3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One for South  (Read 1015 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
One for South
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Was able to get out for an afternoons adventure today. I road over to a local WMA not really knowing what to expect. I have not been on it since October but have hunted it for many years and if pork was on it I knew a few places to look.
  I parked the truck at a gated walk in area and headed for the swamp.I gotta admit it felt good. Iv`e not been able to hunt much for different reasons and an afternoon all to myself with a new bow in my hand was gonna be sweet...pig or not.
  I took a few shots along the way and they were all on the money. I dropped off in the swamp and headed toward the River. Probably a mile and half away. Went through a lot of pork sign and had to stop and get a pic of some...

Neat looking bow rack here..gives you an idea of how tall these Cypress knees are...

Neat tree...

On to the Ocmulgee...

I sat here and took a pic of the River and sent a text to a couple good friends. Rested the legs a bit and admired a beautiful bow in my lap. I had been sick a few weeks ago and since tearing my calf a couple of years ago I have got badly out of shape. I have committed to shaping up and today was to be the beginning. I plan to hunt with Pat Kelly again and walk till he sez "Uncle". If you know Pat you know that will be a task.
  I headed on a bearing across the swamp to a honey hole I have killed a lot of Winter pork on. Walked in a lot of sign along the way. I sat down again on a log and relaxed. Maybe dozed a minute or so then heard a pig squeal. I got the wind right and struck out for them. I finally spotted them and started sneaking in. there were about a half dozen 60 lb shoats and two sows with 6 thats right 6 big boars around. A sow was ripe and it was a constant fight between the boars . The woods were very thick and I worked my way to the action on my hands and knees. I got to within 15 yards of the shoats and was ready to shoot as soon as one hit an opening.....

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One for South
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Keep it going buddy  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
AWW  YEAH!!!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Bring it on Brother!  Smells like BBQ....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
:campfire:
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I was on my knees waiting on one of the shoats to get right when a big black boar pushed the sow in between me and the shoats. The boar and the sow were in thick stuff at only 10 yards or so and all I could do was wait. The leaves or very crunchy and moving was no option. After a couple seconds the boar tried his sweet heart again and she took off again. Playing hard to get. I looked back at the shoats and they had moved farther away during the ruckus.I had to go over a big fallen log and I moved forward a bit. The shoats were in a low spot and I could only see backs and ears. ...Here come the boar and sow again. This time the sow comes by at about 5 yards and turns away at a steady walk. she hits a football size opening and I shoot quick hoping to squeeze the arrow through in front of her ham angled towards the off shoulder. I shoot a bit left maybe a couple of inches and the arrow goes in the ham and angles deep forward. She takes a few hops and hits another opening and I make a perfect second shot with the arrow lodged in the off shoulder. I hear her run a bit and go down. The boars are all around popping teeth and fighting. Another sow squeals and they are off chasing her. I walk over to where I last saw the sow...

Then a bit farther...

I want to again Thank South Cox for building me such a beautiful bow. It is the most beautiful bow I have ever owned and shoots as good as it looks.South built it to match "Hope" one of the St. Judes twins I killed a hog in this very swamp with . So I decided to name it "Charity"..Because it is a twin to a twin. You know...Hope,Faith and Charity.Thanks again South God Bless,RC

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Here piggy piggy....

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Too cool!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Way to go RC! Nice hog and good story! Thanks for posting it up!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
RC I always love reading your stories. Kind of feel like I am right along with you. Hope to hear many more in the future. Congratulations on the new bow. I followed that story as well and know you are really proud of it.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Fine shooting and thanks for the story, great pictures as always..
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
RC...you are to hogs what 'thumper dunker' is to coyotes!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Great job, Robert!  That pig never had a chance.  That sure looks like a tasty one.  Don't worry brother, I am just getting over being sick myself so right now we would be neck and neck.  I promise by the time we hunt again I will be ready to put some steps in.  Great job, again, and beautiful bow.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Very fitting Robert. Congrats on the hog and the bow  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Way to go Robert...good stuff brother    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
RC,  Way to go on the pig hunting.  Cannot wait to meet you in a few weeks and visit.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
That is awesome, RC!!!!!! Charity is a fitting name for such a great bow. I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on Hope in the auction.

Congrats on the pig!

Bisch

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Like always......   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Way to go RC! Critters in da woods better hide  :)
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©