3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My greatest discovery.Read if you shoot woodies  (Read 686 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My greatest discovery.Read if you shoot woodies
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
I would not call it perfect.  Works- yes, but not the correct way to fix it.  I suppose a guy could add 1000gr. to the front of his arrow, or even learn to shoot drawing the bow to his ear- those remedies would all make it work "perfect"- but they are not the best answer.  You have just set yourself up with new difficulties.  

Get some different arrows with weaker spine, an inch or so over your draw and you would have a FAR  better hunting arrow.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I agree that the arrows are probably spined closer to optimum.

I do not agree that a shorter arrow that is also spined correctly is better.

It may have a flatter trajectory, but the longer arrow will have more mass. We all know that is debatable from know on.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
To KSdan:I have many more arrows other than those 32" ash shafts.From Easton full metal 340 and 400,to fir arrows,cedar,..,in all sorts of spines.What they all have in common they are cut between 28.5 " and 29.5".And as I said I am not a half bad shooter with those,up to 20 yards.I will continue this experiment with full lenghth wood shafts with other spines and field points(once I have the money to buy some raw shafts and feathers) and keep you posted.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Sure.  Its your set-up.  Sounds like you have many options.

Its not the length of the arrow that has helped you though- it is the fact that you weakened the spine. Besides adding a variable you can not adjust- both overall wt. and FOC are affected- and not necessarily for the positive.  Further- you will find that longer woodies do have some limitations; the spine weakens quicker after shooting them a while, the "window" needed through the brush is taller than with a shorter arrow (You will find your nock end hitting the "ceiling"), wind will affect the longer shaft more, and 4-6" of extra arrow means that much more vibration and maneuvering.  

Hey- its your set-up.  Good shooting and hunting.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Just read an article in the latest traditional bowhunter mag that talks about the author's belief that longer shafts are more forgiving. This morning in fact.  If you haven't already, check it out.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Longer shafts also get to the deer faster than shorter ones, giving the deer 2" less time to react.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Ditto with Guru.....paper tune em' for length or bareshaft em....they'll tell u when you are ther...but glad it worked for you...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
I shot short arrows with an overdraw when I shot compound. Those short arrows can easily change direction, or go off course. I think the craziest thing I noticed was shooting a deer quartering away at 15yds and hitting him in the bottom of the spine, dropping him right there. Somehow that short arrow entered right, but the tail end went down and the point went up and into the spine. I also wasnt as accurate at long distances with those short arrows. Now that I shoot trad, I leave all my shafts full length and tune by point weight. I draw 29.75", so Im not typically giving up much. Also it sure gets old seeing arrows on the classifieds that are cut to 26" or something short like that. Plus if you snap off a point, that arrow can be retapered and still clear your hand.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©