3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sad day: my bow is dying  (Read 720 times)

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sad day: my bow is dying
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Are you saying 45-50#@28 and, you draw 25, or you want it to draw 45-50#@25?  

>>>>I want it to draw 45-50# at 25".

IMO,  horse bows draw extremely smoothly from beginning to end and give a lot of zip to the arrow for their poundage.

>>>I agree - that's why I bought one and have been happy with it overall. I didn't mention it in my post, but I may just buy another horse bow. Kassai's Hunter or Grozer's Tatar Short Bow are the contenders:

http://www.horsebows.com/bows2.htm#TartarShortBow  

For what it's worth, I've never found a little extra bow length to be any trouble in moving through the woods.  

>>>>It is for me. I'm only 5'3", and I just don't want something my height to drag around. I know from experience that won't work for me. It's also a problem if I have to climb.

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
Come to the Carolina traditional archers shoot and you can try a bunch. Mike Treadway will be there probably , cold mountain bows will be there. You can try one of my bows or my friends tall tines. I have not seen Lee Hoots at a shoot this year but he might be there. If you call him, he might can make it. The next shoot is the first Saturday in February .  Tim in Ashe county.
I can't make it out in February, but maybe I can get there for the big championship shoot. Good suggestion, thank you!

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stringpuller#1:
I'm just wondering if you kept your bow unstrung when not in use ?
I did. It was also in a bow sock, stored flat, even temperature...in short, I took good care of it.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Check out Grozers biocomposite Assyrian bow if you are looking for a short horse bow. Light siyahs and radical reflex means it's fast, shock free and extremely smooth draw. There are tons of stored energy early in the draw which will perform much better for your short draw. The limbs are also not prone to twist because the strung shape being closer to a hybrid longbow than a true recurve.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
check out the two tracks ambush recurve
short and hard hitting

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Delete please
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
I think you would really like the grip on the Shrew bows but they are hard to come by now. But the bowyer is now making similar bows under the Java Man name. These bows are very light in weight and the risers almost seem delicate while still accomodating a wide range of hand sizes. And they are hand made customs. I'm a lefty and I shoot the Super Shrew in 50# @ 28"
Member NCBA

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by ncheels:
My suggestion, based on experience, is bamabows.com   Nate is one of the sponsers on this site.  Excellent bows for an excellent price.  Nate is a great guy to deal with and he makes such quality longbows in D or R/D.
Second this one. My wife got a Bama Royal Expedition for Christmas and it's short, light and very fast.  We have two of these bows now and they shoot very accurately and are more aggressive pound for pound against shorter recurves of similar weight.  Nate is top notch and will do well for you. For your money it's hard to beat a Bama.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
58" Holm-made Osprey all the way!!!  You'll be thrilled.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
The Huntress,  Something that can be tailored to my short draw would be ideal.

How would a 50 inch three piece static recurve takedown tayolerd to a 25 inch draw sound to you?
If interested email me.

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nativestranger:
Check out Grozers biocomposite Assyrian bow if you are looking for a short horse bow. Light siyahs and radical reflex means it's fast, shock free and extremely smooth draw. There are tons of stored energy early in the draw which will perform much better for your short draw. The limbs are also not prone to twist because the strung shape being closer to a hybrid longbow than a true recurve.
Wow, thanks for the tip. I would love to have a horn bow someday, and this looks like a great in between step. I'm kind of glad and also dismayed to know about this bow now...I am afraid to ask how much it costs!  ;)

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Huntress:

Originally posted by Nativestranger:
Wow, thanks for the tip. I would love to have a horn bow someday, and this looks like a great in between step. I'm kind of glad and also dismayed to know about this bow now...I am afraid to ask how much it costs!    ;)   [/b]
It is a real horn bow. Go look up grozerarchery.com and what they say about biocomposite construction. Its suppose to have the best of both horn and sinew and glass wood contruction. I paid about $300 or €250 for mine.

A video of someone shooting with one. You can really see how it performs:

Instinctive gapper.

