3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cajun Getaway  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Cajun Getaway
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
During the St. Jude auction last summer one item in particular caught my eye.  Fred Trahan (awbowman) had offered up a package at his hunting camp "Too Blessed to Be Stressed" for two people to experience all the wonders of life in Cajun country. The culture, the food, and hopefully some deer hunting!

I love trying new things and seeing different places, so this was right up my alley.  My buddy Tippit was planning his retirement and I knew he would be looking for something to do, so we teamed up on the bidding for this trip.  We were not to be denied!

The dates were set for mid-January.  This should put us smack dab in the middle of the Louisiana rut...  :thumbsup:  

Fred was gracious enough to allow me to bring my wife Irene along.  We drove down ahead of time for a little camping first, and then picked Jeff up at the airport on our way to Fred's camp.

Come along on our Cajun adventure!!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cajun Getaway
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
The chance to try deer hunting in a totally different environment was one of the lures of this trip. Judging by the pictures Fred had been sharing I think Louisiana a sleeper state for whitetails, and we were really looking forward to it.  I know ya'll want to hear about the hunting, and we will get to that.  but first things first.

As we would soon learn, life in Cajun country is all about the food.  In many hunting camps it is the guy that shoots the biggest bucks and is the best hunter that gets the most respect.  In Louisiana that honor belongs to the camp cook.  Food is king, and those that prepare it are rightly held in high esteem.

Fred had set up an All Star lineup for our visit, with at least one, and often two different guest chefs each night.  We were told upon arrival that if we didn't each leave at least three pounds heavier the trip would be considered a bust.  I can tell you that I did my part not to disappoint...
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
:campfire:  You are making me hungry already Joe!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
The first night was a treat for both Jeff and I in that Kip Manual would be one of the chefs.  We had both spent time in Quebec bear camp with Kip and had first hand experience with his culinary skills.

I was too busy eating most of the time to get pictures of everything.  It started out with corn and shrimp soup followed by mouth watering marinated ribeyes with crawfish etouffee piled on top.  

Our gracious host, Fred Trahan

Proper preparation takes time, and the kitchen is the focus of the social gathering.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
It was a true pleasure having y'all in camp Joe.  There are no guests at camp "Too Blessed to Be Stressed” only friends.  You northerners were true troopers never once questioning the menus.  Y’all were always ready to try anything on the plate.

But don't let those cooks fool you Whip, these guys can hunt too!  In fact some of them are what I might describe as predators.  You might have noticed none of them are vegetarians. Lol

I only wish y’all could have experienced the hunting at its best, but I guess that is getting a little ahead of the story.  There will be a next time, the good Lord willing.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Look at Kip, giving Jeff a cooking lesson in the background!  I love it
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
I want to thank Scott Pitre and Kip Manual for Tuesday's menu.  Even I was impressed how the two cooks "married" the steak and crawfish so well.

Let the wine and other beverages flow.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
We had an absolute blast.  Fred set the table even before we got there with this E-mail Menu   :scared:

MENU FOR ST. JUDE'S TRIP

Tuesday Night (January 8th):

I figure we’ll be busy telling lies and introducing ourselves, so we will keep it quick, but oh so good.  I was thinking grilled steaks with Kip Manuel’s famous crawfish etouffee piled on top. Add a salad and bread ... SA CE BON!!!

Did I mention Corn Soup with Shrimp for an appetizer?   pure heaven guys!

Wednesday Night (January 9th):

This is a little piece of heaven from Avoyelles/Evangeline Parish which speaks to the essence and soul of this proud land.  You will “feel” like a lifelong resident from the first bite.  We are going for super simplicity tonight, but that doesn’t mean we are letting our cooking talents wavier.  In fact, gaining strength if anything!  This guy could make you eat your shoes AND SOCKS in a gravy!  My good buddy, Josh Townsend (aka the Ragin Cajun himself) will be cooking pantoilettes, maque choux, loaded potatoes, and rice and gravy …  THAT’S IT!                                              

I know it may sound simple when compared to last nights menu, but don’t let simplicity cloud your judgment.  This is just plain …..  simple …..  soulfully good food  that has to be eaten to be appreciated.  TOTAL consumption is the goal.  Throwing the last bit of the potatoes into the remaining smidgen of gravy as a way of getting every drop is a great plan too.

Appetizers ….. I guess backstrap would be good.

Thursday Night (January 10th):

Let’s see, we have menus for Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Time for a change of pace ….. Thursday Night’s Menu is seafood, and lots of it.

The main course is going to be catfish courtboullion on a bed of Louisiana rice.   The St. Landry Parish chef I have in mind does not use any cooking utensils when preparing this dish, preferring to shake and swirl the pot instead of stirring it with a spoon.   This prevents the fish from falling apart (and extends the cooking time those few extra minutes) for absolute cooking perfection.  While he makes it look easy, absolute heat control is the key to this dish, and I can assure you he has perfected it.  

