3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can there be too much FOC??  (Read 747 times)

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Can there be too much FOC??
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Is there a limit on how much weight you can add up front?
I am now shooting WW's 150's with 100 grain brass inserts on 5575 Gold Tips and shoot a Bob Lee Sig recurve 59 @ 28.  I am thinking of going up to some 200 grain Phantoms. The more i read on this site i get more interested in FOC and want to know how much it too much??
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can there be too much FOC??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I suppose there is a point of diminishing returns, but I don't think you're there yet.  I'm shooting very close to the same set up as you with great results.  My bow is 57# @ 29", and I have 275 grains up front on 5575 Gold Tips.  Love them!  I did try a little more, but found they weakened the shaft too much.  Adding or subtracting weight up front will affect arrow spine and is the easiest way to tune an arrow to your bow.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:01:00 AM »
I'm shooting Beman MFX 400s out of a 57@28 Horne Combo. 100gn inserts & 200gn up front, they fly like lazers! I can't see how you could have too much weight up front, as long as your spine works out correctly, surely more = better!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
I'm having the same good results  I use 250 maximas and 200 Carbon express with 250gr points + aluminum inserts from my 51# bow aand they fly perfect and penetration on everything is MORE on everything I shoot at--> they hit very hard!
"Us vs Them"

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
I use a STOS broadhead, its been a few years since I bought them but I think they are 160 gr. and with a 100 gr insert.  Full length 65-80 carbon shafts weigh in @ 600 gr total.  These fly right out of a 65# shrew and deliver plenty of thump.  Quite a bit FOC but they are tuned to the bow.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
No such thing as too much as long as you can tune them in. The perfect arrow would have all the weight in the BH with a shaft that weighs zero....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
good to know O.L.

Also it is nice to see a God walking amongst mere men from time to time. LOL!!
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Tajua and others ... please be aware that Dr. Ashby, in his most recent tests, has shown aluminum inserts to be a major point of failure in screw-in broadhead systems. He recommends steel, or brass at the least. By making the switch, you'll not only strengthen your arrows system in the event of a heavy bone hit, but also add a bit more FoC.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©