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Look up Dean Marlow he is a fellow member. He makes a real nice selfbow very primitive and very hard hitting. Look him up . Jon

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Wouldn't be any flies on a 54" Thunderchild.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bongos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »
I can only recommend the bow I would go with and I've tried all of the following Horsebow makers:
Grozer; The horn broke in two places...
Hwarang; the string can come unstrung so you have to keep an eye on the centering at the tips
Kassai: great bow but too big for a horsebow

and kept the Saluki.. In my case a Dasmascus. my regular poundage bow 45# and the Saluki I have is 60#, yet it feel like a 50-53# pull... and yes, it zings arrows... like there is no tomorrow.. I would call and check with Lukas, he might have a lower poundage bow (40-50#) he might sale.. the wait time was 8-12 month, I have not spoke to him for a ling time tho
Hummingbird Kingfisher 48# 62"
Black Widow PSA X 53# 60"
Mon River mongoose 48# 64"
Toelke Whip Classic 48# 64"
Abbott Longbow 47# 58"
Win Win x 2

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
UPDATE: I found a Mohawk at my home bow shop, Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear in Denver. It's a 62" longbow, D-shape, 53# at 28". Bamboo limbs and bocote riser.

I still want a new horse bow that's tillered for my short draw, but this longbow shoots like BUTTAH!

Plus it was awesome to see Tom and the gang over there. Getting to buy a bow from them while visiting..even better!

I'll get some pics taken and posted here soon. There were so many great bows posted in this thread. Thanks, everyone (awfully late).  :)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
Do be careful of Grover, an autopsy of one of their "horn bows" found wood screws, epoxy and huge glue joints.  There was nothing traditional or safe about its construction.

http://198.170.107.188/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2689

You can view the original document there, and the pictures are eye opening to say the least.

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Aww man, that is sad news, halfseminole. I was really considering one of their horse bows. Not a horn one, though.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Helen has a 58" 47# @ 25" Checkmate "longhorn" she wants to sell. It has yew under clear glass and action lams, with Chechen in riser. Its a bow based off of a Turkish design.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I have around the same draw length as you and my fastest bows are the Korean Hwarang bows.
They are also easy to shoot if you have halfway decent form and hold them with the correct grip.
If you have a Toth bow so far, you will find that the Toth bow is shooting your arrow as slow  as molassed compared to a Korean bow. And this is normal because of the massive Siyahs/leather coverage they have.
Now, I don't know exactly what kind of poundage you want, but if you want a certain poundage @ your 25" draw, you have to study force draw curves of these bows to get where you want to be.
Example:
 http://www.aixbow.de/shop/images/diagramme/kaya/HEE0060M55.pdf
If you're used to "horse bows", then a regular bow will most likely not suit you. Too heavy in the riser. I think a regular bow will be at least 10-15 fps slower than a comparable Korean at your draw length. The KAYA KTB is 48" and around $275 brand new.
My 9 year old protégé won the Cub Class with the KAYA at the IBO Trad World and was only shooting this bow for 2 days before the shoot.
His bow is 45#@30" and he draws it to his ear, which is about 25" draw. It zips a 400 grain arrow with authority and will go whitetail hunting this fall.
I also traded a few weeks ago one of my longbows for a Hwarang with 55#@30". I only shot it once. Too light in draw weight for me. I may let it go if I get a fair offer. As to the allegation, that the Hwarang can loose its string. This is only possible if you did not string the bow using the traditional step through technique, but use a regular stringer and twist the limbs.
Unless the bow is completely out of alignment, with its design this is nearly impossible.
I also build Korean style bows by myself for fun and there is hardly any point that could be improved in the design.
I also have a Grozer Indo-Persion full Horn composite. This bow does not have screws in it, but it is not for the beginner and definitely not very fast with a short draw.
It is no wonder that Mohawk D-bows draws like butter, because you draw it short and it has no pre-load in the limbs. This will cost you around 15fps or more in the arrow speed department using the same gpp. I think 62" is way too long for your draw length.
I also use my Hwarang for deer hunting from a treestand or groundblind. Beats any longbow/recurve hands down in maneuverability.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©