3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your backup bow  (Read 698 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Your backup bow
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Like many, I have a goto bow.  But I started wondering about backup bows.  If you subscribe to the "if it can go wrong it will go wrong on a trip away from home theory" I'll bet you do.
What I'm wondering is whether your backup to your main hunting bow is exactly the same, a little different (maybe a pound or two more or less draw), or maybe even drastically different.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your backup bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Mine is 4 inches longer and a pound lighter in draw weight.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Don't have one... my Schulz is all I got
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I have 4 bows that I shoot about the same, so any can backup the others.

I truly enjoy the Big Jim take down system, it makes packing 2 bows a charm

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
I have 3 64" 50# ACS CX, if I'm traveling I just bring extra limbs.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
The problem with backup bows is you buy one and it shoots great. So, you buy another and another and   well you know the story.... I keep everything at 52lbs 60" -62" so they all use the same arrows and shoot to the same point of impact.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
I have a few that are all around the same poundage, one of my favorites is a Zipper with 2 sets if limbs, both very close in weight.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
I have several ACSs as well.  Always take two complete bows on out of state trips. Same configuration, about 2# weight difference.  They pack small. Doesn't make any difference which one I pull out of the case. They shoot the same.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
I've got two that shoot (ABOUT) the same.  So close that 'they' drive me crazy    :knothead:   trying to figure out which is the go to and which is the back up...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
If I had a wife for every "back-up bow" I own, I'd be Solomon!!!!
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
So far I've refrained from the backups..did it with guns and all but about 3 just collected dust.

I do have another recurve other than my Sasquatch, a Quinn Stallion. It's about 7# lighter and same length..64".

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
my 72# Brackenbury is my all around back up but once I get my new Stealth I'll be alternating between hunting with my two Stealths so the one not in use will be my back up.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Varies somewhat.  I make sure the back-up shoots whatever arrows I have for the primary accurately and with good flight.  I currently have the luxury of two bows of the same model & manufacturer only a pound apart but enough years between them that there are notable differences.  But they shoot similarly enough.

For many years my back-up bow was a Bear Kodiak Hunter because it was rugged and reliable.  

I also have a practice of hunting with a bow and then often choosing a different one for the next season.  Though I have favorires that tend to come up in the rotation more regularly.  I never change within four months of the opener or then until the end of the season.  Obviously the prior year's bow makes a good back-up.  Keeps the stock circulating.   ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
My bows shoot all about the same and I have three, that will do!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
My main bow is a Kanati R/D longbow. My backup bow is also my bowfishing bow and it's a Browning Wasp recurve that's a couple pounds lighter in draw weight than my Kanati. I have altered (added material to) the strike plate on the Wasp so that it has the same point of impact as my Kanati.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I do not have a back up.  Probably should, with my history of breaking anvels with a rubber mallet.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Primary is a #51 Toelke Chinook T/D with classic grip.  Back up is same length, grip, quiver.  Just a few pounds lighter and one piece instead of two.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
My first bow is 52@28 62" Pronghorn Longbow my back is a 51@28 62" Pronghorn Longbow.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
62" Widow PLIII, 54#@28" is my go to bow. 62" Widow PLV, 53#@28" is my back up....or is it the other way around? Been on two different hunts in Quebec where one of my hunting partners need his back up. So far I have been good, but I am a clumsy old fellar!!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
I've used old Widow MAIII's in the 46-48 pound range for many, many years but just recently started using an 40 pound A&H ACS for no other reason other than to keep things interesting and broaden my horizons a bit.  

We'll have to see how it goes for a while but I know that every time I walk past my bow rack and look at that 92' 46@28 MA, I almost feel like I have to say, "Sorry ol' buddy".   :)  If the ACS "sticks", I don't know what I'll do for a back up. Those old Widow MA's were pretty much interchangeable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©