3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can this be fixed???  (Read 520 times)

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Can this be fixed???
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Well, since reading the way I learned to string a recurve can cause a twisted limb, and using a stringer is better/safer, I made a stringer.  It broke and this is the result--a twisted limb and a great shiner above my right eye!  I am really blessed it didn't take my eye out, but just smacked the brow with the flat part of the limb.  

So....can it be fixed or is it just a wall hanger now?  I'd like to keep her shooting, it is a Ben Pearson Colt made in 1970.  Any advice will be appreciated-I've no idea.  Thanks.

Ron  

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can this be fixed???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
That does not look too bad and you should be able to correct that.

Here is one method:

LIMB STRAIGHTENING (BUMPING)
Should a limb become twisted, it will remain twisted until you straighten or 'bump' it back to the straight position. 'Bumping' involves the placement of one hand near the twisted section of the limb and the other hand on the riser section. A twisted limb can be straightened in this manner by applying pressure in the opposite direction of the twist. You should unstring your bow before straightening a twisted limb. Neglecting a twisted limb will only allow the twist to become more severe. A brief inspection of each limb should be made each time you string your bow.
Lon Scott

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
Blackhawk, nailed it. Doing that should cure your problem, especially with such a slight twist. I fixed a twisted recurve once that was a lot worse, but used a more extreme method.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »
I do the same as blackhawk but I do leave it strung and also use my right hand to rub the limb with the palm of my hand to create a little heat.

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
use a hair dryer to heat the limb to where its almost to hot to hold in hand and then twist it the opposite direction it is twisting in  after that immediately run under cold water this sets the limb . do this to a unstrung bow .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I've always done it strung that way I can see how much twist I am putting in the limb and the string will aid in the reverse twist,never twisting so much that it comes of the limb. Why unstrung never had a problem and it seems to work well. If it was badly twisted I would unstring and remove as much as possible but this doesn't look that bad to me.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
If....and ...if ..only...if... the "bumping" doesn't work...you can take a chain saw file and slowly and lightly lower the shoulder of the nock I pointed out lets say 1/16 to 1/8 inch..  be careful about heating the limb to correct it....epoxy has a set temp...almost boiling water and a hot hair dryer could be higher than that's bow set temp......Most importantly if the twist is in the limb, you have a chance but twist in the curve....it's better to lower the nock groove like I suggested....You can use some thin super glue as "finish" on the filed part..good luck

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
I don't want to sound like some wise ass or insult anyone in any way,but please don't use heat on your bow as it was laminated using heat and can vary well become unlaminated using heat.Bear bows were lamed at 160 degrees and then to cure the finish was heated again to 120 degrees.Old Bens bows were 140 and 100 degrees cure and finish.Production work,get er done.Exceding that heat range can unglue your bow ie hair drier or heat guns get way to hot.It does not happen everytime,but is not that uncommon for some bows to break after being heated.Lon (BH) is correct,twist the limb the oppisite way and hold it there 20-30 seconds.Then check and see if it stays.If you are haveing trouble with it staying.Meaning in bowdoc terms it took a good lick,getting twisted.I use the bath tub and run warm water over the twist only.Now when I say warm,I mean about 80-90 degrees no more.Start your twisting again,it is vary importent to twist a little past center,you know make the twist with your hands go about as far as you can.Stung or unstrung is your call.Stung is best as that will help hold the limb straight,but again working on a wet limb with wet hands can lead to,well you already know what can happen when a limb slips.You can trust me on that one too,in my line of work I have been wacked on the head hit in the mouth and poked in the eyes by damaged bows probley more then anyone.I even managed to hit my wife at least twice with damaged bows stringing them and then pulling to full draw in the living room.(no blood no foul)But again I don't want to get into a pissen match with someone on how to straighten bows.Just letting you know your bow was heat laminated at the factory to only 140 degrees.Here's another tip,if at all possible gently clamp the bow in a vise,I use some thick leather to protect the riser.Limb tips pointing up bow unstrung.Step back one or two steps and you will see the twist real easy,with the bow still clamped in the vise do your twisting while it's clamped much easier.Eack time you make a couple twists just step back and it will tell you alot.Once the two limb tips are lined back up she should be ready to shoot.I myself do them strung and pull the bow a few times during the process (only in my shop now).But again twisting on the limb of a strung bow can cause problems sometimes by the string actuly slipping off the edge and breaking the limb.Again guy's and gals I don't want to insult anyone's way of working on a bow just don't want to see anyone's wife get hit by fling limbs,it's not pretty.bd

