3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aggressive R/D hybrid longbow appreciation thread  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aggressive R/D hybrid longbow appreciation thread
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I know what you mean and I agree but for the ease of classification anything that is not straight hill style and anything that does not fit in Rob's thread can be considered aggressive. Otherwise we run into the problem of creating too many categories and it's really confusing.
Instinctive gapper.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Did I miss it, I didn't see any A&H 3pc and 1pc.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Chromebuck:

What are others interpretation of aggressive?

:readit:     :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Wow, just when I thought this thread was dead...
I actually think the conversation about the classification of bows is quite interesting even though it is arbitrary for the most part.

I notice one of the guys I shoot with always seemed to call my Toelke Whip a "recurve"...too many times for it to be an accident. Apparently, he was unwilling to accept that mild R/D bow as a longbow. When I beat him in the longbow class at the end of the season he still was calling it a recurve...what gives?

I don't really care about what class I'm in at a shoot. I just want to shoot sweet bows that are fast, quiet, and stable. The more different ones I can try the better.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:

quote:
Originally posted by Chromebuck:

What are others interpretation of aggressive?

:readit:       :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nativestranger:

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
Sixby,

FITA rules say that when a bow is not D-shaped, it is a recurve. In the past it was the string not touching the limbs. That is also the reason why some bowyers make socalled "cheater bows": heavily reflexed, but limb shape in such a way that you still have a D-form when strung. When I shoot competition tournaments over here, My Cari-bow Peregrine is in the recurve class. But I must say, it gives me more satisfaction to beat the guys in the recurve class with their carbon arra's (I shoot wood) then my fellow longbowers     :)    
Caribow Peregrine in recurve class? That's ridiculous. While speed monsters like whippenstick and 21st century goes undetected and matches up against hill style or string follow bows. The rules need some tweaking as I see it. [/b]
It is ridiculous indeed. I shoot wooden arrows and a hybrid. But since the peregrine is not 100% D-shape, the organisations put me in the recurve-class. At the Dutch national championship, every bow was measured with a thin rope over the limbs. If the rope didn't stay in contact with the limbs  all the way, they put you in the recurve class.
Due to this rule, some people even sell there hybrids, because they want to stay in the longbow class.
They blindly follow IFAA rules. But it is stupid when you think it over. The same bow, but a little bit more reflex; and suddenly you are in the recurve class.
I would say the string not touching the limbs is a better rule. Maybe we should start a new topic about this........
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2013, 01:35:00 AM »
Anyhow, in order to make this thread longer, here you see two pics of the profile of a Cari-bow Peregrine. First is unstrung; second is strung:

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
And I sure do like the grip! Thumbstud for a great handposition and Abe's bevertails are second to none!

Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
And lets not forget the antler options: antler riser and tips...

Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
And all this times two can make a man very happy  :)

Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2013, 03:22:00 AM »

Originally posted by Nativestranger:

Sixby,

FITA rules say that when a bow is not D-shaped, it is a recurve. In the past it was the string not touching the limbs. That is also the reason why some bowyers make socalled "cheater bows": heavily reflexed, but limb shape in such a way that you still have a D-form when strung. When I shoot competition tournaments over here, My Cari-bow Peregrine is in the recurve class. But I must say, it gives me more satisfaction to beat the guys in the recurve class with their carbon arra's (I shoot wood) then my fellow longbowers      :)    
Caribow Peregrine in recurve class? That's ridiculous. While speed monsters like whippenstick and 21st century goes undetected and matches up against hill style or string follow bows. The rules need some tweaking as I see it. [/b]
It is ridiculous indeed. I shoot wooden arrows and a hybrid. But since the peregrine is not 100% D-shape, the organisations put me in the recurve-class. At the Dutch national championship, every bow was measured with a thin rope over the limbs. If the rope didn't stay in contact with the limbs  all the way, they put you in the recurve class.
Due to this rule, some people even sell there hybrids, because they want to stay in the longbow class.
They blindly follow IFAA rules. But it is stupid when you think it over. The same bow, but a little bit more reflex; and suddenly you are in the recurve class.
I would say the string not touching the limbs is a better rule. Maybe we should start a new topic about this........ [/b]
Lol so bows like the Bodnik quick stick and Black widow with straight limbs when braced are allowed in longbow class? I am also aware there some bows that will change this profile depending on brace height.

