3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tape.... feathers falling off  (Read 1378 times)

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tape.... feathers falling off
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I had the same problem with tape and cold,even
scuffed shaft first and cleaned with mineral spirits and allowed to dry and also cleaned feathers. Went back to glue.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
I have had issues, but could have been a bad roll of tape.  I got it direct from Lancaster so wouldn't think it was setting around forever.  I had feathers curl and in cold weather fly off. I had this on two different carbon shaft types, and I prepped them in multiple ways trying to make it work.  Usually the tape stuck okay to the feather.  After paying for the tape and shipping to try it plus the wasted time and feathers, I just use glue now.  The glue stays in just fine.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
used tape in temps down to -20 without any problems. Only time I ever had a failure was when I didn't clean the arrow shafts before applying the fletch.

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Never have issues....I often have to rip feathers apart to get them off the shaft and then pick away at the quill for complete removal. Can't remember the brand but it is whatever 3Rivers sells.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
My shafts that failed were fletched with 2 seperate rolls of tape. Tape was always kept in the bsmnt. where it's cool. One roll of tape was brand new to me and the store said they just got them in. Always prep first. One set was over vinyl wraps, the other was on bare carbons.

Just never had a problem till it got down to ZERO.

The part that got me was Bohning said; "We never tested the tape in below zero temps"

Really?
Tom

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Have had too many fall off using fletch tape. A shame really as it is so quick and easy to use. I tried every way of cleaning, still comme loose. I often wondered if it weren't  the heat and humidity that cause mine to fail. I do store mine outside in a unheated/ cooled building, but that shouldn't cause then to fail.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
I love fletch tape and have been using it for a few years now with great results in every kind of weather we get in SC.
I have been lazy and not cleaned my arrows before fletching them useing tape.... I can't say that it really makes a big difference.
Like others have said i have to rip the feathers to peices to get them off.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Yep had nothing but heartache with fletch tape.
Had all my feathers come loose on a south Texas hog hunt.  Ended using some glue one of the guys had to put a few together to hunt with.  It was warm and humid but the tape shouldn't have failed.

Had more fail later with a new roll of tape at a shoot in the summer.  After that I swore off of fletch tape.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the feedback.

Zradix, the tape was still on the feather, came loose at the shaft.

So too summarize;

1. Store tape in a cool place.

2. Only shoot when outside temp. is between 30 and 60 deg. farenheit.

All is good.
Tom

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Adhesives and extreme temps don't always get along. That goes for arrows, broadheads, bows, vechicles, etc....

If everything worked good 100% of the time we wouldn't have anything to talk about.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Never had a problem!

Jason

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
I have never had issues in cold, wet or heat but I do glue down the leading and tailing ends, this probably helps alot.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Lunar-Tic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
I have hunted in the single digits here in Nebraska and have never had a problem. Wood arrows only though.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I have used the Bohning brand tape fletch since 1993 on wood, aluminum and carbon with and with out wraps..I fletch my Hunting arrows like AlligatorDonD said on the first page, run a bead of glue down the quill full length, both sides if quill allows. On my yard arrows I usually just run a bead the first 1/2 inch and last 1/2 inch and at each end. I have not hunted in Zero temps but have Hunted in Ohio for the last 6 years but it only got down to 13 degrees for a couple of hours. I do hunt the humid Florida swamps in July hot temps chasing hogs.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
I have had a problem with fletch tape on vinyl wraps but not on prepped carbon shafts. I use denatured alcohol to prep.

Once I treated some feathers with black magic to waterproof and over time the tape failed.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Been using tape for the last 17 years and the few problems I may have had with it are far outweighed by the benefits. Sprayed a dozen arrows down with Rain and Stain from Payless Shoes to water proof the feathers several years ago. Let them dry good and put them in an arrow box. When I rolled into camp I opened the box and 75% of the feathers were laying in the bottom of the box. The tape must have reacted with the silicon spray. Since then the only thing I use to water proof them is Fletch Dry powder. Never had a problem since. I've found them buried in the field behind the house after several years and you can't pull the feathers off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Like anything else man made. There can and will be flaws.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Ralph S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I've had the same problem with tape. The tape never comes off the feather, always the shaft. Doesn't matter if it's on the bare shaft or vinyl wrap. The first sets of arrows I taped lasted til I broke or lost the arrows. I think the tape is old or got to hot being in the car or sun in summer. I'll try a new roll of tape before I go back to glue. I tear drop the ends too.

Offline Ralph S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
I've had the same problem with tape. The tape never comes off the feather, always the shaft. Doesn't matter if it's on the bare shaft or vinyl wrap. The first sets of arrows I taped lasted til I broke or lost the arrows. I think the tape is old or got to hot being in the car or sun in summer. I'll try a new roll of tape before I go back to glue. I tear drop the ends too.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I'll stick (no pun intended) with Fletch-Tite glue. Been using it since the late 60's. Good stuff !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©