3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tape.... feathers falling off  (Read 1379 times)

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletch Tape.... feathers falling off
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Been right around zero degrees here for the last few days. Fletch is falling off both vinyl wraps and bare carbon shafts. I just called Bohning Archery and all they said was " Yeah, we really never tested the tape in zero degree weather". Pretty disappointed since I prefer the tape to glue.
I know someone else posted this a few days ago but I couldn't find the thread.
Anyone else having issues with Bohning tape?
Tom

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tape.... feathers falling off
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
I had an issure with tape, but I don't remember if it was Bohning or if it was the Bear tape. It is still causing me grief...

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
I had some fletching fall off that was applied with tape.  It was very cold and the feathers just slid off the shaft.  I never tried it again.  I am not sure if it was Bohning or not.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
The only issues ive had with tape was because it was old or keep somewhere that it got hot....
    I keep my tape in the fridge and it stays good....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Never had a problem in the hot or in the cold. Just tape and a drop of glue on each end and one drop in the middle. Shoot in the low 20's on Monday and had no issues.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
I have never had them stick as well as glue...tried a bunch of things and went back to glue.  Faster and easier is not always better :-)

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
I had an arrow that sat out in the elements for a year. We hit the single digits. I had to rip the feathers off to refinish the shaft. Tape held tight. The quill is what was left on the shaft. A lot of folks clean the shaft but forget to clean the feather base after its in the clamp. Dust and oil from the skin gets on them too.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I have had the same thing happen and I have mentioned it here before. I wont use it its not dependable for hunting. When platium glue gets old it doesnt work either .

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
I had issues in Florida with the tape within a couple weeks of installing the feathers to the wrap. The ends were glued and held tight but the rest moved. I refletched with tape AND ran a bead of glue down both sides of the quill. Problem solved. Some say why not just glue? It is still much much faster to do a dozen this way vs with gluing alone since the arrow doesn't need to stay in the jig to dry. I only use a single jig. Can do a dozen in about an hour, maybe a bit more.
DonD

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Love fetching tape just use glue on both ends on the feather after it is put on with tape and should be good to go.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I like the tape for splicing feathers. I had some splices fall of but that was before I knew that the tape my have a shelf life. Now I do my splicing in large batches and discard tape that is left. Seems to have solved my issues so far ( 2 years ).

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by mike g:
The only issues ive had with tape was because it was old or keep somewhere that it got hot....
    I keep my tape in the fridge and it stays good....
Same here.  Doesn't really get fridgid cold here in Texas, but the summers are blistering hot with temps routinely well over 100.  I discovered that if the tape or tape-fletched arrows are kept in a non-airconditioned environment (garage or storage shed) during the summer months, it loses its adhesiveness.  Since then, keeping the tape in the fridge and arrows in airconditioning has solved the heat problem.

I still prefer the tape to glue, though.  Faster and less mess, but I still put a drop of glue at each end of the fletching.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
When it gets warm out the taped feathers will roll over at times. I went back to glue a long time ago.  I wondered if the tape was so good why do you have to apply glue to the front and back of the feather.  To hold it on???

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
When it gets warm out the taped feathers will roll over at times. I went back to glue a long time ago.  I wondered if the tape was so good why do you have to apply glue to the front and back of the feather.  To hold it on???
I do it so the edge of the quill is not sharp. Just like if using glue, I put a drop at each feather end. In pass through shots on targets it helps the feather go through without hanging up. Fletch tape in not 100% nor is glue if the shafts and feathers are not prepared properly. I have had fletch-taped feathers come off in hot weather after having left the arrows in a hot car. The glued ends remained in contact with the shaft. I do believe glue is superior, but not by too much. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I still use fletch tape.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
onewhohasfun ...

Where did they come apart?
Did the tape "unstick" from the feather and stay on the shaft or visa versa?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I have broke arrows and then stuck them in a flower pot to hold the plant up. They have been out side for 4 years...the feather is gone but the tape and the quill are still on the shaft. I can't ask for more than that.... I guess I will keep using the tape and a drop on glue!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
I shot a deer 3 yrs ago and of all things found the arrow this yr. Long way from last blood so I know he made it.
Feathers were just about gone, but the Bohning tape was still on it. It gets a little below zero around here at times.

I've never had any kind of problem with the tape. I wipe the carbon shafts down with isopropyl alcohol, or wraps if using.

Put feather in clamp and stick it to shaft.

Before I remove clamp I take my thumbnail and run it down the exposed part of feather (if any) in front and back of clamp.

Pull clamp off and run thumbnail down the entire length of feather to make it stand up straight and get good solid set.

When all feathers are on shaft I put a little glue on front to keep rough point from catching in targets and a little on back of feathers to keep then from curling.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
It happens.  I even got a bad tube of Duco last year.  Both are good products, but neither are perfect.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Clean the shaft/wrap well, apply in warm conditions, a drop of glue at each end. Never had a problem.  I have recovered arrows out in the pasture that sat under wet grass, through rain and frost and snow for several weeks and the taped feathers were still holding.
I wonder if there are inconsistencies in batches.  I have probably fletched 8-10 dozen arrows with Bohning tape with no ill results.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I need to add a disclaimer... I have never hunted with those arrows at zero temps either.  Coldest I shoot is around 20 degrees.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©