3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Serious Question Here.....  (Read 1312 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Serious Question Here.....
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Good question, Joe, and thank you for asking it. Those who attack the Second Amendment, a right guaranteed in the Constitution, will not hesitate to attack hunting in general and bow hunting specifically -- activities that do not have specific constitutional protection.

What have I done? Given the ferocious attack on one of our constitutional rights by the same people who abhor our hunting traditions, not nearly enough.

I am changing that, and finding ways to step up my advocacy for our rights and traditions. We must hang together or we will be hanged separately.

Thanks again for asking this important question.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
For many years I served on the council of MI Traditional Bowhunters and we always had a big emphasis on kids. I also was very involved at that same time representing MTB at our DNR and NRC speaking to issues that had an impact on bowhunting in MI.

In recent years I've been teaching the bowhunting section of MI Hunter Safety at our church where we do several hunter safety classes a year.

It's interesting to note that the TV shows we see on networks like the Outdoor Channel and the Sportsmen's Channel have a big impact on the preconceived notions kids already have about bowhunting when they come to take Hunter Safety as 10, 11 & 12 year olds.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
Introduced both of my daughters husbands to bow hunting and am working through the same process with seven grandchildren.  

Have made many bows for them and take them hunting whenever possible even if they are not old enough to hunt themselves.

This year I lost my only opportunity for a deer due to a squirming nine year old sitting with me.  :)    It was worth it to see the look on his face when four does busted cover 15 yards in front of us.  He said, "that kinda scared me".  :bigsmyl:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Support, National, State and Local Bowhunting organizations.

Active for many years in our local club, which puts on shooting clinics for several youth organizations,Boy Scouts, 4-H, etc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I'm sure you recognize that bowhunting and the current BS about threats to the 2nd Amendment are not related...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
I stopped the crossbow from being legalized in the early mid 90s and held it for 16 years - and have had more apprentices than I could count - guided somewhere between 50 and 100 bowhunters free - gave away hunts for auction - gave away articles - state rep at DNR meetings many years - guest speaker a few states - try and hold up my end on group hunts - lead by example
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<

Always voted - and never voted for anyone who does not 100% fully support the 2nd amendment since 1976
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Yes beachbowhunter I do...however..each state could pass individual laws which affect our bowhunting seasons and the future generation to follow.

Maine and Ontario Canada lost their spring bear season. Here in NY the we fought off the crossbows in our regular archery season. Many changes across every State and Provinces.

Alberta Canada now has restricted the Mule deer permits in their southern zones or best areas. Bowhunters need to unite and stay in tune and voice their displeasure within their own Gov'tment.

Unfortunately, this world is made up of Givers and Takers...with the second being more prevalent.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
I'm sure you recognize that bowhunting and the current BS about threats to the 2nd Amendment are not related...
I wonder why at the Muzzy shoot they have a sign posted saying to join the NRA because guns are first and were next. Could it be because we are all interconnected in some way?

Joe, I have been into archery for 43 years. I have always tried to promote archery and have given away several bows over the years to kids in an attempt to keep the youth involved.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I build and donate a half dozen or so bows and arrow sets a year to kids or organizations that are promoting archery for the youngsters. I am also active in my club.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
This was a number years go, but here goes.

Back in high school (in Southern Ontario), in a geography class we had to choose a subject for a final project. One of my classmates did animal rights. During the presentation they described how hunters would "shoot animals in all four legs before killing them" and other such junk. During the entire presentation my whole class was dumbly nodding along as if it was obvious that hunters were cruel barbarians. At the end of the presentation I called them out on it in the most polite fashion possible, asking them to verify that information (they'd gotten almost all their 'material' from PETA) and finished by saying that I was a bowhunter and had never even heard of such a thing. I also pointed out that hunters are required by law to recover all useable meat on the animal, and that most of the behaviours ascribed to so-called hunter in the presentation were in fact against the law and those hunters were therefore poachers.

Dead silence after that - I was the only person in my class who hunted , as I grew up in a city. But I think I gave people a new perspective - being polite, respectful and articulate is surprising to people who expect you to be bloodthirsty and stupid. I may have changed a few minds, though I didn't make any friends among the presenters!

As far as recently, I run the archery club here on Manitoulin Island, and try my best to get kids into archery and bowhunting (while still learning, myself).

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Member of the NRA
Member of Minnesota State Archery Association
Member of Compton
As far personally defending my rights to hunt, nothing, I do help some younger kids I see when they are shooting a longbow or recurve if they want any help, I've given away my arrows at the range when I see them shooting some 40 lbs to heavy of spine. I do pay attention to stop any negative talk that may be started around me, if possible, without being hostile.
I am more of a promoter of archery and archery hunting than firearm stuff (don't do that any more) maybe that is something I could work on. Seemed to have segregated from that without thinking about it. I do buy a lot of licenses in a year and rarely get to tag anything, that money must help.

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Beachbowhunter that is the type of thinking that benifits the anti gun politician's cause.We are all sportsmen and at this time in our history we should be sticking together instead of dividing ourselves. Here in New York as Im sure you are aware we have lost a huge portion of our gun rights and are now probably the most restrictive state in the country. Over the last ten years I have built and donated at least 15 bows to New york bowhunters and as of last weekend Iam a proud NRA member

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I have some civilian employees that work for me in Philadelphia.  At first they were appalled by the thought of bowhunting, but through patient and thoughtful conversation they now look forward to daily updates of my adventures afield.  I guess it doesn't hurt that I haven't actually harvested a dear this whole season after going out every single day.

Tom

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
4H youth instructor for eight years...I help with any archery instruction if I can...and I have given archery equipment away many times to newbies.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Joe,  Great thread, not so much about bragging as it is a great way to share ideas.  I have done what others have done.

I get bows into people's hands every time they express any kind of interest.  

I make it a point to talk about this passion  of mine every chance I get, everywhere I go.

I have joined PBS and although I am not an active member yet, someday that will change but I do support their efforts.

I support sponsors who support hunting and give back 1st before looking elsewhere for items.

I know there is more I have done and there's always more to do but I do what I can, when I can.

:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
been a member of NYB for years, I've given away half a dozen youth bows over the years, and I'll share the joy of traditional archery/hunting with anyone who will listen!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Teach archery to 4H,scouts and anyone that wants it at our local archery shop.  We hunt rabbits for ranchers that do not want them, or guns on thier ranches.  They are amazed that we actually kill as many as we do.  They recommend us to other ranchers.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »
Joe, I spent almost 20 yrs. as a certified bow hunting instructor and almost as long as an NAA level ll instructor. Also, I served on the board of the United Bowhunters of Connecticut which is a lobbying group, fighting the good fight for bowhunting rights.Imo one can never give back enough. (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »
NC hunter safety instructor and coach of our school shooting teams.
I moved to SC 6 months ago and need to get reestablished here.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
Member NRA.
Member UBM.
Will join Comptons at their function in K.C. next month.
I call and write senators/representatives.
Introduce folks to the sport.
Give away/purchase items to help folks get started.
Mentor occasionally.
I reload a LOT of ammo... just in case... :-0  LOL
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©