3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you wear gloves when dressing out?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you wear gloves when dressing out?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
no
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
I normally have about ten sets in my pack and usually forget to use them. But at least they are there.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Nope.
Pigs and bears might maybe make me nervous, though.

But I hunt deer and squirrels. Might get an unlucky bear someday.

I woulda missed out on a lasting memory if I had worn gloves the day I dressed out Oddball, though. Oddball was a three-pointer that I killed up near Slabcamp. He ended up upside down ten yards from the trail. I dressed him out and went to the beaver pond to clean up. The pond was iced over, so I broke a little hole and washed up. There were bugs swimming in the water. Little not too little water bugs about the size of potato bugs, just having a ball. I didn't know that. But there they were, sharing their pond with me, and me, I'm feeling all alive with the cold water and chilly air, the dancing swimmers and the huge gratitude for the gift of the deer, with his hot blood warming my hands as I worked to turn him into meat for my family.

I take it as a part of the experience that makes it stay fresh and whole in my memories.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Never did but have been the past few years. My job supplies me with great gloves to use. I'm also never without Baby Wipes...neat way to clean up any blood....plus they work great on those mother nature calls!!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
I have never worn gloves either ,probably a good idea but,have pulled alot of calves without them too.Like Indy says, probably alot more to worry about from food from Mexico and China than from most animals over here.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline gjw77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Gloves are something I always buy or borrow to take hunting,but for some funny reason they are never there when I get something down.It's about like my buck knife,I always forget it and end up having to gut a deer with my swiss army knife.Funny how when you're unprepared is the day you kill something.I think maybe I leave that stuff at home on purpose,lol.
"Sometimes you get the bear,sometimes the bear gets you."

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
One halloween i was working 3-11 and i saw a yearling get tapped by a car. I drove my cruiser over to where it layed and the driver stopped i did a report and he left. I looked that deer up one side and down the other and couldn't find a scratch! I pulled out my good EMT gloves and field dressed the little doe. I hung it up in a tree and went back to work. That was the only time i ever used a pair of gloves to field dress an animal. I have to admit it was nice not getting messy, but i don;t carry them in the woods with me. I'm not worried about the deers bodily fluids.Hey, I couldn't let the backstraps go to waist after i couldn't find any bloodshot damage, I know it sounds like a redneck roadkill story but, oh well whats the use, i'll never hear the end of this one anyway.  :banghead:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
I do!. Know of a person who got a viral infection that cost him his life. So now I wear them. It's a small price to pay. Before I found out about that person's misfortune I never did!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
I don't but might after reading 3under's post. I would have liked them the first time I had to gut a deer. Boy that is a lasting impression,LOL!!!  :scared:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
In my younger days I didn't but I do now. In my younger days I never wore a safety belt but I do now. I guess as we get older we get wiser.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
i always use them if i have them in my pack...seems  like a easy decision..they cost hardly anything and keep your hands clean...and if they do help with disease or parasites...then that is more reason to ... i see more harm in not using them than using them....just my 2 cents...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Never have used them either but I would if I had an open wound on either hand.  I have nicked myself a few times on sharp bone and immmediately clean after dressing.  So far so good.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Even with gloves a sharp bone cuts right through 'em.  I always seem to wind up with a cut on my hand when cleaning animals.  Even if it is just squirrels or rabbits.  Still wear them 'cause it is easier to clean up.
-Charlie

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
No
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
I always try to wear em. Easy to clean up and why take the chance at being one of the unlucky ones that gets ill or worse.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
I do`nt on deer,but do on hogs and javelina,the hogs always smell bad and the javelina always have fleas. Note to Killdeer; reply to more things more often,as I just love to read the thoughts you have and your descriptions of them.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 02:19:00 AM »
I was one of the unlucky ones last year.  Spent a week in the hospital after a small cut on the knuckle while dressing my son's deer got infected. Went from my knuckle all the way up my arm.  Might bit painful and the fever, well, lets just say I know why the sweat lodge invokes visions!

I've worn gloves, but most times don't.  Truth is, gloves wouldn't have made a difference.  The knife would have cut through them too.  The infection came from the mud puddle I rinsed off in, not the deer.  I'll be carrying baby wipes and Purell from now on.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »
When taking care of a deer, I will use them if I have them.

When skinning a yote or coon, always.

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
I never have but after watching my brother dress a deer last year I think I will now. He had them at the time, and after he was done we were bothe suprised on how much cleaner he was after wards.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
No. I don't wear gloves.
I can't imagine allowing the plastic snickety sound of the latex into the woods with me. Makes my stomach queezy thinkin' about it. I'd rather be bloody! The deer gave his life so I could live, the least I could do is gut it with my own hands. You are more likely to pick up somethin' in a public restroom than while gutting a deer.
 Course all this flies out the window if yer gutting something that has shown signs of some kinda communicable disease, use yer head. To each his own path ya know!I won't hack on ya too much if I see ya gutting one with full length latex gloves on , might have to call you Dr. Deer for awhile! Or if the timing was right , tell you "the deer doesn't need a rectal exam, its dead."
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©