3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what canoe for hunting?  (Read 1209 times)

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what canoe for hunting?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Any prospector style canoe in roylex, wenonah makes a 16ft and 15ft.  We have a 15ft great on rivers and such, does fine on lakes, can trip with if need to, we do have a kevlar tripping canoe.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Handles the smallest creeks but even spring deer seem to get spooked.

The smaller game does not mind it much.

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
You may want to learn about the different parts of a canoe that would affect how it is used. I have been a whitewater raft guide, video kayaker, and whitewater kayak instructor (ACA certified) on the New and Gauley Rivers in Southern West Virginia since 96'. Now keep in mind that all of my experience is with Class III-V+ whitewater so I have little experience with rec-touring boats and there is a world of difference.
Here are some design terms:
Rocker: This is the banana shape of a boat as viewed from the side. the more rocker, the easier it turns. You would want more of this for whitewater applications and less for flat water. The con of having more rocker is the boat becomes difficult to keep it going in a straight line and you will have to compensate more with paddling strokes such as the J-Stroke.
Tracking: This is the ability for a boat to glide in a straight line. This comes in handy for crossing large bodies of water. Again, this is what you want for lakes and flat moving water. Boats that track well do not have much rocker at all and may have a keel.
Keel: This is not found on whitewater boats because it is used to improve tracking. It is simply a ridge of some sort.
Just my 2 cents:
I have used plastic kayaks all over North America and have run everything from large rivers to steep creeks where hitting rocks is a fact of life. I have had boats fall off of vehicles and bounce down into canyons and I have dragged boats for many miles while carrying out of remote gorges. The point I am trying to make is I have never had one crack. Plastic does not glide through the water as nicely as a hard material such as fiberglass or aluminum but it is darn near indestructible. If I was to buy a canoe, I would want to decide if the majority of my boating would be solo or with another person, what I would be carrying, the type of water I would mostly be paddling, and how rough I plan on treating it.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
The Charles River canoe has a moderate rocker and tracks fairly well but remains manuverable enough to dodge rocks in swifter waters.

Bicster, I've taken my Charles River canoe down the New River in WV from Hinton to Thurmond but stay away from the bigger mean stuff on the lower New River and Gauley Rivers!

I love the WV mountains and rivers!!!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
After running fully loaded thru Brooks Falls on the New River, portage around 16' Sandstone falls and on to Thurmond. Probably not to smart without a vest on huh?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Thank you everyone so much for this information. You all have been very helpful, and Osage those pics are breathtaking.  

cost i am not wanting to go over 700 dollars, and general purpose all around is what I am looking for. Nothing to take on rapids or ocean just your standard midwest paddling.  I have my research cut out for me.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
An Old Town Discovery 158 or 174 is an excellent choice. I have a friend who has beat the crap out of his Disco 158 for years on shallow, rocky rivers and it's still going strong.
Good luck in your search...getting there is half the fun!
Mark 1:17

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Joseph,
Nice pics! Yes, I would be wearing a vest but feel naked without one.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Vest or no vest, looks like fun

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
I had an Old Town Discovery 158 that I really loved. Sold it to finance a bigger boat. Picked up a Pelican Explorer DLX for a great price a couple years later. Figured it would get me by til I could afford another Old Town but it has held up and functioned great.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
I owned an Old Town Tripper, 17'-3", for over 30 years. Great canoe but heavy. carried 1,200# of men and gear. Mainly a two man canoe. If you will be hunting single I'd opt for a 16" Kevlar boat that you can carry on your shoulders without getting a hernia. I'd never go smaller than 16' for general canoe work myself. Avoid aluminum like the plague.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
People talk about unsinkable canoes.  

If you put a trolling motor on the back, it will sink most any canoe.  There is surprisingly little bouyancy in any canoe.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
My hunting buddy has never had a problem with his squared off and a trolling motor. We use them for everything from duck hunting to bowfishing.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
I guess I didn't state that in an understandable way.  

If you tip the canoe, the motor will sink it.  It won't sink a floating canoe.  It's when things go bad that the motor becomes a liability.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Birch bark

Wood and canvas

In a pinch you can use aluminum

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
My OldTown was one of the tippiest canoes I ever owned. I know you have one or had one but I would be looking for a canoe with a bit more stability. I cannot remember the model I had but it had the wicker seats ect and cost me about 900. about 20 years ago. I was looking at another OldTown with the square stern, Probably should have gotten it. I had a Smoker before that and liked it much better. The wood for quiet is a valid point but also stability is. You might actually want to stand up and shoot.
God bless you and good luck. Steve

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »
If you are going to be paddling solo mostly, I would look at a Penobscot 16' Old Town or a Bell Morning Star, or a 16' Souris River.  If you will mostly be paddling tandem a higher payload canoe like a 17' Souris River or a 17' Penobscot or a Mad River Explorer.  None of my canoes are for sale, but if you ever feel like lugging a hefty food pack for an old man with a limp over some rough portages you can use one of mine. Oh yes, you will need a good rock throwing arm for when the bears come into camp.
You can check out lots of canoes here   http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1001   come March.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
My 16'; Old Town camper has worked for me on many trips.
My solo trip in a bow only reserve b/c it paralles an interstate Hwy.

Scouting for above trip with my God child and nephews.

It was ice cold on the hunting trip and 100 plus degrees on the scouting trip.I am in a kayak the boys are in my canoe. Kip

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
If at all possible, try out various types and makes of watercraft.  You will be amazed at all of the differences once you do this.  Be honest about how often, with who and where you will use the boat as well because all watercraft are built to handle certain situations better than others.

Personally I bought a fishing kayak that is 14' long.  This is called a sit-in  (vs. a sit-on) type kayak but it could easily be called a solo canoe in my opinion.  It is extremely stable and manuverable and it can carry a lot of stuff.  I liked it better than the typical solo canoes because of the seat.  It offers back support (which this ol' man needs desperately) and most canoes do not.  The lower center of gravity and seating arrangement helps it to be very stable.  When loading / unloading and when shooting, this will be a very important aspect.  My hunting and fishing is done in mostly flat water lakes and streams, with the occasional small rapids.  I needed something suitable for one person, stable to cast / shoot, easily steered and light of weight for portaging.  This was a full wish list but I believe the boat I chose does very well.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by eflanders:

Personally I bought a fishing kayak that is 14' long.  This is called a sit-in  (vs. a sit-on) type kayak but it could easily be called a solo canoe in my opinion.  It is extremely stable and manuverable and it can carry a lot of stuff.  I liked it better than the typical solo canoes because of the seat.  It offers back support (which this ol' man needs desperately) and most canoes do not.  The lower center of gravity and seating arrangement helps it to be very stable.  When loading / unloading and when shooting, this will be a very important aspect.  My hunting and fishing is done in mostly flat water lakes and streams, with the occasional small rapids.  I needed something suitable for one person, stable to cast / shoot, easily steered and light of weight for portaging.  This was a full wish list but I believe the boat I chose does very well.
Sounds like my Native Ultimate, I have the 12' single, its my go-to single everytime now. After a lifetime of building and paddling pirogues, kayaks, canoes, etc, this is the single best comfy solution I've ever had by far. I could probably manage a shot if needed, but its a joy to have a full mesh seat and back. I can spend the day in this and never have back issues. In fact I have to make myself stop, never really need a break.
They make a 14' double that converts into a single when needed:

Native  

I'm telling ya, these are that good, would suggest a hard look.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©