3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what ?'s do you ask bowyer when ordering a custom bow?  (Read 336 times)

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
what ?'s do you ask bowyer when ordering a custom bow?
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
let 'er rip.
thanks in advance for all responses
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what ?'s do you ask bowyer when ordering a custom bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Fastflight?
Center cut?
Finish used?
Reccomended draw?
Grip options?
Warranty?
Wait time?
Price?
Down Payment?
Wood options/core?
Shipping method?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
I ask him which of his bows he shoots and why. It's been a while since I ordered a whole bow since I got a DAS riser but once I needed a new chainsaw. I was advised to go to several places that sold them and ask which where the top 3. If any particular saw was always in the top 3 it was probably the  best one. Not sure how you could do that with bows but ask around. Starting here is a good first step.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
I think they covered it for ya.    :thumbsup:

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
How long of a bow based on my draw do they recommend?

What size of grip, length, width, depth as well as type.

String follow of straight and how quiet are your bows ... I am kinda nuts about noise.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
As an addition on the first answer:

Preferred GPP's
Speed
Maximum drawlenght
Drawlenght without stacking
Custom made grip
Stippled/checkered grip
Antler limb bolts
Antler/horn tips/riser options
Snakeskin
Inserts for bowquiver
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Would also pay careful attention to what the bowyer asks you!!!!!!!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I would, and have, ask "if you were building a bow for yourself and wanted the best performance for a bow at __# @ 28" - what length and limb material would you use".

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Wood that you have on hand show above average character/grain or color. This can and does vary alot in the same species of wood.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
It is important to know as much about the bowyer and his bows before you talk to him.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
How long is it gonna take to get it.....    :biglaugh:    Honestly it depends on if I have done business with the bowyer before. All the responses above have their place!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
I agree with Ron w. My first question is, are you going to deliver when you say you are going to deliver. I have a room full of custom bows and rarely does that happen. Actually, for you bowyers out there, this is the biggest reason why I have really cut down on bow purchases. My last order was dependent on the bow arriving before Christmas 2012, I said the only way I would order is if it was in my hands before then. I was promised it would be, then before Christmas all of these previous orders before my suddenly became present and now at the end of January I am still waiting. Ha! So realiability and honesty of bowyer is number one for me.
Dav

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Like many of you guys, I've gotten to hang around a few bowyer's shops to see the work done.

With all the hand labor in most operations, potential for missed weights, glue up issues, machinery breakdowns, I expect a bow to be built well and if I expect artisan level work, there can and often are delays.

Having said that, I also like to be kept apprised of time line changes as they occur and not a week before my promised delivery date.

Many of the questions above, I tend to find are good grist for discussions via email during my "waiting period"(to allow for the bowyer's free time to respond vs. phone calls).

Grip. Length. Style & draw weight... and after a discussion of my use and shooting style, get recommendations from the bowyer...along with a "projected" wait time-- then plunk down the money.

Details on wood, veneers, (Other than price points), brace, warranty issues, can follow...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
One thing I look for is a bowyer who's bows you very seldom see up for sell on classified adds and get snatched up in a hurry when they do.
I know a lot of guys buy and trade bows as a hobby.I tend to hold  on to mine.
I do my homework, talk to people at shoots, stalk the internet , and look for not only what is good about their product, but also try to find any criticism or complaints.

Then I start calling and asking questions.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
I ordered a custom bow from a very reputable bowyer , Was given a time of delivery from the date I plunked the money down to several months before my hunting season. I finally got the bow about three months after my hunting season was over.It was a really nice bow but the entire deal left a real bad taste in my mouth;

I made a deal with myself. I would never do that to another person if there was any way possible to not do that. In the entire time of building bows I can honestly say that I have never come close to a delivery date except when one customer who told me he had a thirty one inch draw called me just before delivery and said he had a 34 inch draw. I stopped the build and started a new bow and barely made the delivery date. It was tight but I do not feel it was my problem.
Here is how I do it. I literally do not take any orders after I have six builds going until I deliver a bow. Then I will take an order. I keep my deliverys generally around three months that way. I would rather continue that as I never run out of bows to build and I am never behind on my deliverys. Works for me. God seems to always provide more sales when I need them.'

Soooooooooo, first is delivery time.
second right or left hand
third exact bow model
fourth poundage
fifth grip style
sixth shooting style
seventh, finish
eighth is draw length
ninth is all the goodies. veneers, snakes, carving, ect which can all come after order but not before component build.
God bless you all, Steve
10th,OOPS did someone want a price ?

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Are you going to be in business in a year?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
1. Can I try before I buy
2. Do you have any bows in stock
3. Do they answer emails quickly
4. Do they sound happy to take your call or does it seem like you are bothering them.

No matter how good the bow is rated to be or how much hype they get on forums like this, if I get the wrong vibe from the bowyer, I'm moving on. The fact is there are many Great bowyers out there that make great bows, it come down to how comfortable you are with the man making the bow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Tooner:Are you going to be in business in a year?

My answer would be, I don't know if I'm going to be alive 1 second from now.
A liar would say sure I am.

Question is: Now who are you going to believe and who would you trust?

God bless you , Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Oddly enough the wait time isn't a big deal for me. I have other bows to shoot and frankly, when I order a new one its a little of a crap shoot anyway. Once I get the bow it may not be one I count on or want to keep.

I do hate too wait on a bow once it has been shipped. Usually the bows are shipped priority mail and the wait isn't bad. I've had 1 or 2 sent by Parcel Post (a new Bear from Bear).

I thought that bow was lost in the mail -- it took nearly 2 weeks! I thought I was going to be charged rent waiting in the USPS parking lot.

I tend to pay quite a lot of attention to some of the folks on this site. Many of them have been through more bows than I and have excellent taste. In fact, I buy more used ones than new ones.

I did however stumble upon a bow that is fast becoming a favorite. I had read about it but wasn't atracted to it - -until I had a chance to shoot one in January. Now I'm comparing every bow I own to this one in terms of smoothness of draw, hand-shock, pointability, and chrony speed.

As a matter-of-fact, my preferences in bow features is being severly tested at the moment!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I get asked alot if they can use fast flight, or not.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©