3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tape.... feathers falling off  (Read 1380 times)

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tape.... feathers falling off
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Only problem I ever had with tape was with an old roll.  The tape has a shelf life once it's opened.  But when using good tape over one stringer wraps, the tape sticks very well to the wraps.  After its been on the wraps for a while, it will pull pieces of the wrap off if you try to take the feathers off.  I'd say that's a pretty good bond.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
I had my first 3 dozen arrows with fletch tape work great. Hunted below freezing and over 100 in both extra high and extra low humidity. All arrows were stored in the house long term.

I did have 1 dozen that instantly fell off my aluminum shafts. I forgot to wipe them down really good with alcohol before sticking them down. I saved the feathers and re did them after preparing the shaft correctly and they are still stuck on there. I do dab front and back with Ducco.

A few months ago I setup 3 carbon test shafts and the feathers fell off. Buff Tuff requires some rubbing down with alcohol too apparently. Those feathers are still stuck on those shafts.

In my experience, when I take my time and do it right, I find the fletch tape very dependable.

Your mileage may vary.
Thom

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Never had an issue..clean the shaft well..use a few dots of glue at both ends an along the quill...can's say I've ever been out in 0 degree weather hunting with them but I've been out in plenty of nasty cold wet weather without a failure..

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
i will only use fletch tape and have pretty much sworn off glue almost a decade or so ago.

the fletch area of the shafts needs to be properly prepped, cleaned.  i use naphtha (lighter fluid).  i've gone through more than 2 dozen rolls of bohning tape with nary a problem, but i guess a batch of bad tape could exist.

you need to also properly install the tape and the feather.  if done right, and allowed to "cure" overnight, you will not be able to remove the feather's quill unless scraped off with a knife.

i also put a spot of fletch cement at either end of each fletching, for added insurance.

here's a hog killing arrow that laid in the south carolina woods for over a year - notice how the  quills (rachis) are still *firmly* stuck to the shaft.  the vanes got eaten by the elements and bugs.  it took some serious knife scraping to get them off and ready for refletching.

fletch tape video - click the image below ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
By the way Bohning says, " Avoid using alcohol to prep shafts, it can leave a residue that can inhibit adhesion".
Tom

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
I have been  using tape for a bit now, Did have a issue awhile back, hunting for a week in wet weather. I found that the feather bed was breaking down from being wet. causing the feather to fall off. The tape was still intact though. Now I seal the bed with clear lacquer . Seems to have solved the problem. I guess that's why the glue works so well,it seals the feather bed in the process.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
By the way Bohning says, " Avoid using alcohol to prep shafts, it can leave a residue that can inhibit adhesion".
That's funny I've only used denatured alcohol. I'll do a little more research before I do my next dozen! Thanks for posting this.
Thom

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Adding a dab of glue fore and aft has been a mainstay in arrow building since....well, forever.

My only issue with tape came on a dozen carbons and I used natural barred wild turkey feathers hand ground. I should have wiped the quill with acetone I think.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
I too have had excellent results with Bohning Fletch Tape. Like others, a dab of glue on the front and back, make sure to run a fingernail down the quill when putting clamp to the shaft to make sure good contact is made. I had a friend use another brand of tape, maybe Bear Paw brand, and he had less than good results. He then bought Bohning brand tape and reported no more problems.
Mark 1:17

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
yes, bohning fletch tape only.  i tried the bear paw and it was nowhere as good with adhesion as bohning.

i always clean both the shaft and quill with naphtha (lighter fluid) and have never had a problems after tape fletching many hundreds of arrows over the years.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:

Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
That's funny I've only used denatured alcohol. I'll do a little more research before I do my next dozen! Thanks for posting this.
Thom [/b]
Never had a problem with denatured alcohol or acetone, now 70% isopropyl alcohol I avoid.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline markliep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Have had a cold spell for the last week & have been shooting in -25C - cant say that any of the three glues (acrylates, urethanes or hot melt)I've tried so far will consistently hold or that the MTO arrows do any better at these temps - best I've found to date is enough hot melt to make for an ugly looking fletch seems to work best. Anyone from further North have any input? Thx -M

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
My experience with tape has been great!...I love the stuff, but I have noticed that it does work better with wraps than on bare shafts
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
I use the same method of prepping as Rob.
Can honestly say I've never had a problem with feathers coming loose or off.

Have lost a few after being shot hunting and at 3d shoots. But these have always been sheared off by an unseen vine, saw grass, or Tree. No fault of the tape.   :rolleyes:

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I mostly use a wrap for ease of refletching and I have not had a problem with Fletch tape.

It is all I have used in the last seven years or so. I rarely hunt in freezing cold but I do hunt in high heat and have had no issues.

I always use a drop of glue front and back and usually when ripping off an old feather, the quill and tape stick on the arrow while the feather rips off.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
No alcohol for cleaning? I always use that...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
I do not use it anymore. Same reason, fletch coming off after a bit. Went back to glue and have no more problems with fletch coming off. Used in on wraps and bare shafts, same result, the fletching would eventuly come loose, never had that problem with fletch tite so went back to it.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Fletch Tape is all I have used for my arrows . Prep the surface on the arrow and tape. My shooting temp varies from -20C to our warmer summer days +20c . I did have a problem once with some removing themselves from the arrows and found out is was the finish (varnish ) that I used. (Old) .  I can't get the old fletchtite so tape it is!  I repair the arrows for kids archery at the club and one of the fellows gave me a tube of Hot Stuff and he got it from Lee Valley , I have been using that for this season and works really well . But still have to prep the arrows first. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
this fletching tape seems to be a mixed bag....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by mike g:
The only issues ive had with tape was because it was old or keep somewhere that it got hot....
    I keep my tape in the fridge and it stays good....
Excellent suggestion.....my Bohning tape sits in the fridge next to my work bench.

Rob makes an excellent point regarding the Bearpaw tape....picked up a roll at a shoot and had feathers falling off all over the place.

Can't say with 100% certainty but how you store it might be important.....as with anything YMMV
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©