3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Once in a lifetime adventures  (Read 212 times)

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Once in a lifetime adventures
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
I find myself in the position of going on a really big trip every few years. I am going to be going to Africa next year with gun and bow, and am looking at Africa again for Leopard and Buffalo the next year. I have not done a lot of overseas hunting and realize there may be more opportunities than what I am aware of ( Australia buffalo other? ). My priorities are not numbers of animials or trophies but on the overall experience of being outdoors in the pursuit of game and adventure.(I am not interested in anything of a short duration, one week trips are of no interest to me. The first Africa trip is 14 days and the second I am looking at 23 days). I would like to hear from others as to thier ideas as many of you have more experience in this than I. Thanks.
David
Dav

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Once in a lifetime adventures
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
My once in a lifetime trip was in AK...It started in WA and headed north through BC & YK Canada until I re-entered into the US/AK. The trip involved renting an RV and lasted almost a month. We drove through the Ak-Can highway, which was 99 percent dirt road. We stayed in a couple of cabins, tents along the way also. We camped, hiked, fished and hunted as we got to see what most people only see in movies or pictures, if you are from the lower 48. We took "time off", 10 days to fly in/drop in the remote tundra, and hunt. And then it was back on the road. It would take several pages to write about all the experiences, stories and excitement. I also always keep a diary of all my distant hunts and trips to someday sit down and either reflect or tell to my grand kids some day as my grandfather did.

JL

:archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Iron Man2. A nice road trip would be a great idea, combine it with visits and a few hunting trips in different areas.
Dav

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Alaska would sure be a dream destination for me.  Been there once, and have always wanted to return.  

But when it comes down to it what calls loudest to me is the western states of the lower 48.  It would be very easy to spend as much as six weeks hunting mule deer in the early season, followed by antelope, and then finishing it off with two or three weeks of elk hunting.  

I did do a three week trip a couple of years ago and that was heaven.  Having extra time allows you the luxury of taking a morning or afternoon off occasionally if needed to recharge a bit or to skip a patch of bad weather.  Although when I was there I rarely did that - always seemed to be a new spot to check out somewhere.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
My UBER dream hunt is spot and stalk for an Alaskan Kodiak Brown Bear on the beach using my Hill-style longbow and Kodiak tipped Douglas Fir arrows...sans rifle back up....

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
My dream hunt would be bighorn hunt some where and then after that a moose. Elk would be awesome as well but they dont stir my blood like a moose or big ram

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I'd love to do a grizzly hunt in BC or Alaska but the only way that's going to happen is if I win he lottery and that's not real likely as I think you actually need to buy a ticket in order to win.    :p

I think my "once in a lifetime" occurred last spring in Alberta - far and away the best hunt I've ever been on.

Interesting thread... Fun to dream a little.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Those hunts sure sound great Davt!  I'd love to bowhunt Cape Buffalo but I I'd have to bump up the draw weight on my curves higher than I could probably manage.

Jake, you and I are working from a similar list!  My first would also be Bighorn (or any of the sheep). Second would be Kodiaks, and third is moose. I'd prefer the AK/Yukon variety but Canada or Shiras would make the cut.

Mailed my deposit last week to Alberta to make #3 can happen. I'm now seriously rethinking my choice of bows as I intend to settle on the go-to bow for this year much earlier than normal.

I'm going to bump up the draw weight about 4 pounds from my deer rig.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
I would settle for a week hunting hogs in Texas. It would be great with my son and a few trad. friends.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
My dream hunt will probably never happen but it would be a dream nonetheless....

My wife is from Kemerovo Siberia which lays smack dab in the middle of Russia close to the border of China. To the east there is a lake called Baikal. It is unique as it holds over 20% of the WORLDS fresh water, 1/5th!!! It has a veritable smorgasbord of game animals and even a seal species that is found nowhere else on earth. It is only about a five hours from my wife’s parents home. Here is the kicker as of this time though you can hunt this area now with a gun bow hunting is illegal, Arrrrrrrrrgggg ...

still I dream ...........

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Dream hunt for me. American buffalo on horseback.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I'm going to be watching this thread for ideas.  Now that I'm retired I have the time, and would love to go hunting for a month.

Dave
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©