3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Four Fletch  (Read 286 times)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Four Fletch
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
I have an old BPE fletcher and ended up with a new one also. I had been out of it for a long time and I think I thought the old one was broken. Neither one of these came with instructions and they were both set up for three fletch so that's all I ever did,but I really like some of the virtues of 4" four fletch. So I took the old one apart so if I couldn't figure it out and screwed it up I would still have the other one,but I managed to figure out how the system worked so now I know how the four fletch adjustment works and wanted to try some. My question is to people that use four fletch is there any special things you do different than three fletch. Do you still use a helical clamp or straight with an offset? Thanks

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Four Fletch
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
usually a slightly shorter fletch can be used. I like between 4 1/2 and 5". Some like 4 or shorter.

You can back off on the helical a little with the benefit of more silent flight.

Straight or helical is your choice.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
How do you back off on the helical Charlie? I thought that the amount of helical had to do with your specific brand of fletcher and it's clamp?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I assumed there were adjustments on that fletcher. I've used a Bitzenberger for the last 35 years so don't have any hands on experience with your brand.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Ok thanks for the advice,i'll play around with it.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I don't do anything special.  I love the way 4-5" parabolics fly.

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
I have shot 4" 4 fletch with full helical and they fly great. However Im not sure the added cost = added accuracy. I just like em for the "look" and not having to worry about indexing them when shooting. I would think they slow down your arrow, but how much, not sure as I dont have a chrono.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
it's a bit more work and expense for a 4-fletch, but as charlie sez, you can use a shorter fletch and use offset instead of helical for a somewhat quieter flight.  

i'm also interested in the fletch's height and shape, as that will determine the relative surface area.  

then there's the fletch layout and i like 75x105 or 90x90.  there is a 60x120, but that's a tad too radical for me.

the off-season is a good time to mess around with arrow fletching, test a bunch out, see if any have any merit for you.

i like a 75x105 4-fletch, chopped or burnt banana fletches that are about 4-3/8" or so long and about 7/16"" to 5/8" at the hi-point, slight offset.

skinny chopped 'naners ...

4-fletch 4-3/8" 'nanners vs. 3-fletch 5-1/4" shields ...

fat burnt custom shields ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Those arrows look nice Rob.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
I have a BPE and do 4 fletch. I do 90 degrees. It is possible to modify the offset on the BPE. There is an adjustment where the clamp attaches to the magnet. I reduced the degree of offset when I went to 4 fletch from 3 fletch. I think the offset and helical are not the same thing but have a similar effect?

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
I don't understand all the different degrees though. When I took it apart there were divots that a ball bearing sat in so when you turned the dial it would stop where it was supposed to. It looked like it had a set for the three fletch and then a set screw for the four  fletch. How are you guys getting all the different degree settings like the chart Rob showed? Do some of the different or better fletchers come with different indexers?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by FarmerMarley:
... I think the offset and helical are not the same thing but have a similar effect?
they are totally different, and yet in a basic way they are similar.  helical is offset and twist, where offset is just a degree or two off parallel.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Great pics and diagram Rob!  FarmerMarley, you are correct in that they are not the same, but have a similar effect. Off set fletching remains in a straight line, only at an angle on the shaft "/". Helical is off set as well, but the fletching is in an "S" shape. They both will induce spin on the arrow, with helical being a more aggressive, faster spinning effect.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
I don't understand all the different degrees though. When I took it apart there were divots that a ball bearing sat in so when you turned the dial it would stop where it was supposed to. It looked like it had a set for the three fletch and then a set screw for the four  fletch. How are you guys getting all the different degree settings like the chart Rob showed? Do some of the different or better fletchers come with different indexers?
some fletching jigs will only do a 3-fletch.  others will allow one or more of the 4-fletch variations.  you need to know what yer buying.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks Rob. I think that cleared it up for me. I think this one will do one three fletch and just one variation of four. I'll give it a try and see how they turn out. Maybe i'll post some pictures when I get them done and ya'll can tell me which variation I have. Thanks again all.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
i would recommend for yer first foray into 4-fletch doing a slight offset and not a helical, and use commercially bought or chopped parabolic or shield 4" feathers.  as to the configuration, either 75x105 or 90x90, don't matter all that much.

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
The bitz jigs can do the (4) fletch in both 75/105 and 90. To do the 75/105 you have to remove the arrow and turn it 180 and put it back on to get the additional angles if I remember correctly. I used to do those angles, now I just do 90.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
That will work Rob I have all three clamps for this jig.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
Do let us know how it works out for ya. Inquiring minds and all that.   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Alexander, if you pm me your mailing address I can send you a copy of the directions for that bpe fletcher... or I could fax them to you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©