3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what canoe for hunting?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
what canoe for hunting?
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
ok gang. I am looking at adding a canoe to the house for general outdoor fun and hunting.  I had a plastic type old town about 15 years ago I got used but sold if after I joined the service.  This thing went all over the country with me on my little trips and was used a lot. The thing is I'm not sure what it was.  I have looked online and have found a few of interest, and am thinking of  a three seater skanoe type with the flat back for a possible trolling motor for future use.

lets hear some suggestions and pics if you got them.  For general outdoor use and hunting would you go 14 or 16 feet?  
Thanks
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bob4st

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what canoe for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
...multiple seats for multiple people would best be served with the longer the better...hunting slowly along waters edge with potential for taking a shot indicates wide/stable so you don't get yer feathers wet...should your hunt be successful you will need plenty of room for awkward cargo...toss in some camping gear and you will need a yacht... all those potentialities have always lead me to long (18'), light hull (Kevlar), quiet accessories (wood, not aluminum hardware), high sides (more effect by wind), etc... next issue of concern is the type(s) of environments you will use it (open lakes, slow narrow river, number of portages, protected or exposed to high wind, and on and on)...work out as many of these factors as possible to assist in narrowing your selections...rarely will one canoe handle all factors well...
NY Bowhunters, Inc.
Traditional Bowhunters of NY
Traditional Archery Society
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
You're right on about the motor.  It's an option you don't want to pass.  Al is too noisy.

Offline SpeirHunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Ghenoe, the original. I have a 15'4" highsider that my dad bought when I was 13. Caught many a fish, very stable even with a 7.5 on it.
Livin' the Bayed Life.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I was wondering about the aluminum and noise. Thanks.
And Bob4, you just wrote me a book!!! Thanks. Mostly small rivers, not too many portages, and smaller lakes.  light camping gear i.e. tarp hammock. and my ruck sack.  Nothing for long range rough waters.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline SpeirHunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Gheenoe, sorry.
Livin' the Bayed Life.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I have an old town discovery 16 footer.  It is plastic with wood thwarts.  I have had it for over 20 years and used it for mild whitewater, river tripping, fishing, hunting and lots of other fun.  It is not the best for any specific use but is a great all rounder.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Ditto on the Old Town Discovery. I have a 17 footer for 25yrs. and put it many uses including hunting. Darn good all around canoe (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Tatonka17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Old Town makes a square stern called the Discovery Sport 15. That's the one I'd look at.

Offline Spence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
You didnt mention your budget, lots of options.  You do not need a square stern for trolling motor use, just get a motor bracket.  Check out Native watercraft for a very stable design.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
I no longer own a canoe, but for many years I did and the best one I ever found was the Radisson. Check them out.
Kevin

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Brian,

I will try to call ya tomorrow ... too much to discuss in a simple post.  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Radisson. They make a square stern model,and a transom model that is even better. Unsinkable,40 pounds,well made,great looking canoes. They are a bit pricey. I transom camo 14'er will set you back $1200ish. But that thing has a 800-900 pound payload I think,and you can carry it over your head to the water. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
We have a couple Mad River 14' canoes and love them..very light, easy one person hunting...Had a Radisson canoe...that thin aluminum flexes a lot and makes noise when it does....check craigslist...always some deals this time of year..both of ours we picked up for under $300 ea

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
Look at Goldenhawk canoes. They are a little wider and shorter, carry heavy loads, are light and very maneuverable and almost indestructible. I have had one for years and unless you are going to do very long trips, you cant beat them.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
River Ridge Canoes would be my choice.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
My favorite, 15.9 Old Town Charles River @ 80lbs carry weight

Carries a lot of gear or large game. Great for spring & summer scouting, fishing and fun

Rock tough and great for camping

Does great in the winter for hunting too

Manuverable and can handle class III whitewater

You can get factory seconds with small blemishes for around $700.00.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Countcoup43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
I trap out of canoes and currently own 2. A 16 foot fiberglass Old Town and 12 foot fiberglass of unknown origin.
Stability is really about the same with either one. Key to short ones is width at the center.Both of mine are double enders but it would be nice to have a flatback for motorized travel. Usually I'm trapping solo so 12 foot is easier to portage but longer canoes do track in water better .

If I were to buy a new canoe today IMHO it would be hard to beat a 14 foot flatback Sportspal.They are made of aircraft aluminum for strength,are completely lined inside with sound deadening foam which by the way allows the canoe to be completely filled with water and not sink. They also have large sponsons attached to the sides which really make them extremely difficult to capsize. Check them out online. Will definately be my next canoe!!
"HUNT LIKE YOUR HUNGRY "

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
A little Krylon Fusion paint for camo, and that's all you need to get you back in to where ya wanna go.

An actual shot from a canoe is hard to come by in my areas. Most large game catch on to you & your canoe pretty quick. It is good to get you back in the areas you wanna go without as much detection.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©