3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for your thoughts on a Tall Tines  (Read 256 times)

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for your thoughts on a Tall Tines
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
I'm having Brian build a Tall Tines for me later this Spring.  I want the bow to finish at 62"

Here's what I want your thoughts on.  

Long Riser with shorter limbs or short riser with longer limbs?

Any real diference in performance in regards to limb vibration, stability, etc.?

I can tell you that I like the long riser for mass and that's the way I'm leaning, but just wanted some feedback on other options.

Thanks in advance, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for your thoughts on a Tall Tines
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:51:00 AM »
Ooh I am interested to hear this too!!

Going to try and convince my work a Tall Tines would be the perfect gift to celebrate 25 years employment... Worth a crack!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
I have one of each! I have a 62" short riser with long limbs at #57.....and a long riser with shorter limbs at #56.

I draw quite short (about 27-27 1/2) and love both bows. Before having them, I thought that the longer limbed bow would be noticeably smoother. After having the bows and spending time shooting both, I realized that I didn't draw the bows far enough back to see a difference in limb length performance. It seems as though with the shorter draw that the shorter limbed bow felt better for me. The weight of the long riser may contribute to this as well?

The problem in comparing the bows is that they both shoot so well that it's hard to compare. I suppose that if I drew over 30"s that my opinion may be different. For now, my long riser/shorter limb TT is my go to bow. The long limbed bow really is a rocket launcher though making it attractive. Something about that actionwood that has speed built in.

Oh yeah, both bows have flared risers and checkered grips....must haves in my opinion. Good luck with your choice!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
I am a Talltines fan as well, but I shoot Brian's longbow. I shoot a 64 inch version of that great bow. For me, a longer draw guy (30)', it fits me perfect. I have found that his 62" longbow is a bit tight.

The heavier mass is a longer handle is a big plus for me, so I would assume I would like the longer handle/limb combo in his recurve. As a matter of fact I am on the fence about what I want him to build me special for a trip to Africa next summer. Either way you won't go wrong. You'll love it!
Mike Davenport

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
If you want mass weight in your riser have him use a micarta flare. I have a lightweight Thunderhorn with it in it and love it. Super dead in the hand. Then you can go with the shorter riser if you would like.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Trap,

I have owned both. The long riser gets my vote, wish I would have kept that one,LOL. The short riser has a smaller sight window and did not fit my shooting style, Great bows but I prefer my Silvertips.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Some good points to think about. My draw is 28.5-29 so I'm sure either setup would work fine.  

I have a 62" now with a long riser and I love it.  I was just wondering about the shorter riser.

Ryan, did Brian do your checkering?  I have a Tall Tines with an amazing checkering job done by Dave but I know Brian checkers now also.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
I have not shot a Tall Tines....but I like a short riser and long working limbs, Like a  Black Widow PCH. I don't shoot very heavy bows so it's less of an issue for me but I think you can go a bit heavier with a shorter riser and longer limbs.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
I would for sure get the Short riser long limbs combination. I shoot 69# at 28" with 17" riser and 64" inch limbs that comes out to 62" length. It really makes a differnence in my accuracy.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Trap,

"Yep" ....Brian did the checkering...great job like everything he does.

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
I have a 62" w/ a short riser.  I had not shot for several weeks.  I took it out this morning & every arrow was near perfect.  Fits like a glove & spits arrows out quick.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
I have the long 18" riser and 2 sets of long limbs.64 inch bow.It has a custom grip and is checkered by Brian.The checkering job is excellant.I draw 30"

It shoots great and is very stable and dead accurrate.

Limbs that would make a 62 inch bow on this riser would definatly work well for you I believe.I was thinking about getting a set of those and Brian said they would be fine at my draw

I have had the 60 inch bow with the shorter 16 in. riser.It was nice as well.But I like this rig alot I have now!!!Its a tack driver.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Thanks for your input fellas, gives me a lot to think about.  

Trap

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
Trap,

I have a 62" on a long riser coming so I am not much help there.  I have four 60" TTs.  It is very hard to feel any difference between the one long riser and the other three which are the short riser to me.  Brian has one a great job on the design of all three limb lengths.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
I have short riser long limbed 62" recurve. Its tough to compare to my long riser long limb 64", but both bows shoot nice. I draw over 30 inches (sometimes) Ha! I think you will really like the bow that you have ordered. Another vote for checkered grips. Mike

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, I'll likely stay with the long riser for the mass.  It would be tough to beat the one I already have and since it shoots so well for me I'll stick with the same length.  I bought it from another Tradgang member and I suppose I'm just ordering another one to get the specs I want and the wood choices.  I'll definitely have the grip checkered.

Again, Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©