3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to prep for a hunt  (Read 228 times)

Offline blakeschack5466

• Trad Bowhunter
how to prep for a hunt
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
My brother in law and i are planning on going on our first deer hunt next august. We are planning on backpacking in to california's B2 zone.

What should we be doing to prepare for this hunt? How much and when should we scout?

thanks

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to prep for a hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
I would get as many maps,arial photos as possible,and get recent weather data for the past three years for that area during the time you will be there.

get all the essential gear you will need,check it twice and as you get closer to the departure date check it again. Make sure its in good working order.

Talk to local who may have hunted it before, they are a great source of info.
  Have an emergency plan that you and him know that covers all possible emergencies. Leave a mapped route of the areas you will be going to with someone who you may check in with, and leave a date of entry and return with them so they know the itinerary.

Exercise and make sure your food and water resources are good and available. and have fun.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
First thing I would do is edit your post to get rid of where your going.  Only speak in general locations, unless you would like a bunch of other people who cherry pick websites for good hunting spots to be camped next to you.

Contact the USGS, and get all the topo maps of the area you plan on hunting, call the wildlife biologist for that area, tell them what your wanting to do and hunt.  Call the game warden for that area for the same thing.  They are there to help, and in general are really nice guys/gals.  When you cal them, have all your questions written down.  Nothing worse then a bunch of "um's and ah's".  Best way to put it is you are preparing for an interview, and want to be the one they choose.  

Get in as good a shape as you think you can, then do more.  It will only improve your hunt.  

Enjoy the experience, because to me, this is the fun part of thehunt.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
First thing I would do is edit your post to get rid of where your going.  Only speak in general locations, unless you would like a bunch of other people who cherry pick websites for good hunting spots to be camped next to you.

x2

The first thing I thought when I saw your post was, "Not good to post locations in a forum like this."  

The second thing I thought was, "I ought to check a map and see how good that spot looks..."
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
There are state forums here and else where that would be good to post on too
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
find water sources via a map recon.  My time in both southern a nd northern CA was made successful by working water sources.  
Work out-if you hunt the ridges do stairs
get good glass-learn to use it
we try to out distance others-blessing and a curse.
locate quad trails-use them to your advantage
patience pays
practice shooting in narrow lanes so you are confident at threading arrows thru brushy lanes
go hunt jacks there so you get to know the place well-so you can get above others at dawn-let them work for you
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©