3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody else's first time?  (Read 506 times)

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody else's first time?
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
This will actually be my third season to hunt, but it's going to be my first with just the bow. I took it with me last year and sat in the stand with it, but I wasn't confident enough to take any shots - so I'm not counting that as hunting... I did draw down on a coyote about 15 yards out while I was on the ground. That really gave me a confidence boost to get so close to one of those guys. I let him go though, kinda regret it now, they're KOS 'round these parts. This year (with deer season only 31 days out), I'm itching to get my first kill. I did get a nice cottonmouth through the head who was after my skittish friend at a 3D shoot earlier this year, but I ain't countin' that either. Anywho, I thought I'd get this started so all us fish could maybe get some mojo stirring. Everyone chime in!
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody else's first time?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
Well, every time FEELS like the first time !
  :bigsmyl:  
ChuckC

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
This will be my first year hunting entirely. I plan on just using the bow unless I decide to go duck hunting. Should be an interesting season. Good Luck!

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
This is my first year hunting bow. I can't wait!
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
First Trad year...well it will be a full year in Oct. Im looking forward to getting something other than rabbits....although that is in itself a challenge.
Should be interesting to say the least...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
32 yrs bowhunting, 1st 3 yrs with a recurve and elevated rest, the rest with compounds with fingers, 1st year with longbow. Little nervous but really excited.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
This will be my 17th season bowhunting, but my first with a recurve/longbow. CAN'T WAIT!!!
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
it will be my first season hunting with a bow this year
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:24:00 AM »
Hey all,

My son Griffin, age 7 and I got involved in Trad archery last Jan.  It just seemed the natural progression to take the bow to the woods.  Griffin will be setting out the first few hunts.  At least until it gets cooler.  I am starting with a climbing tree stand.  If Griffin wants to join me then I guess we will need a Blind and a Camera for the boy.  

Will let ya know how it works out,

Brian Gillispie
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »
3rd year hunting with my longbow, but hoping for my first Buck with it...

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
33 years for me, 8th with my long bow, good luck to you all, its a blast.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
This will be my second season hunting period.  My first large game kill ever was with my recurve the second weekend of the season.  It was a small yearling doe but it got me in the game and was fantastically tender.  This year I will be more selective and not shoot the first one that walks by.

We just got a heavy batch of rain that brought some cold air with it here in PA and I'm itchy to be back in the woods.  I go into the basement every day and look over my arrows and heads to make sure they are ready.

I also just got a friend setup with trad gear, helped him tune and build his arrows and got him practicing.  He has shot a compound for years but my goal is to get him his first trad kill.

Good luck to all and remember what a blessing it is to just be in the woods.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
I too have a friend that I helped convert from training wheels to trad archery. This will be his first year hunting also. We're both shooting for our first kills at all (trad or otherwise), and the anticipation of it being trad kills is awsome.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I have Bow hunted before (wheels). This will be my first year hunting with a recurve, I'm looking forward to it .

Mike  :campfire:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
october 1 (or the wunth of O) I will be sneaking through the public woods in South-Central Kansas getting busted by deer long before I see them, BUT if there is one out there who desires to donate their body to my idea of science I will take a shot.  This is my forst season with a bow and I can't wait to learn and feel like a kid again.
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
This is my first season hunting for anything other than using bugs on a string.  I am pumped and will be sarting my scouting this weekend.  got a three day trip planned in a couple weeks.  Hope to have some pics when I get back.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Wait for the short shots and let it rip!

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
this will be my fourth year hunting and my third with a longbow was not fortunate last year deer but my first year I had a little yearling.  I also shot two pigs with my longbow one this year and 1 last
St. Joe River Bows

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
This will be my first season in 12 years. I just back into Archery last spring and did not go last season. The few times I bowhunted before I never got a shot off. I have got one doe with a 300 Win mag when I was stationed in South Dakota. It was kind of anticlimactic. I'll feel a much greater sense of accomplishment using my HH Big Five this year.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©