3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grip similar to Silvertip?  (Read 423 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Grip similar to Silvertip?
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I have a 58" Silvertip with the "A" riser and absolutely love the grip.  My hands are not large and it just fits me, however I really prefer a longer bow.  I believe 62" is probably the best for me as the shorter bows seem to magnify all of my form errors.  I suppose I could learn to shoot better, but I've been working on that for 45 years.  So, what I am looking for is a recurve with a grip similar in feel to the "A" riser Silvertip at 62".  No, Dave doesn't make limbs that will do that, and yes I have tried Tips with the "B" and "C" risers but found those too heavy.  I tried an older Blacktail Elite as I heard those were similar, but I found the front of the riser at the grip to be too angular.  That is, the squared off edges of the grip cut into my fingers when I wrapped them around the grip.  I have not tried a TallTines, but they look like they might have the same issue as the Blacktail.

So, what do those of you that know the Tip "A" riser have to offer as a suggestion for me to try?  I have done the Goldilocks thing and tried a number of different bows at shows over the past couple years, but have not found the one yet.

I had issues with all of these:
Hummingbird Kingfisher - wrist too low      
Stryker  - Grip too skinny
Kota  - Just felt funny
Foley  -  Grip too thick
Holm made
Tortelli
Hill Country
Palmer  - Grip to thick
Fedora   - don't like thumb rest

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grip similar to Silvertip?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
You might look at a Stalker,never shot one but have heard great things about them. I am a Tip shooter and have the long,medium and short and they all shoot great for me.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
Get a Fedora and have the thumb rest removed, or just pick the one you like the best all but the grip and then have the boyer copy the grip on the bow you like.  Send the the bow or riser  and most good boyers will get very close.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
I like myself the A Silvertip riser and with the #2 limbs it makes a 60".At my 29" it is more than confortable and equivalent to a 62" B riser.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
I don't really know what a Tip grip is like but you can check my website and see if any of those are similar. I have been known to build bows for people that liked a certain grip , Dale Dye comes to mind and He said I did it perfectly for him. Good pictures and hand tracing help. Another was a grip to match a Bob Lee. and he really liked that one. Those and Habus have real good grips. I would say my grip is kind of a combination of those.
God bless, Steve

God bless, Steve

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
I have a 17'' Tip riser,a Stalker,Zipper, GN Super ghost,and a Habu.
Of the four other recurves I have.The Zipper seems the closest to the Tip.As Sixby stated.The Habu's grip is very nice but seem to be cut lower than the Tip w/ a very thin throat.Stalker is
 more full in the palm and very nice.The GN is a super grip that is very hard to torque.
I have smallish hands and prefer the Habu's grip.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
SOme of the metal riser bows have very nice grips. I'm considering using one of these grips that I really like as the "form" the next time I have a custom bow built. that would be, I think a lot easier to ship off than a full riser of a favorite bow.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Ask Dave about your short riser with the 64" limbs! I bet that would be perfect for you.  :thumbsup:

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Pat two other that come to mind are the Tall Tines and Dale Dye.

The TT has a nice feel and lends itself to good shooting. The Dale Dye in my mind was a better feel than either. One TD recurve that is a sleeper but has a grip that you just climb into and shoot is a Leon Stewart TD recurve. If you can get to Baltimore this spring pick one up and shoot it you might be very surprised.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Pat two other that come to mind are the Tall Tines and Dale Dye.

The TT has a nice feel and lends itself to good shooting. The Dale Dye in my mind was a better feel than either. One TD recurve that is a sleeper but has a grip that you just climb into and shoot is a Leon Stewart TD recurve. If you can get to Baltimore this spring pick one up and shoot it you might be very surprised.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
what Sergio said x2

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Any bowyer should be able to copy your grip relatively easily. Pick the model bow u want talk to the bowyer and I am sure that they could help you.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Double post

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Asseinheimer is really close...another sleeper if you can find it is a Quinn Longhorn.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
My Stalker Coyote has a grip similar tony old Schafer. I know South will accommodate any grip requests as long as it doesn't mess with the integrity of the riser. He also has test drive program so you can try before you buy. Or try one then make any adjustments. Give South a call  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Is there a difference in the grip between the long and short Silvertip risers?  Just curious, I have a 62" bow and the grips look the same between it and the shorter risers I've seen in pictures.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks all for the great suggestions.  To answer a few questions:

Easykeeper - I found the A, B and C Silvertip risers to feel differently for me.  Maybe it is just me, or maybe the risers were made at different times, but I found the B and C risers to not only be heavier in mass weight (which makes sense because the are longer), but they also felt thicker in the throat and palm.

Sergio - Beth told me that they do not make any limbs that would make a 62" bow on the shorter "A" riser.

Sending the grip to a bowyer to match is an option I had not considered.  I guess if the bowyer can get the geometry of the limb pads to fit the shape of the riser that wouldn't be a problem.  I can't do that now though as I just traded the bow back to Tukudu (it was originally Tom's bow) last night.

It sounds to me like I need to try: Habu, Stalker, Tall Tines, Dale Dye, Eaglewing, Assenheimer, Quinn Longhorn and Rose Oak.  Time to break out the credit card and do some test driving.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Dale Dye, Robertson, or Tall Tines.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Kyle,

You live close.  Any chance you have all three and I could handle them?

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Stinger,
I live in Marshall Va.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©