3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in New Mexico.  (Read 180 times)

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in New Mexico.
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
I moved down south about a year ago and havnt had a chance to hunt anything other than cotton tail.

Can you guys recomend some units for me apply to?
I'm interested in elk and bear mostly although a muley would be ok too.
I know the Gila houses some record size bulls but to be honest, Im okay with a young cow.

Which units are good for a trad guy?
I'm thinking the northern half of the state, somewhere close to home if possible...

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in New Mexico.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
New Mexico doesn't have a points system in place. So we all go into the same pool without any preference. I know guys who have lived in N.M. and not been able to hunt for several years because of not being able to draw a tag. Good luck!
Unit 52 seems to be a unit that is easier to draw than say the 15 or the 16's.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
The units listed above are some of the best elk hunting. i see more bears out on mt. Taylor and bear is over the counter. I have not drawn in 4 years and I live here!!! If I don't make the cut again for a 5th year I am going to Colorado. Also look into the Ruiodoso and Cloudcroft area and The Jazmes area (Santa Fe national forest).  Can't give ya much more information becaue I can't seem to hunt in the state I live in...
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I was thinking bout going back to Oregon if I cant hunt close to home. I can usally find elk, deer and bear. A shot is a totally different matter. Out of state tags are spendy, no matter where ya hunt.

Colorado is only 2 hours from here. Why drive 2 when 1 is an option...

Id prefer to hunt local if possible.

Offline Triphammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Hey NM folks! I've heard you guys are being overrun by feral pigs. I live in SE AZ about two hours out of Lordsburg. What's involved in an out of stater hunting hogs in your state?
 Thanks,
 jim

Offline High Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Depending on where you're at, unit 34 and 36 have good numbers of elk, and success rates are pretty good.  I live down here in Southern New Mexico, but I was born in Eastern Oregon, still miss home.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Sharpend- I agree units 34 and 36 are bowhunter friendly for elk.  Don't overlook the Valles Caldera and Valles Vidal hunts.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Unit 34 is one where I used to hunt a lot from 1979 until I moved to OK a couple of years ago. Not too hard to get onto a 5x5 or 6x6 bull. Slipping an arrow into him, though, isn't quite as easy!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Sharpend study the draw odds reports and harvest info on the NM website.  It is pretty accurate I think and can help you decide how to apply based on what you are looking for.  Elk hunting is still excellent in many areas although the drought and fires are changing the dynamics of some areas a little over the past few years.  I mostly hunt down south but have hunted some in the 2's, 4, 5's, and 6's and had some great hunts.  Good luck....Shawn

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
I know you said you're interested in Mule Deer and Elk but don't overlook the Antelope.  NM has some of the best antelope hunting in the country and some absolutely huge antelope.  I was lucky enough to draw a tag in 2005 and it was an unbelievable hunt.  

I'm not so lucky on drawing an elk tag there....10 yrs of applying and zilch for tags so can't help you much there.  

Good Luck!

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
You could check into a cow tag on the Jicarilla, may be able to purchase from the tribe. Also don't forget about javelina around Lordsburg or the Florida mts. Also over the counter turkey tags were available up around Chama the last to years. I know that's not bear or elk but it all fun right! Bull tags are a big zero for me last 6 years! I hear the sargents are great for bear and elk for that matter.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Also just went on a hunt on the gila with father in law this fall. Huge bulls for sure. Huge country for sure.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
If you dont draw, there is always a landowner tag.  You can sometimes get them at a good price at the last minute. There were loads available last year.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©