3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BCY D97 Flemish Twist question  (Read 382 times)

Offline Bongos

• Trad Bowhunter
BCY D97 Flemish Twist question
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
I started making my own string with D97, I really love the string material.. most of my recurve bows range from 40#-55#.  After much research here and other sites, I decided to make 8 strand strings with padding (12 strands on the end loops).. well, I just got of the phone with Hummingbird Bows because I had a question on the brace height for his Kingfisher.. we ended up talking about number of strands and he recommends 12 to 14 strands for his bow, this is for my 48# recurve...  I made one but your thoughts and comments are appreciated as I've made a couple of 8 strand strings already for my other 45# bows.. are these safe to shoot?
Hummingbird Kingfisher 48# 62"
Black Widow PSA X 53# 60"
Mon River mongoose 48# 64"
Toelke Whip Classic 48# 64"
Abbott Longbow 47# 58"
Win Win x 2

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: BCY D97 Flemish Twist question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Safe.  Probably.  It scares me to look at anything under 10 strands.  I generally build 12 strand D-97 strings, padded to 16 in the loops, for my 50-55# plus bows.  Probably more than I need, but I don't see a worthwhile advantage to going lower than that.  Even at 8 strands, I'd recommend padding the loops to 14 to 16 strands.

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I usually make mine 14 strand for my 55# BW PLAX.  If I make them less, then I have to build up the serving to have a snug fit at the arrow knock.

Offline Bongos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with Black Widow and they said all of their bows use D97 and 14 strands.. no padding..
Thanks Gents for your comments, please keep it coming as I am absorbing it like a sponge...
 I've taken all of my 8 strand strings and put them away lowere poundage bows..(30#-35#).. guess I got some strings to make
Abbott Longbow 47# 58"
Win Win x 2

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
I have made either 8125 or D10 strings for 6  bows.  The bows are all 66" and either Hill or R/D style 48 to 60 lbs. All the strings I have made for these bows are 8 strand with loops padded to 16.  At least three of the bows have thousands of shots without one problem.  I did have one 44 lb. bow that I made a 6 strand for and it too worked fine.  If you look at the strength of the individual strands, 8 strands are plenty strong for your bows.  Also, look at the custom string makers and what they are offering. If I'm not mistaken, Pierre @ Silent But Deadly offers 6 or 8 strand strings.  The only issue I have had with skinny strings is getting the proper nock fit - beyond that, I love them.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
Sorry to get a bit off topic but i have been dwelling on making my own string for my ron pittsley predator classic 60# bow. Can somone point me in the direction to make my own d97 strings, and reccomendation for my bow and poundage? i have tried the search but i dig myself a hole and i get lost honestly. Sorry again, and thanks for the help in advance.
The Fishburglar

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I make a 8 strand D97 for my bows under 55#,a 12 strand D97 is strong enough for upto a 100# bow.I shot a 12 strand D97 on my 73# 21st Century and a 83# Bamboo longhunter I had.

Offline Bongos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
This is the jig I built, the drawings of this jis is located here in Tradgang (you have ot look in the archives).  The pegs are AMO lengh of the bow, not the lenght of the string

There are great pointers from this one as well

Abbott Longbow 47# 58"
Win Win x 2

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
THANK YOU!
The Fishburglar

Offline Bongos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
You are welcome, total cost of Jig buying components (wood, nails) from Home Depot about $9

Initially I bought B50 dacron but have since migrated to D97 (apparently one of the best strings for recurves)as a beginner,D97 is inexpensive compared to others and D97 string come up often in the Classifieds here at a discount. I'll just save the dacron for older bows... Good Luck
Abbott Longbow 47# 58"
Win Win x 2

Offline KRW2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
hemp or irish linen make nice strings as well, just made an 8 strand string for my daughters bow , an ash board bow 50 ntn , pulling in the thirties im guessing, got 20# or 30# hemp cord from the craft store,her store bought long bow25# came with an 8 strand looks like d97

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
Ive shot 8 strands on 60 - 70 pound bows for the past two years without a problems, 6 strands on lighter bows.  Build the loops and center area up with extra strands to distribute the force and so nocks fit.
Dan Brockman

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
The only negative about an 8 strand D97 string is that they will continue to stretch. I much prefer to use 10 strands with D97. If you want a skinny string, you will be better off using Ultra Cam or XS2 (I use 10 strands of XS2 because it's a thinner strand material)

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
for building the loops can you just wrap the loops with yarn? for example like the hush puppies?
The Fishburglar

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
I shoot 8 strands of D97 on bows up to and little over 55#.  The longbow strings seem to creep very little.  The recurve seems to creep a lot more.  Maybe it is a matter of preload on the limbs, I am not sure.  

Fishburglar, I would use D97 or dacron to build up the loops.  You are protecting your limb tips by building up the size of the string.  Yarn may not be stout enough.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
My preferred material for "skinny" strings is 8190.  Small strands, so you don't have to go low in strand count to get a small diameter string, and very strong.  14-18 strands is still a small diameter string.  452X and Trophy are also good--small diameter strands, very low stretch/creep.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fishburglar:
Sorry to get a bit off topic but i have been dwelling on making my own string for my ron pittsley predator classic 60# bow. Can somone point me in the direction to make my own d97 strings, and reccomendation for my bow and poundage? i have tried the search but i dig myself a hole and i get lost honestly. Sorry again, and thanks for the help in advance.
That's the bows I shoot, using D97 with carbon I use 16 strands and crown .026 serving. With wood I use 14 strand and .025 braided or .030 braided. I like to pad to 16 with the 14 strand but rarely do it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I'd go with 12 strands, loops padded to 16-18, with .025 62XS or .024 Halo for center serving.

for building the loops can you just wrap the loops with yarn? for example like the hush puppies?  
No.  Padding the loops is quick and simple.

We have a couple of videos out that covers making a string start to finish, including padding the loops:  "Doin' the Twist" and "How to Build a Great Bowstring".

DTT focuses mainly on Flemish strings, but covers building an endless.  It also contains plans for making a string board and string stretching jig.

BGB covers flemish, but also goes into more detail with endless.  The camera work is better with BGB.

They both contain information and instruction not found in the other, but both cover making strings start to finish.  No shortcuts, nothing left out, no mystique or smoke and mirrors.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I LOVE THIS SITE! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH. I JUST WANT O MAKE MY OWN STRINGS AS I WANT TO EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT STRANDS AND SILENCERS. PLUS SOMETHING TO ADD TO MY KNOWLEDGE. FOR MY PREDATOR I KNOW IT CAME WITH A D97 BUT IS THERE A MATERIAL BETTER RECOMMENDED FOR PREDATOR RECURVE?
The Fishburglar

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by rraming:

Originally posted by Fishburglar:
That's the bows I shoot, using D97 with carbon I use 16 strands and crown .026 serving. With wood I use 14 strand and .025 braided or .030 braided. I like to pad to 16 with the 14 strand but rarely do it. [/b]
WHY WOULD YOU USE MORE STRANDS WITH CARBON AND LESS WITH WOOD? I WOULD EXPECT IT TO GO THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
The Fishburglar

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©