3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to Trad! Need some help..  (Read 351 times)

Offline BauerSB

• Trad Bowhunter
New to Trad! Need some help..
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Hello everyone, I am extremely new to trad archery and am looking for a bow to get started. My issue is that I am 6'5" with a draw of 31.5". I was wondering what everyone thought about this bow below? Would it be long enough limb wise and would I have any stacking problems? I want to use it for hunting of course btw. Let me know what y'all think.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=056580#000000

I Figure at my draw length it should be around 44#s correct?

The seller also has a long draw around 31.5 like me and claims to pull fine.

If anyone has a bow that ya think would fit me well and thinking about selling let me know.

Thank you guys. Much appreciated.

Scott
66" Fox Triple Crown 48 @ 30
58" Big Jim Thunderchild being built

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to Trad! Need some help..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
You might look at the Samick Journey also.  The 64" model pulls EASILY to my 32.5" draw. $129.00 at Lancaster Archery Supply.
Most bows gain 2-2 1/2 pounds per inch, so a 35 lb. at 28" draw should put you around 43-44 lbs.
Welcome to a great sport!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
Looks like a beautiful bow.  It would be a great starter bow to work on form and consistancy.  I would think it would be a bit light for hunting whitetails though.  I would want to be at least in the mid 40's for deer, there are those who would disagree with me though.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
First I have to ask How did you measure your draw length? and second at 6'5" I would look into a longbow it would fit your needs a bit better.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
That bow looks perfect for you IMO; and at your draw you can use it for just about anything. The seller is new so make sure you check him out. Good luck!    :thumbsup:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
That bow looks perfect for you IMO; and at your draw you can use it for just about anything. The seller is new so make sure you check him out. Good luck!    :thumbsup:

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
I agree with Bjorn.  Good weight to start with (about 42-44 at your draw), good length as well and Wings are good bows. Not that it will make a big difference, but are you sure your draw is 31 1/2?  If it was measured while shooting a compound, it will likely be an inch or more shorter shooting a recurve or longbow.

Offline BauerSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Yes, my draw is 31.5" with a compound. That is how I measured it. So you think it would be shorter with a recurve? See I am very new with Trad and I am excited to get into it but I want to make 100% certain that I find a bow that will fit me perfect before I shell out the money. I am a recent college grad STILL in search of a job, so I don't have the money to just be throwing around. So I want to make a good and confident purchase. I of course want quality but understand only so much can get great quality with my allowance.

So any advice from you guys go a long way. If you guys want to message me even it would be much appreciated. I just want to get a good bow and make sure it fits me well for hunting. Prefer a recurve (one piece or takedown). Just let me know what you guys think would be perfect for me. I want a starter bow but I want something that I can use and be happy with for a long time to come.

Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
Bjorn has it right. I would re-check your draw length when switching over. When I shot wheels,I shot a 30"draw. I anchored way back behind my jawbone,form was different,etc. Now with traditional,form is different,and anchor is the corner of my mouth,shooting fingers...not a mechanical release. I'd re-check bud. Good luck,and have fun with it. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
I would buy that one... you can't get hurt at that price. perfect weight to get started too.      :thumbsup:

Offline BauerSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
What do you guys think about the Samick Journey 64" takedown that manitou brought to my attention? Would that be good for me? And is that a good quality bow or is it just like a mass product? Don't forget I'm new to this. Ha. I like the looks and specs of the Samick but what y'all think? WILL IT HAVE ENOUGH WEIGHT BEHIND IT TO HUNT? Cuz it doesn't say it's # on the Lancaster site..

Thank you.

Offline BauerSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by riverrat 2:
Bjorn has it right. I would re-check your draw length when switching over. When I shot wheels,I shot a 30"draw. I anchored way back behind my jawbone,form was different,etc. Now with traditional,form is different,and anchor is the corner of my mouth,shooting fingers...not a mechanical release. I'd re-check bud. Good luck,and have fun with it. rat'
Riverrat thanks for the advice. With my compound my draw is in fact 31.5" but that is just past the corner of my mouth. So lets say it is 30.5" for recurves...then now what would be the best (APPROXIMATELY) bow specs/size for me???? Still around a 62-64" recurve and in low 40#s? I don't know...help me out. Cuz this could mean I need to be looking at other bows that may be for sale. Would that Samick be decent still or not something to look at?

Thanks.

Offline BauerSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Please help fellas. Really need some more concrete advice. Thanks guys.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I sent you an email Scott
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BauerSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
There are a couple of ways to get an estimate of what your draw will be. You can get a yard stick or arrow and hold it on your chest and reach out with both hands(not stretching) and make it so both of your middle fingers are even and what ever measurement you are at is what your draw is roughly.

Another way is to divide you height in inches by 2.5, this gives you about a 31 draw. Now these are estimates so you might have a longer draw. So you are in the right area as far as your draw is concerned.

As far as the bows goes I would see why either wouldn't work but more people may have better information on that.

Hope this Helps, Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Scott,in my opinion..longer is better. From my experience,the longer bows draw smoother,and are just more shootable. And with a longer draw like yours,that is even going to be more so. If I were you,I would say a bow no shorter than 62",up to whatever. 40-45 at 28" should be fine as well. Good luck,have fun,rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©