Do you compete against traditional recurves or metal riser ones as well?  How do you fare shooting the Peregrine against them?

In my country all traditional bows are grouped under the same class. So we have self bows, Asian horse bows and metal riser + foam carbon limbs recurves competing together.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
X2 on the Black Canyon. Love mine. Grip is perfect, extremely quiet...I mean quiet, smooth and no hand shock, very good speed. This is the first bow I have ever owned that I would not change one single thing. Most bows I can find a little something that is not just perfect about the bow but not this one.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Jimmy,

the Bodnik quick stik falls into the recurve class and the BW PL in the Longbow class. According to those silly FITAA rules...

Yes I compete against metal risers as well, like Hoyt gamemasters.
And yes, I fare well shooting against them. Last year I became even first on one tournament. They weren't even close. That feels sooooo good!

Most of the time I am in the top-10. Sometimes 2nd or 3th, sometimes 9th or 10th and everything between, all this with wooden arrows, while THEY shoot carbon.

At the official Dutch National Championship I became 12th in that class, exactly 1 point under number 11. In the Longbowclass I would have become 5th.
I could have done better, but the MS was already knocking at the door and I had to pull it out of my toes. The terrain was very rough, like a wild forrest and swamps and it was two full days.
The second day I was really exhausted. It was since then that I got a bad stroke from MS with paralysations, but I recovered. I am shooting again since a week or two.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Jimmy,

Yes I compete against metal risers as well, like Hoyt gamemasters.
And yes, I fare well shooting against them. Last year I became even first on one tournament. They weren't even close. That feels sooooo good!

Most of the time I am in the top-10. Sometimes 2nd or 3th, sometimes 9th or 10th and everything between, all this with wooden arrows, while THEY shoot carbon.

At the official Dutch National Championship I became 12th in that class, exactly 1 point under number 11. In the Longbowclass I would have become 5th.
I could have done better, but the MS was already knocking at the door and I had to pull it out of my toes. The terrain was very rough, like a wild forrest and swamps and it was two full days.
The second day I was really exhausted. It was since then that I got a bad stroke from MS with paralysations, but I recovered. I am shooting again since a week or two.
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Way to go!!!  Great shooting.  I believe a great archer can do well with any bow but I do like your choice - Cari-bow.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
When you live in Canada, you'd better like Cari-bow! And Abe is a great guy.

But I like them a lot, for me it are the best hybrids out there. I prefer the Peregrine over a Centaur or Whippenstick hybrid longbow. But that is a personal matter ofcourse. I would say that the craftmanship of both bowyers is on the same high level. And also Ken is a great guy to deal with and gives an unbelievable customer service.

But I DO like the Whippenstick Phoenix. I just might prefer that 3pce recurve over my Peregrines. It shoots even faster and is even more silent. But I have to shoot that bow more to see what gives the best result.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Those cari-bows look pretty nice!
Keep up the good work competing in those shoots. Forget the silly rules...

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
AGGRESSIVE R/D:

Black Creek Banshee

Dwyer Endeavor

Thunderchild

Regular R/D:

Silvertip

Pronghorn

Eaglewing

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Okay, now you guys have gone too far.  A few years ago I would have thought that these hybrids were too sensitive to make a good hunting bow. But I was told I was wrong and my wife liked bows that had a lower grip. So I got a custom short draw, 26", NAT for my wife. Not only was it not sensitive, it was also faster with the same arrow at same draw length as a reflexed 64" Hill style bow that was 15 pounds stiffer.  So instead of getting one for myself, I came upon a really nice Grooves Spitfire and declared that to be my lighter draw speedy bow.  Dang it all, I want that hybrid more than ever now and once again there are too many choices.  I want to be able to sit flat on my butt pad lean against a tree and have ground clearance and still have a stable bow.  I notice that the NAT is not in the Lost Creek line up and maybe I should get something different anyway.  What do you all think is the best 54" hybrid at a 26" draw for a Hill shooting style shooter?

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Welcome, convert!   :)  Your sins from the past are forgiven   :readit:  

For such a short lenght I would put my money on a Big Jim  54" Thunderchild and talk with Jim about the grip, since you are a Hill-shooter.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
I added that for left hand, I have a 26" draw, I have to shoot with my stance a bit open because of a neck thing, so it shortens my draw a bit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©