BTW, I have never seen this dish cooked without A LOT of beer being consumed.   I’ve tried not to interject anything about the quantity of beer we drink during our cooking escapades, but the subject was bound to come up sooner or later.  For the novice, we would like to caution him/her that this shaking/swirling action is MUCH harder than it looks and it can get REALLY complicated after a dozen or so beers.  For this reason, it’s the one receipt that WE WOULD NOT RECOMMEND EVER TRYING AT HOME.

A generous side of fresh homemade potato salad from Dennis Soileau (good Cajun name) and hot Sister Shubert bread rounds out the main meal.  Why the bread you say?   Well we have found that having bread to “slop up” the final contents of the bowl GREATLY reduces the embarrassing occurrence of watching first timers trying to lick the bowl’s final contents!  It’s that good guys.

Appetizers ….. hmmmmmm, well I was thinking alligator legs, fried oysters,  and fried frog legs would be a nice change of pace .....  and if the season permits, we’ll add some fried crab fingers.  All this from Chef Bowfreak himself!

It’s a large menu and you will be stuffed, but it will be worth it.  As always, I will be supervising every one of these dishes to assure it reaches absolute perfection.  After all, my camp has a reputation to uphold!

Friday Night (January 11th):

My brother MAY be on hand to cook a “little” seafood gumbo for an appetizer …. a sample of what’s to come tomorrow. The best gumbo is started the night before and be allowed to reach “maturity” the next day.  Tonight’s about recharging the batteries in anticipation for Saturday’s blowout.

We’ll be at Al Huguet’s Camp.  We’ll be hunting in the wet thick stuff trying to get on a good deer at his place.  We’ll also be eating at his camp tonight.  Pot roasted teal (heck I might even stir the pot tonight), black eyes with andouille sausage and some grilled backstrap.

Saturday (January 12th):

Saturday will be a day of rest (well sort of) …..  I think I have saved the best for last ….. the “joie de vivre” I’ve been promising y’all.    You are about to experience Cajun life to it’s fullest, or at least as full as I can share it with you in the short amount of time you are going to be here.  A little day of celebrating the many blessing we have here in Louisiana.  I’m not sure how many people will be there, because no one is ever turned away from a good Cajun party.  We’ll kick the party off about 2:00 PM (after a morning hunt), but you can bet some fires will already be lit.

I can’t speak to the exact foods on the menu because I have decided that an event like this can only be handled by my twin brother Freddy.  That’s right, my name is Fred (actually Frederick) and I have a twin brother named Freddy!  I may get to that story later, but safe to say it is pretty funny.  Some people would say we are the Barry and Gene of Cajun Land!!!

To be honest, I almost hate to get him involved, because he is the definition of overkill and cajun hospitality.  The last time I put him in charge, a little party of 20 turned into a completely unannounced party of 120 people or so that he “just couldn’t turn away”  ……  and still we had food left over, but that’s my bro, and I love him.  I figure the leftovers can be used to top off care packages for the homeless or Yankees.  Figure on at least 10 dishes being cooked by him and his cooking crew over the afternoon and NOBODY actually eats dinner by the time it rolls around. I am sure you will also leave with a few of his Cajun cooking secrets and stories.  I would try and get some specifics from him, but he’s not much on “advanced planning” …..  he kind of lets it come to him and his crew at the very end.  I will say, however, that his resources are nearly endless (his crew cooks for 1,000 as effortlessly as we cook for two) so who knows what or who will be there. I will go out on the limb (just to wet your palette) and say that you can pretty much count on seafood gumbo, baby backed ribs with a Cajun twist, Cajun microwave pig (whole hog), jambalaya, red beans and rice, boudin, cracklins (I might get someone to cook them from scratch so y’all can see how it’s done), crawfish fettuccine, bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp, bread stuffed with crawfish etouffee, fried everything, more stuffed chickens and our own version of a hopped up BANG BANG SHRIMP ….  oh and pecan pies and king cakes.  Drinks ? … we usually fill the 14’ wooden pirogue (handcrafted by my Dad and I almost 35 years ago) full of beer, wine, and other drinks!  Rule #2, no one ever gets thirsty.  The camp fire will be roaring, the Cajun music will be playing, and you will see, hear and be constantly surrounded by the “joie de vivre” that is CAJUN LAND!

Sunday (January 13th):

Whoa, I’m worn out!!!  A couple of Hebert’s Boneless Stuffed Chickens tonight.  This is a meal in itself.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
When we arrived in camp it was raining.  And it kept right on raining through the night.  And the next day.  It wasn't even good weather for ducks, let alone deer.  But it really didn't matter - we had better things to do.  Like eat.

