3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting glove....need a new one  (Read 715 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting glove....need a new one
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Haven't had to buy a new glove in many years. My Berlin style glove with Cordovan tips has served me well, but it is getting on in years, and besides that I have decided I need a back-up in case I should lose it.
The first thing I did was order another of the glove I currently have. When it arrived I sent it back the day I received it. The decline in construction quality was shocking.
Now I'm looking at unfamilar products. One thing I notice is that many gloves have nylon overlays on the fingers now rather than the Cordovan. Those of you that use these, what are your thoughts on them? Durability? Finger protection using heavier bows? Smoothness of release? Wet weather? Anything else?
Your experiences and insights are welcomed.
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting glove....need a new one
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Kevin,

Look at the American Leathers buffalo big shot, great glove and wears like iron, only glove I use. very well made.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
I'm really liking my Big Shot from American Leathers. The nylon gives a slick release and the construction is second to none.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I have 2 big shot gloves and love them, also if you like a feel for the string 3rivers duraglove is a great choice, have one of those also
John 3:16

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
I agree with the above post about American Leathers gloves.     :thumbsup:
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
X2 on the Duraglove. I've been using these for a few seasons now. I like them so much I got one big enough to wear over my military surplus wool glove liners for late season.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Dura-Glove+Archery+Shooting+Glove_i4040X_baseitem.html
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Am. Leathers Crossover. I have been shooting this glove for about 3 months now, and it is the best glove I ever owned.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Have both the american leather big shot elk gloves and the 3 rivers dura glove.
Both wear well, (big shot better than the dura glove). The dura glove has less finger protection but, you feel the string more. The big shot glove nylon is very slick and my favorite. The big shot is more expensive but the quality is there and for my money well worth it.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Thanks all for the input thus far.
How does the durability of the nylon compare with Cordovan? What happens to the nylon on a rainy day? In nasty brushy country does it get "fuzzed" up?
Anyone use the American Leathers Full Shot glove?
Thanks.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Another question about the American Leather gloves... I notice that their straps fasten on the underside of your wrist. Any glove I've shot has always fastened on the top of my wrist. I'm wondering if this poses any problem with snagging on clothing as you walk or when you draw your bow??? Maybe a trivial point, but I'm picky!
Thanks.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
I have been using an elk Big Shot for two years and it's still in great condition.  No issues for me with the nylon or the wrist strap fastening on the inside.  I just picked up the Crossover also, still working on getting it broken in.  If you are concerned about the exposed nylon I would recommend the Crossover.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Mike and Centaur...
Regarding the Crossover, how heavy are the bows you shoot? I ask because if I'm not mistaken the Crossover has the plastic inserts sewn inside each finger stall. I remember a Howard Hill glove that I owned years ago that was constructed that way. It was a stout piece of equipment and not designed for light draw weights...at least not in my opinion.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Kevin,
I'm shooting bows in the 55-60 pound range. I, too, had the Howard Hill glove in the past, and couldn't get used to it, but the Crossover is a whole different story. I wasn't sure I like the fastening on the underside of the wrist at first, but I have gotten used to it and now it feels natural.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
American Leathers CrossOver for me.  Great quality and an slick release.  I shoot Hill-style longbows from 35-42lbs.  I have no problem with getting a smooth release and still feel the string, but not as much as I did with my Bateman and Skookum cordovan tabs.  

I have a medium glove and the wrist strap has about 2 inches of velcro for the closure.   Barely any extra strap sticking out when it's secured around my wrist.  Don't have a problem with it snagging on anything.  I think it would work well for you.  

If you get the right size it will be VERY tight for a bit while it breaks in.  I wore mine during my commute to and from work for a couple of days to break it in.  Now it's still snug around my fingers, but nice and comfortable.  After a little shooting it's perfect.  I really like it.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Kevin... the Crossover is a great glove and as soon as I can I'll get a couple more so I'll always have one.

I to tried the Hill glove years ago and I never really cared for it. Just too stiff for my tastes and I was using 70+ pound bows at that time.
I'm using mid 50's bows now and the Crossover is great. Very good protection, smooth release and awesome quality.

I was very skeptical when I first got it, expecting it to be too stiff, but it's a whole nuther animal.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I had the big shot and it's a nice glove but I personally did not like it because I could not feel my anchor point on my face. I used it but I removed the nylon to bare leather.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Bateman cordovan almost 50 $ but worth it. Very slick release. You have to break it in I cut 1/4" off the tips to feel my anchor.im talking about the top model w inserts.new ideas about gloves not nessesarily better just different.also hhill glove is agood glove.
Arrow_Flynn

Online bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Highly recommend the Big Shot Crossover.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
I love my Tred Barta's from three rivers
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
I had a super glove and it just got too much of a crease in it and would split the skin on my index finger for some reason. I then got a big shot.  I liked it a lot, but did have some issues with one of the fingers twisting a little so I was on the side of the nylon pad with one finger.  Still worked great and the best heavy glove I have tried.

I got away from the glove and now shoot an Eichler cordovan tab.  Love it, and it has a super slick release.  However, shooting split finger, I just don’t get a great anchor in my face without turning my head in a little more than I would  like.  My fingers are on the short side.  A glove lets me face the target more and get a real positive anchor.  

I went to the Kalamazoo Expo this weekend to try to get a crossover.   I really like the look of that glove and the feel when I tried one on at Compton last year.  American Leathers was not there and none of the vendors seemed to have a crossover.  So I tried to find a Dura glove, but no luck with that.  The Dura glove should have a medium amount of protection and ability to get a good hook on the string with slick release.  I found a Bear Paw black glove so got one of those.  A lot more string feel than I am used to, but I like the release a lot. No break in required with a slick release.  I also liked the fit and the elastic nature of the back of the glove really holds it on well.  I had no problem changing over from the tab to the  glove. It will take a little getting used to with more finger pressure, but it works well and would be a great glove for someone liking a Damascus glove, but wanting something better for wet weather and longer wear.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©