3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you wear gloves when dressing out?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Green Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you wear gloves when dressing out?
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
I'm not talking about going out on the town for a formal dinner....  :)   just wondering if you wear gloves when cleaning deer etc...  if so why?  and if not why?

no one did when i was growing up but seems that lots of folks do now with the threats of CWD etc...  just wondering what everyone else thinks.

enjoy the day,
Kyle
"Everything the power of the world does it does in a circle." -Black Elk

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you wear gloves when dressing out?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I always try to wear gloves.  I guess I figure why not? I'm not so much worried about CWD as much keeping my hands and arms clean and dry...especially when it's cold out. It may not be the tough guy thing to do, but it works for me.   If I don't have any along then I'll dress the deer without them, but I prefer to use them if I do.  You enjoy the day too Kyle. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Yes, if I remember to pack them.  Mostly to keep clean but it seems a prudent thing in general.  I'm not a big fan of mixing body fluids with most animals.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Always use 'em when field dressing unless I forget 'em. I'm not really concerned about disease, but after trying them once, the type that come up to your shoulder + latex on the hands, why mess with bloody shirt, watch, everything again? I also wear latex gloves when butchering, just to make clean-up easier.

I bury them when done (on my own property) or take 'em out. Only thing I don't like about 'em is you don't have quite the feel for the knife, so be careful when cutting the trachea, stuff like that.

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
i started wearing gloves last year. they had some for 50 cents a pack at bass pro that came up to your shoulders. much easier and cleaner.

i also started to wear them because i had heard stories of people gutting deer that had eaten poison ivy.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
I never have and have field dressed about a 100 deer and thousands of rabbits, squirrels,fox, coons, coyotes,mink, muskrat etc..So far so good, Im more worried about what Ill get from the food we import from Mexico and China....
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I have never used gloves either and agree with you.

Offline NEW GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
I wear dish washing gloves for guttin deer.  It's not for health reasons for me, just faster as far as the clean up goes.  I don't wear gloves for doves, squirrel, rabbits or anything else.
"Good Judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from Bad Judgement."

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
I do. More to keep my hands clean than disease protection. Besides, as a Nurse I have ready access to them.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
I don't use them but understand why some do.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline ogopogoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I don't, I'm a Chef so I'm used to gutting and cleaning, butchering animals. although, in Alberta in Oct gutting an Elk i wished I had!!!! it was Oct 31 and COLD man!!!! It took us awhile as we had a bear lurking around trying to get our animal at the same time.
 Not sure if it was a Brown...could have been as we think he came in from the sound of gunfire as they do out there sometimes. gunfire = free food!
I learned to swim ashore from stones, I learned to live alone in droves...Allergic to Myself....
my upcoming album..

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I have worn them for several years now. Field dressing gloves and fletch tape has gotta be two of the best ideas to come along in a VERY long time.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Wasn't there a guy that got a parasite from a bear while cleaning it and it was pretty nasty from what I hear? Why risk anything like that.

Offline John Stockman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
I wear a paiir of the shoulder length gloves (mostly to keep the blood off me) covered by a short pair that fit tighter than the long gloves with enormous fingers.

I began wearing gloves while field dressing and processing several years ago when a friend contracted leptospirosis from getting bacteria from deer feces in a broadhead cut on his hand.  He nearly died.  His doctor couldn't accurately diagnose his illness.  My friend was hospitalized and his body functions were failing.  The doctor noticed the laceration on my friend's hand and questioned him about it.  He ran some tests that confirmed his suspicion that my friend had leptospirosis, a condition that is sometimes associated with veternarians and meat cutters who get bacteria from animal feces in their bloodstream.

John Stockman

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I do not wear them, I have managed for this long without them and I really dont need another piece of gear with me in the field.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
I have used them in the past.  Mostly to try to keep clean.  I don't use them now because for the most part they don't fit well (the long plastic throw away ones) so they make gutting very cumbersome and I think I have broke or ripped a hole in them every time and never stayed clean.

- Dave

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
I use them, both styles for large and small game. I seem to pickup poison Ivy in the winter. As some of those rabbits, seem to like it a little to much!

Brent
One folder style knive I use a lot. Goes inside one of the turned inside out latex gloves when the job is done. Then in the pack! And hearts and livers travel well inside one of the arm lenght ones turned inside out also!  :thumbsup:

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
The lifeguard association that we use at our pool has a saying..."if it is wet and not yours don't touch it and certainly don't eat it." I try to live by that rule, if for no other reason than I don't have blood caked all over my hands.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I find it funny as I think about it.   I've never worn gloves while cleaning small game, never even occured to me,  but I always have when gutting large game.

I usually have a pair or two in my pack but I'm not going to freak out if I don't.   It's more for keeping my clothes clean and dry than anything else.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
If it is warm I usually wear them as parasites are more prevalent in the warmer weather. If its been cold for awhile I don't use gloves, just strip to base layer then use baby wipes to clean up.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©