3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aggressive R/D hybrid longbow appreciation thread  (Read 3652 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aggressive R/D hybrid longbow appreciation thread
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Cari-Bow Slynx. One of the very few longbows I can shoot almost as well as my recurves.

Not my bow but shows the profile

"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Wild Horse Creek Kestrel

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I love my Randy Morin Banshee. 60" 53@29. Its super quiet and smokes an arrow.

Originally posted by Pon:
Treadway Black Swamp!I used to have one but don't have good pics

Another one I like the looks of is the Dwyer Endeavour, can someone tell me how do they shoot?
I have shot my buddy's a couple of times. It shoots really fast and there is no hand shock. Also I have never seen such cool looking limb tips, and the Dwyer grip is one of my all time favorites.

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowhunter4life:
The Thunderstick MOAB... I don't have a good profile pic at this point but the limbs have static tips without the string touching the belly.  Great shooters!  Also the Big Jim Thunderchild, another great short hybrid longbow...
X2
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Top to Bottom:
62" Thunderstick III
62" MOAB
58" Mag

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Over & Under,
I think what Bowhunter4life is referring to is the last 8" or so of the limbs of the MOAB have a fairly pronounced turn toward the back of the bow similar to a static tip recurve limb turn (but not nearly as pronounced).
Look at RM81's photo above.  A close look at the MOAB in the middle and you can just make it out.
I'm not aware of any other RD Longbow that has this (doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I haven't fooled with one).
Personally, and I'm no bowyer, but I believe this is what gives the MOAB design a little bit more performance in the speed and smooth draw departments.
Someone with more knowledge than I have about limb design might be able to provide more information.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Eaglewings both have static tip d and rs and non static depending on the build. Its not unique to any one bowyer but it is a really great feature when used in the right design. You can even build a static tip into a string follow design. It increases draw length and places the sweet spot where you want it to be. Again when incorporated into a specific design or for a specific purpose.  

God bless you all, Steve

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Thanks Steve!
Ken Adkins

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I have not seen limb twist but I have seen limbs fade to one side or the other.
John

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
Sasquatch and Eaglewings both have static tip d and rs. Its not unique to any one bowyer but it is a really great feature when used in the right design. You can even build a static tip into a string follow design. It increases draw length and places the sweet spot where you want it to be. Again when incorporated into a specific design or for a specific purpose.

God bless you all, Steve
By static tip do you mean stiff outer limbs that retain their shape when strung and drawn?  I have seen quite a few bows like this. Does it improve the stored energy and efficiency?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
As our technical advisor Rob D. has so eloquently pointed out in previous posts.  R/D is an accepted colloquialism that really does not truelly relflect the shape of a hybrid bow from riser to limb tip, but none the less is the accepted description.  A true hybrid actually deflexes out of the riser and reflexes mid-limb through the tip.  

When I think of aggressive versions of this style undoubtably the Thunderchild comes to mind and right there with it is the Liberty Edge by Allen Boice.  Both fine bowyers with great products.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
omega longbow, priced great and are so fast

Hunter bows are awesome shooters as well and hitmans are sick as well.  heres a picture of both side by side (hitman on left and hunterbow on right)

- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
My hybrid "Legend of the Forest" fast and accurate.

"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
I don't have a good pic..but this is a 66" bow I built. It was built using a 64" form I made using a 62/64 template I got from kennym.    

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Here's a couple pics of my beloved Kanati.

Love R/D longbows!
Jason

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Native, I deleted Sasquatch for a reason. That is because upon reflection I did not think it right to speak for another bowyer, even my best friend.
To answer your question about the static tips , there are at least two ways and a combination of the two to make any limb a static. you can do it by geometry, by tip wedge , wood, glass , or carbon. or a combination of geometry and wedge/
I suspect that the gentleman that brought this into the conversation is saying that the static is created by geometry. In a D and R limb that would actually make the bow limb a semi static as the tip will eventually bend toward the very end of the draw/ This is true even of a super radical reflex. The only way to make it a true static tip would be to use the combination.

As to whether it improves performance , That would depend entirely on the bowyer and the balance of the entire bow design. If it were just as simple as throwing in tip wedges and making sharp bends in the limb then everyone would do it. To get it performing right takes a lot of r and d and a lot of time and money. Once a bowyer gets that done he kind of tends to keep the results to himself.

God bless and hope this helps. Steve

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Robertfishes:
I don't have a good pic..but this is a 66" bow I built. It was built using a 64" form I made using a 62/64 template I got from kennym.
Gawd she's a looker. Great job! Wish I had the skills to build one.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Jk Kanati..... nuff said !!
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. The "static" portion of the MOAB can be pretty easily seen here.
The MOAB limb is on the top.  Toelke Whip in the middle.  Big Jim Thunderchild on bottom.

Here the MOAB is by itself.  About 6-8" back from the tip you can see the exaggerated turn toward the back.

A look at the Thunderchild shows a generalize sweep toward the back of the bow.

The Toelke Whip is a little less radical in this aspect.

All 3 are fantastic bows, that I will not soon part with.  Each has its place.
Ken Adkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©