though.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Nothing more satisfying than a "cheap"  hard earned meal.  I love to garden and when I make a meal that consists of fruit of my labors, I am as happy as they come.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
I just finished frying up some pork sausage that I made. We will have it for breafest for the next few days.

I made some sausage balls for a couple of the christmas parties that we went to. You should have seen the looks on everyones face when I told them that these were "Organic" sausage balls. They then proceeded to eat all of them!

It is a great feeling to take it from the field to the table!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
We made 50lbs of Merguez sausage yesterday with some friends!! They are great, even if not made of wild meat. We use lamb, like they are suppose to be. I really hate buying commercial meat, and avoid it as much as I can, but didn't get a moose this year, and we ain't vegetarian, so...

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Your a man of similar heart, and mind, I guess that's why alot of us    meet here on this medium. Helping others is even more gratifying.Keep enjoyimg the good life.   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
Very well said, Sam.  And that supper sounds fantastic!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 03:17:00 AM »
Nothing like fresh or even canned home grown stuff. We are planning on building a chicken coop for eggs and meat. I also thought about raising some rabbits. If things get tough rabbits raise pretty quickly. Of course gotta have a garden every year. There's plenty of fruit in the woods to make jelly.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©