3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single Bevel Broadheads  (Read 380 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Single Bevel Broadheads
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
There are a ton of archived postes on single bevels.  They seem to be popular but why?  I would think a double bevel is easier to sharpen like the woodsmens etc.
  What is the reasoning behind using a single bevel broadhead?  I really couldn't find a post to answer my question when I searched it.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single Bevel Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
I'll be watching this one just for my own info,I've never understood it either.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
IMO you can get a better cutting edge with a single bevel-or at the very least, I can.   :archer2:

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I can get single bevels sharper as well.  That alone is good enough reason to use them.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Read the Doctor Ashby reports. They are in the archives and will really explain a lot. Single bevel broad heads continue to rotate after impact. This can split bones on bad hits or when shooting large African game. There are arguments for both edge types.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I've shot a single-bevel since 2010 (my return to recurves). Personally I can sharpen a double bevel much easier than I can sharpen a single bevel.  I  have to work more with the single-bevel but I've been very happy with the performance.

What the maker of my single bevel tells  me is that the single bevel promotes more rotation of the arrow shaft (be sure the bevel matches your feather wing -- RW feathers need Right beveled head!). If the properly designed single bevel broadhead strikes bone it is supposed to be more likely to break the bone rather than be stopped or curled. I can't shed any experience on this aspect because so far I've avoided shoulders.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
They are not only sharper, but easier and faster  (or less work?) to sharpen as you only need to hone one edge.

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I too can get them sharper and, after I learned to keep the flat side FLAT, they are faster and easier to sharpen then any other type.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
From the standpoint of a sharp edge, a thinner blade will be sharper than a thicker blade.  An edge with a small angle will be sharper than a larger angle.  In the case of single vs double bevel broadheads, a single bevel broadhead has an angle of 25 degrees on ONE side only while a double bevel has an angle of 25 degrees on BOTH sides.  Therefore the inclusive angle on a double bevel is 50 degrees while the inclusive angle on a single bevel remains at 25 degrees.  There are other benefits to single bevels relating to the corkscrew effect as they pass through flesh.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
AGREED, read the Ashby reports on broadhead design and penetration, as well as arrow design.  Best info available to date.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Here are 2 youtube videos of Ashby explaining the benefits of single bevel BHS:

I also agree with others about the degree of sharpness. It seems to me that the single bevels can be much sharper than double bevels.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
I think it is the sharpening - or the fact  that good sharpening instruction came along at the same time. I never used em but I already have sharp heads with no lost animals. I think a lot of guys struggle with broadheads so when someone comes along and teaches them it reaches a good many.
<><
<-------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
I am against most single Bevel heads as that super thin edge curls over way to easy on hard impacts as well as the tip tends to twist and break off my vote for broadheads goes to the VPA 3 blade Andy Ivy has done a lot of testing and they penetrate just as good and sometimes better than 2 blades
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©