3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what canoe for hunting?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what canoe for hunting?
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
I too have the  Native Ultimate 12' solo basic & love it, would like the 14.5' or 16' model for family trips.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Native ultimate 14.5 and get the tandem set-up if it's mostly just you. If you are looking more for full time tandem then I'd step up to the 16' they offer. They are super stable do to the H hull design, turn nice and yet track very well. Not sure how they make it handle so nice in all manuvers but it does.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
If you're thinking about a square stern with a motor you can't beat a Grumman Sportboat if you can find one.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
I have had an old style Coleman Scanoe (aluminum frame) for around a dozen years and love it. Bought it after fishing out of a buddies Scanoe for a while.  They are stable enough for one guy to stand and fish and can carry a good-sized load. I live in East TN and the rocks in the rivers can be rough on boats.  The scanoe has some battle scars, but is still in good shape. The frame tends to slide over rocks instead of sticking like aluminum does.  I have a 34 lb. trolling motor on it and it will push it pretty well even with my big butt and gear in it.  It isn't horrible to paddle, but the square stern doesn't slide through the water like a standard canoe will.  Have run mild Class 3s in it, but wouldn't recommend making a habit of it. I generally line it through rapids where I don't want to risk losing my gear.  The major downside to the Scanoe is the weight.  Mine tips the scales at around 120 pounds. I can load it on the roof rack by myself without too much of a problem, but I'm not a little guy. Although hope to work on that some this spring!  :)

The best canoe for you will depend on exactly what you want it for.  If you need a canoe that will run heavy rapids and/or be good for paddling long distances, then the Scanoe probably isn't your best bet. If you want ultra-stability and load hauling with the option of using a trolling motor to get where you want to go without having to paddle much, then I would definitely put the Scanoe on my short list.  

Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever one you get.  But be careful. Like with bows, canoes and kayaks can get addictive! Having just one won't do.  I'm now up to a canoe and 3 kayaks.   :rolleyes:

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
You guys guessed it, I have the Native Ultimate.  It wasn't cheap, but it is worth it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
I have decided on a Paw Paws pirouge. I should have it in march.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Hey Brian,

Send pics when you get it, let me know how you like it.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
I sure will.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Those with the native ultimate's, do you shot out of them sitting down or can you stand up to bow fish?  Is the 400-450 pound limit of the two solos enough for a 215 pound guy, his gear, and deer?

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Now your talking. I was looking at the Native Ultimate for bowfishing.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Mad Rivers are good, so are Old Town Discovery series. I used these to outfit guide trips on the Allagash up in Maine and they are close to bulletproof. Mad River bought Dagger and re-introduced the Legend, hell of a boat if you can stand the price tag.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
The Native's  seat back folds down so you can sit higher to shoot while seated.  I have not tried to shoot from it while standing.

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
for those that are concerned about standing up to shoot or fly cast from a canoe, these are pretty much bullet proof.   http://store.springcreek.com/Canoe-Accessories/Canoe-Accessories/Spring-Creek-Ethafoam-Stabilizer-Floats-Complete-Package-p1588.html  
 we have also used lashing bars from spring creek,to fix two canoes together, which makes two canoes more sea worthy than a pontoon boat.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I "test drove" the Native Ultimate 14.5 and 16' a couple years ago. The manufacturer is local and had a Demo Day nearby.  They are amazing but a bit pricey.  This is the time of year to shop for one on Craigslist (cabin fever/dirt time withdrawal makes folks forget what they paid for them, LOL) If you're looking for day trip stability, you probably can't do better.  The "lawn chair" back support type seats are priceless and removable.  Camping out of it would be pretty "minimalist" and in choppy water your gear may get wet if unprotected, due to it's low profile. I'd go with a light weight canoe if that was my goal.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
When things get rough, and they often do, some spare freeboard is always a handy thing.

Offline ridgerunner_sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Natives are great boats will look at the pawpaws
i always like the lighest boat for portages..  :campfire:

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
I have a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 Basic. Awesome Boat.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 05:27:00 AM »
The oldtown guide 119 from Dicks is a good looking boat for solo stuff. I have a yak and love it.RC

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »

My 13.5' Herters Goose &Duck skiff, circa 1976.  I lucked into this thing last year.  Paddles like a dream with a kayak paddle.  I added a cedar, false floor which adds some weight, but I traded a wheel bow for a small trailer.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Another pic....

"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©