3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: homemade targets  (Read 231 times)

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
homemade targets
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Thought I'd share this with you guys, especially the "newer" folks in archery.

I posted a thread couple weeks ago about "what bag target do you use?" The main response I got was a little variety of name brand bag targets... But mostly burlap bags homemade with plastic bags and such...

I've been watching this guys channel for a couple weeks, he has some pretty neat videos.

Heres one on home made targets...

Whats been working best for me is the pet store! yep, I go to the pet store and buy a couple rubber/soft pet toys for a couple dollars. Their great to take to the office for lunch breaks, and even better for when I'm out stump shooting. I usually get them in sizes no bigger then a baseball. Not that I have kids, but I imagine it would be awesome for the younger age groups. He has a funny video showing that as well.

Hope this helps some of you! It sure helped me.

God Bless
Jake
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: homemade targets
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:00 AM »
I've stuffed several of my dog's empty Purina Dog Chow bags with lots and lots of plastic grocery bags and whatever other plastic wrapping trash, then duct tape them closed.  After a few months I managed to have quite a few bags strategically placed in my backyard to shoot at.  They've been able to stop the arrows from my 60# Samick Sage.

One con, though, is that when I first place them outside in the summer time, lots of ants get in them to get whatever dog food residue is left.  But after a week or so, the ants are all gone.

As for dog toys, I have a few that belong to my dogs in the backyard.  I haven't thought of shooting them til you mentioned it, but maybe I'll try those next time.

And for those who've thought of shooting at Bois D'arc "apples" left lying on the ground, I can say they've left quite a sticky, gooey mess on my arrows when I've shot at them.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
small pet toys are great for small game practice
Also tennis balls and small nerf footballs.
Places like dollar stores are a great resource.
 :)
Slickhead

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
My current favorite homemade target is made with a base of wood two long pieces of all thread and another piece of wood on top of a stack of cardboard. Tighten the nuts on the all thread and you compress the cardboard making yourself a poor mans "block" target.

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by tuscarawasbowman:
My current favorite homemade target is made with a base of wood two long pieces of all thread and another piece of wood on top of a stack of cardboard. Tighten the nuts on the all thread and you compress the cardboard making yourself a poor mans "block" target.
Great idea.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I just made a bunch from pool float rafts(tight celled foam) and my others are just couch cushions from sofa's put out on trash day.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online DKG

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
I like using tennis balls at short range and youth soccer balls for longer range.  I shoot them with blunts in the back yard with no problems.
“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God!  Let your good spirit lead me on level ground.”  Psalm 143:10

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©