3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scariest Thing Ever Happened Shootin a Bow  (Read 865 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scariest Thing Ever Happened Shootin a Bow
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
The first (and only) takedown longbow I have ever owned came apart at the riser where the screws entered.  Full draw, of course.  I was very lucky that I cant my bow hard.  The bottom limb and string whacked me across the lower back just south of my beltline and the top limb went shooting past my right ear.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Back in the mid 80's i had a teardrop come off of a PSE. It was the last day of the season and i was climbing out of an old oak tree, i hung on to the tree and dropped off onto a stump about 6' down past that was a small creek. The rotten stump couldn't take it and i went down hard into the creek with my bow! I walked back to the house and thought i'd shoot my bow and check the sights, when i pulled back 29" TO FULL DRAW i came to my anchor point and started to release when WHAMMMM!!! the bow flew out of my hand and the string and cables wrapped around my arm hit me in the face! That stunned me for a min, i looked at the bow and saw where the top limb came apart and i never found the teardrop either.

I had a string break on my fisrt widow too. I came to full draw out in the back yard and POWWW!!! the string wrapped around my left arm. No damage to the bow, only my nerves!  :knothead:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
one time I had a new string that broke after just ten shots, it popped at full draw, I had a red line on my face for a week
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
I got a good one for you but it didn't happen to me . I traded a Great Plains to a gentleman last year for a striker longbow and he was telling me about how good is grouping was with it. He said it was so good that when his wife ain't home he would shoot it down a long hallway.Well one day he got so good that he hit a light switch, nicked a wire and busted the box. He told me he had to run to the hardware store and get everything to fix it and get home and do all the repairs. Here is the    :scared:  scarey part. He got it all done just as his wife came home and I don't think she even knows what took place that day. I can't remember this fellas name but I do know he was from Texas and his wife wears the pants in his family LOL!!!  :biglaugh:  Keefers <")))><

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Man, scary stuff there fellas..  When I started shooting years ago we would find lost arrows while walking the outdoor range..  We'd wait till we were headed back to the parking lot and in this huge grass field see who could shoot the lost arrows the farthest.. One day I found an old fiberglass arrow.. When I released the arrow folded up, about 2 inches in front of the fletch.  Seems the arrow was broke but not in two.. Raked my whole arm, but no blood just a huge bruise..  Coulda been a real disaster..
Damn Nice guy

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
Mine was when I shot a compound, I was at full draw in an indoor range when my brand new magnesium risered Hoyt snapped right in the middle of the grip.  Got whacked in the head, had a lump for awhile but no permanent damage....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
Mine was two weeks ago when a bow delamed at full draw and the lam went through my left hand until it hit bone. Don't try that at home kids!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Mine #2  all time.....    Years ago my buddy Biggie wanted him and I to make a wood bow together for him to shoot. I had only made a couple easy MuirHeaths (?) and limb bows out of hickory but I had a locust stave we could use. Biggie drove up that day from Macon to Atlanta and we piled into Schuster's basement where I had my tools.....power tools!#$.....In no time we had ripped a D-bow out with my table saw and belt sandeded it to what appeared a decent tiller...My infamous words now are etched into Biggie's brain...."Ok, Biggie watch these limbs work as I give it it first full draw and see if they are bending the same......"  KUUUUBAAAMMMM...Well you woood bow experts guessed it.The top limb completely sheared off above the handle at 27 1/2" of draw.....After realizing I was going to live and Schuster wasn't going to quit laughing..I noticed No Biggie....I have never seen 300#'s disappear that quick in my life......
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I got you all beat. I stepped out of the cabin and saw Ron LaClair and Fred Asbell shooting thier bows in thier long underwear. And I got a picture around here somewhere    :scared:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Like others, it has to be a bow exploding. It has only happened a couple of times, and once it was not a surprise, but man, what a shock.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
scariest thing for me was one night at our range a woman next to me drew someone else's arrow on her bow---it was too short and fell off the back of the arrowrest, hung up there with the bow at full draw----she turned to me, held the bow out toward me with it pointing directly at me and said "what do i do now ?"

hit the floor so hard i bruised both knees, had to apologize later for what i said
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
" ...Ron LaClair and Fred Asbell shooting thier bows in thier long underwear."

I could have lived a long and happy life without that mental image threatening my REM cycles.  :knothead:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I was 14 or so and shooting a lemonwood bow my grandfather had given me (he was about 5'6", I was about 5'10"), using his arrows, some of which were spliced.  I pulled one back far enough that the point came off the rest and was resting against the inside surface of it when I released.  The arrow broke and put a bruise on my bicep you wouldn't believe.  No blood, not permanent damage, and thankfully no eye damage.  I have never, in the 40 years since, shot an arrow less than my draw length.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
carbon arrow blew up and a 5 inch piece went straight into my forearm. five hours later i had the main arrow out, but to this day there is still little pieces of arrow in my arm.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Mine #2  all time.....    Years ago my buddy Biggie wanted him and I to make a wood bow together for him to shoot. I had only made a couple easy MuirHeaths (?) and limb bows out of hickory but I had a locust stave we could use. Biggie drove up that day from Macon to Atlanta and we piled into Schuster's basement where I had my tools.....power tools!#$.....In no time we had ripped a D-bow out with my table saw and belt sandeded it to what appeared a decent tiller...My infamous words now are etched into Biggie's brain...."Ok, Biggie watch these limbs work as I give it it first full draw and see if they are bending the same......"  KUUUUBAAAMMMM...Well you woood bow experts guessed it.The top limb completely sheared off above the handle at 27 1/2" of draw.....After realizing I was going to live and Schuster wasn't going to quit laughing..I noticed No Biggie....I have never seen 300#'s disappear that quick in my life......
I don't care who ya are, now that there's funny....
Damn Nice guy

Offline Ryan Bahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Shooting carp with a compound when I was a kid. The string got hung up and the arrow came back at me nock first and stuck in my leg.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
Fortunately never had a bow explode on me.  Weekend before last, had a nock blowup immediately upon release.  The sound about scared me to death.  Took a few minutes to figure out what happened, then a few more minutes inspecting the bow once I determined what happened.  Cautiously started shooting again only to discover blood dripping down my shirt.  When the nock blew, it cut a 1/2" gouge out below my lip.  At least my anchor was consistent, but I am happy I shoot split finger and don't anchor close to my eye!  It could have been a real mess.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
I was shooting at a hog with a homemade longbow a few years ago. I was on the ground and had snuck up behind a big oak. I leaned around to shoot and in the heat of the stalk and getting ready for the shot I did not see the abnormal limb sticking out the side of the oak. Top limb hits the oak limb at the shot and the arrow falls at my feet , the bow comes back and whacks me a little on the forehead and knocks my glasses off.Pigs trot off about fifty yards and start rooting again.RC

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
I was on the practice range at a 3-D shoot and one of those fancy split limbed compounds came apart right next to me, parts went everywere, thankfully no one was hurt, I have dryfired once from a bad nock, I won't be doing that again soon,(Knock on Wood)  :scared:  Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline vizsla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
A few years back gold tip arrows came out and they had a allen screw to tighten to hold the nock on well one abme loos when i released and flew back and split my nose stillo have the scar. my frends said i deserved it for  buying weels,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©