On the menu for the second night was a unique dish not found anywhere but the Avoyelles/Evangeline Parish region of the state.  The main course was pantoilettes prepared by Josh Townsend.  Again, I was too busy shoveling in to take pictures.  All I can tell you is that it was one of the most delectible meals I have ever eaten!

Day three's menu was highlighted by catfish courtboullion on a bed of Louisiana rice prepared by Troy.  He is not only a great chef, but a perfomer as well!  

One of Troys rules is that NOBODY touches the pot!  The lid doesn't come off until it is time to eat.  Fred has a hard time with rules....

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
Oops....I had just bet my brother-in-law at Xmas a dozen salmon flies that I could lose 15# before he could.  Big Mistake  :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
How about some frog legs and alligator wings for appetizers?

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Time for a little break from all this eating...

Deer hunting was also on the agenda.  Or so we hoped...

Did I mention that it was raining?  This scene from the weather channel never seemed to change other than the size of the red area.  We were sitting right in the middle of it.

We didn't really need the TV to tell us that though.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Good times for sure.  

I think one of the highlights of the dinners was Wednesday night when Ms. Irene sat back and quietly said "guys I'm so drunk!"  I am still laughing at that.  I must say I had been worried about the amount of beer my buddies drink, but y'all drank right along with us.

Oh, and that guy in the green shirt is Chase Hebert.  He is cooking the frog and alligator legs and is known around us as Chef BowFreak.  He is truly a master chef.  I'll have to let him cook more than appetizers next time.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I am not sure what the grand total was, but we heard there had been 8 1/2 inches just overnight.  Add that to what had fallen the day before and we found ourselves in the middle of one of the worst floods in history of the area.  Remember, these people went through the remnants of hurricane Katrina.  They know what rain is about.  They were calling this one a once in 500 year event!   :scared:    :scared:  

Roads were closed, with flooding throughout the area.  We investigated Fred's hunting lease and that option seemed out of the question.  We did have another option though.

Will Huguet's father Al has a hunting property very near to Fred's lease, and they had invited us to spend a day or two hunting on their property.  It was flooded as well, but the deer in this part of the country live with water all the time, and they felt sure that we could get on some.

Friday looked to be our shot, with the forecast calling for a break in the rain.  Al had been out and looked at the property and found that the hunting land was virtually all under water. Will is a resourceful and imaginitive guy though, and doesn't give up easily.  They really wanted to show us a hunt, and he formulatted a plan...

The idea was to drive in as far as we could, then Al would wade out in hip boots to get his Kawasaki Mule, which he would then bring back to transport us back to some treestands.

It was a good plan.  If only the Mule had a snorkle.  Al made it back to us ok, but the added weight of passengers bogged it down in the deepest spot.  The mule drowned in the middle and died....

Al to the rescue - Plan B!

We towed the Mule to higher ground, and Jeff, Will and I climbed into our new mode of transportation.  These guys do not know when to quit, and were determined that nothing was going to keep us from hunting that night!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Having eaten Kip's cooking before I can only bet that the rest was amazing! I am looking forward to him coming here in April so that I can put him to work in my kitchen in trade for an IL gobbler  :)  On with the feast, I mean story...
Mike Davenport

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Hah, glad to see this.  We passed a good time.

Note: This ain't the swamp, that is a soybean field in the background that was over 2 feet deep (in the good spots).
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
I think one of the highlights of the dinners was Wednesday night when Ms. Irene sat back and quietly said "guys I'm so drunk!"  I am still laughing at that.  I must say I had been worried about the amount of beer my buddies drink, but y'all drank right along with us.

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

I think at that point she had a beer or two and was on her second glass of monkey shine wine.  She always has been a cheap date  :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Before we left Fred had said to bring along a pair of knee high boots, and they should be perfect for getting around while hunting.  As I was wading in to my stand and the water was lapping around my crotch I was thinking to myself that I should have taller knees.....

My stand

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
My stand was high & dry.  I was feel pretty smug about dry feet when Al came to pick us up at dark knowing Joe & Will were already toting knee high boots full of water   :)

PS:  Sorry I don't seem to have any pictures though  :confused:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Can't wait Mike.Jeff and Joe looks more like your are duck hunting instead of deer with all the water but boots way too short.Fred look at the pic again my arms and yours are moving.You know the old joke a Cajun with only one arm has a speech impediment.Had a great time meeting Joe, Irene,and Jeff and spending time with everyone except maybe one nite of Jeffs snoreing next nite I found my ear plugs.The rain kinda gave us cabin fever but glad there was one clear day at Al's camp.Fred was a great host and really went all out.Kip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©