3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Woodman's Pal........  (Read 456 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Woodman's Pal........
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
When out and about building ground blinds or clearing shooting lanes does anyone use the Woodsman's Pal? It's a machete like tool with a hook thing on the end. Looks like it might be a good thing to have when out looking for good spots to set up a blind or ambush point. Any thoughts?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Woodman's Pal........
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
I have one.  Works great.  Not sure what use the hook is but looks cool.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
I carry a blind horse machete or a KA-Bar full size fighting knife. The machete is great for big chores and the knife is easy to carry and will handle a lot of work

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
It is one of my favorite tools.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
I have one the leather grip started to unravel the 1st week of clearing my lot, I think there isva better tool out there, and I can't keep a edge on it, maybe some suggestions.

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I've wanted to buy one for years... just havent got around to it yet... maybe this summer.  My main concern is that the steel holds up and doesnt chip.  I do a lot of pine forest thinning work and I have heard of some machetes not holding up to pine - they chip.

JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
I had the same thought, Ron, I think a good machete would be just the ticket for such things.The machete with the hooked end is the sasquatch model. It's for gutting big foot.   :biglaugh:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
I use a Gerber Gator Brush Thinner.  It has a more subtle hook on the main cutting blade.  It has a thick blade, but is still fairly compact and light to carry.  I have it with me in my truck at all times.  Love it!  Makes short work of brush and fairly large branches and small trees.  The hook helps keep the blade from slipping off on impact and in pulling branches to you that are just or of reach.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
I think the hook is sorta like a brush hook.  We use them for clearing lines surveying they work well but i love a sharp machete.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I carry a small Gerber folding saw and a pruner in my quiver when I stump shoot just in case I see a good spot for a blind or ambush point. I thought a Pal may be a bit more heavy duty than a Machete and a bit more handy. Thanks for the input!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
Hello Ron, I have a number of these. I keep one in the truck, a couple at the farm and one at home. Nothing like being prepared. The hook has been used for pulling out branches after being cut. Save on the cuts and scratches. I carry the ones at the farm when out barry picking, pruning trees to clear a path or taking smaller branches of the less desirable trees. I use my folding saw for pruning the good trees.
Hope all is well out there.
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Hi Chuck.....your son keeps the old timer active...lol!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Great tool. I actually did a review on them on my website. Not being persnickity, but it's actuallu WOODMANS tool, not WOODSMANS tool. When I did my review they actually called me and corrected me.

Awesome tool, I use it all the time, keep one in my truck.

Product Review…..The Woodman’s Pal
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Roger, I read your review and it appears I need one of these tools.....lol!

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Ron, I,ve got  a Gerber full size machete & it works great for ground blinds & shooting lanes. I use it at Rakawanna for clearing brush behind targets in the spring work party. Faster than hand pruners or saws & pretty cheap too (around $20.00 I think)The only drawback to using something like this is that thrashing brush & limbs sometimes gets you a few ticks for company.(Just spray your clothes with permetherne prior to your attack)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
I have a full size machete, I would like something with a bit more mass. I'm thinking that the Pal may be the ticket!

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I have an antique sugar cane knife that I want to refinish/rehandle.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Great tool Cuts like a hatchet great for clearing bursh or making a ground blind. You can take the ribs off a carcus pretty quick with one.
Too short to be a substitute for a machete. rides easy on your belt or in a pack. Real good in a fight.
Chuck

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Got one for Christmas from the wife, have yet to use it though. I'll check back after use.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Use mind for making kindling when up north Moose hunting,can actualy split firewood with it.Only need one in a lifetime.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©