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
I would never, ever, twist a limb strung opposite way to correct a twist.  :knothead:   That string could and can roll over that nock edge and twist and roll in your hand plus ruin the limb. It will scare the crap out of you. As I said before...heat....is not an option....Keep your chin up Ron ..I see brand new $800 custom bows with all the bells and whistles and carvings with crooked "ears" that don't track and people shoot them fine....If for some magical reason you do hand twist it "unstrung" and it corrects it....DON"t unstring it for a YEAR!...shoot it, shoot it

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
OK, thanks for all the help!  It seems to have come out with just "bumping" the limb.  I didn't really want to use heat, and the finish is so beat-up, water didn't sound like a good idea either, it would soak in too many places.

I just took it out in the shop and shot a few arrows and it seems fine-the string returned to the right place and I can't detect any more twist.  

Now for the next question.  I am in the habit of unstringing my bows when I am finished shooting them.  Now that it seems to have the twist removed, should I leave it strung for a while?  Does it really make a difference?  Let me know what you all think, and thanks for the good advice!

Ron

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
And joebuck, thanks for the picture-pointer.  It is interesting that the nock shoulder you recommend lowering if all else failed, actually is a little higher than the right side, by about 1/32".  I wonder if that has anything to do with the way the limb twisted?

Ron

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
Although some might say it's Ok to leave it strung(and maybe they're right) but, personally I wouldn't leave an old recurve like that strung for a long time. I'd get a stringer and unstring it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
Glad you got it worked out.I fixed a widow the same way once.after it was straight I kept it braced for awhile.I wanted it to remember where it was supposed to be.dont know if that helped but the limb stayed straight and tracked straight when drawing the bow.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
Lowering or moveing string knocks or string grooves on older bows can add twist to most of them.The bow was fine when she left the factory in 1973.The problem happened after manufacturing.When the bow is at a full draw the lowerd side has nothing to do with the twist.bd

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Ron, glad's it working for you. There are several variations of limb twist. Hopefully your's was not cell compression and the bow will continue to track. However "bumping" is not an antibiotic but merely lessoned the new the stronger side created by the twist. IMO I would leave the bow strung and if it starts to untrack again in the near future..Lower the high side nock from belly view just so slightly to permenantly have the string track. Uneven string nock grooves are a huge culprit for causing good limbs to "twist" when braced. Nothing is more distracting than starting to draw a string and hear it "click" over into belly grove...to the handful of those that emailed me this week about this subject....hold tight...i get back to you ..I promise

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
portugeejn,

I bought an old Shakespear Necedah from the site who's name we don't mention here... ;p  Both limbs were twisted about the same as yours looks in the picture.  I used the "bump" method to work on mine, and it worked fine... for a while.  Unfortunately, the twist had "set" into the limbs bad enough, that it would return eventually.

I continued to hand straighten the limbs when I noticed the twist recurring, and I also left the bow strung at a high brace overnight after straightening. (like 9" brace)  This seemed to help "set" the proper alignment back, and now she's straight as a string again.

Good luck!
Curtis
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Yaa i took the brace hieght on my widow up real high like about 10 inches and kept it strung as well for quite  awhile

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
Well, after leaving it strung overnight, I took it out in the shop and shot a few arrows from it this evening, and the twist is back.  Not as bad as the picture, but it is back.  

I placed it on a flat surface, and there is the smallest bit of rock side to side.  I bumped it back, with a little more pressure and length of time, and it straightened right up again.  Pulled it a few times and let it down slowly, and it stayed.  

I unstrung it and it is hanging from a peg in my bow closet.  So, what's next?  Thanks!

Ron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©