3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sad day: my bow is dying  (Read 721 times)

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
sad day: my bow is dying
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I was working on the design for a new set of arrows for my Toth Istvan horsebow today, but I couldn't get the numbers to work out. I called three rivers for help and the gentleman there painted a grim picture.

Here's the thing: my bow has lightened up/slackened up in the last year or so. It's not as fast nor is it hitting as hard as it used to.

Plus, it's developed a slight limb twist. I haven't tried to fix it yet, but what's the point? This is my hunting bow and it doesn't have enough OOMPH anymore.

I'm sad. I tried everything with this bow, but we just never did click perfectly. I have made some good shots with it, and killed some deer, but...it just didn't *sing*, ya know?

I built several sets of arrows for it over the years and never was happy with the arrow flight. It was pretty accurate, but who knows if that was the bow/arrows or just me compensating?

So I'm thinking of putting it on the shelf. It doesn't seem worth buying the supplies for new arrows when it no longer has enough power.

I've posted before about American bowyers, but I guess it's time to really start thinking hard about getting a new bow before fall.

I'm looking for something handmade, traditional or primitive style, 45-50" draw and I have a 25" draw. Something that can be tailored to my short draw would be ideal. It also needs to have a small or custom grip. I wear a ladies L or XL glove. At this point I would consider another horsebow, a longbow or maybe even a recurve.

Primary usage is hunting large game. Shortest bow length is preferable to get through the brush. I also do a lot of target shooting to stay in practice.

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sad day: my bow is dying
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Oops I meant 45-50# draw WEIGHT and a 25" draw. Right handed shooter.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
I would check out Hoots custom bows. Great short bows both longbow and recurve. He is a sponser here. Since you were shooting a horse bow, the recurve might be the way to go.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Are you saying 45-50#@28 and, you draw 25, or you want it to draw 45-50#@25?  

Regardless, I would think just about any short hybrid would work for you -- a Shrew, Centaur or ACS, for example.  A short recurve like a Bear Magnum would also do the trick.  All of these bows are going to feel and shoot quite a bit different from a horse bow.  

IMO,  horse bows draw extremely smoothly from beginning to end and give a lot of zip to the arrow for their poundage.  The bows I'm suggesting will have more preload, i.e., they'll feel heavier earlier in the draw.  They all will have a pistol or locator grip and be cut to center or past center.  That's a big difference from the straight grip and no arrow cut-out of a horsebow. Both features contribute to more consistent hand placement, arrow flight and accuracy though.

For what it's worth, I've never found a little extra bow length to be any trouble in moving through the woods.  In fact, I find I get hung up more with shorter bows.  Brush tends to catch in the larger space between the string and limb tip on a shorter bow because of the higher brace height.  Also, I use the longer bow to quietly part brush in front of me with very little movement, threading my way through, so to speak.

I expect you'll get lots of other recommendations as well.  Good luck in your search

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Look at the bright side - at least you get to shop for a new bow.  With all the great sponsors here at Trad Gang, the possibilities are almost endless.  Enjoy shopping!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Our 54" recurve Or 56" longbow would be perfect for you and Tracey can customize the grip to the size you need.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bow man:
Our 54" recurve Or 56" longbow would be perfect for you and Tracey can customize the grip to the size you need.
:cool:

I've shot both, great bows.   :thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

The Hill Country Cree.

It's this year's St. Judes bow model.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I've shot quite a few of Chad Francis' Lost Creek Life Enders. His longer Judge is a bit smoother at my 29.5" draw, but the fastest bow I've ever owned was a 58" Life Ender. It shot 2219's with 190gr broadheads or 200gr field points like a 60#'er.

If you can find one in the classifieds (they turn up once in a while) I'll bet you like the small grip and they are very quick. I sold a 52# 60" that was just a hair too much for me, but it would have fit your 25" draw to a "T".
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »

It's a 56" Recurve with an attitude.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
That pic of the Cree came up while I was typing. I tried one at K'zoo last year. That and the Shrew were mighty nice.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
I've shot the Hill Country Cree. That is one mighty fine bow!!!
You wouldn't be disappointed.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bow man:
I agree. Tracey makes a great, quiet, hard hitting bow.
I have a short draw as well. It is very important to get a bow that will fit. I have done well on whitetail with bows in the 54"-56" range.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
I have a like new Martin Rebel 50#s at 28" I may be willing to sell if you're interested in it.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Wow,that lil`Cree is sweet!That little horse bow that custom king sells looks good for a small price.I think they are made from Olive wood.Looked interesting.Might be an option.

Offline HenrikBP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Not cheap and not entirely "primitive", but Bob Morrison makes a very fine recurve bow. A 13" ILF riser with Size "A" Super Short Max1 limbs would make a really nice, short and very snappy bow.

I ended up ordering Size "B" Short limbs for me, but tried the Super Shorts, and even with my longer ~27" draw it drew and shot very smoothly.
Morrison 17" ILF riser w/ "long" foam core recurve limbs. 47# @ 28"
Morrison 15" metal riser w/ "Short" Max1 limbs. 45# @ 27"
Toelke Whip HS TD 58", 47# @ 28"
Martin Hatfield TD. 55# @ 28"

Offline Stringpuller#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
I'm just wondering if you kept your bow unstrung when not in use ?
Herters recurve, model Perfection?
1962, 50lb at 28"
Easton 2020 aluminum, 145 point

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
My wife has a St Joe River Bow it is a great bow for her it is 40@ 28" and it shoots smoothly and its beautiful

St. Joe River Bows

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Come to the Carolina traditional archers shoot and you can try a bunch. Mike Treadway will be there probably , cold mountain bows will be there. You can try one of my bows or my friends tall tines. I have not seen Lee Hoots at a shoot this year but he might be there. If you call him, he might can make it. The next shoot is the first Saturday in February .  Tim in Ashe county.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ncheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
My suggestion, based on experience, is bamabows.com   Nate is one of the sponsers on this site.  Excellent bows for an excellent price.  Nate is a great guy to deal with and he makes such quality longbows in D or R/D.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men
do nothing."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©